How do i port forward with my modem?

DudeWhatTheN

I've been trying for ages, but none of the tutorials cover my modem (it's a nokia one...)

When i enter the modem settings with my ip, it apparenly is of GPON.

Anyways, when i go into the port forward section, this shows up.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/jwACr.pngNow, where do i put the port to forward, and where my ip?

(I've been trying to make a minecraft server)

Please help, this is a little complicated!

WAN port and LAN port are where you put the port, and Internal client where you put the server's IP. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

WAN port and LAN port are where you put the port, and Internal client where you put the server's IP. 

so i put in 25565-25565 in wan and lan, and in internal client i put my ip?

I already done that but apparently it doesnt work

Just now, DudeWhatTheN said:

so i put in 25565-25565 in wan and lan, and in internal client i put my ip?

I already done that but apparently it doesnt work

Did you also check the "Enable mapping" - box?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Who is your ISP? It's possible they are using CGNAT in which case port forwarding won't work.

When you look on your router at the WAN IPv4 address is it between 100.64.x.x to 100.127.x.x or 10.x.x.x?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Did you also check the "Enable mapping" - box?

No, what does it do?

I think I have the same modem. How I do it is just enter the port you want to forward in the wan and lan textboxes, then enter the ip address(or select from the list) to which you want to forward the port and then check "enable mapping". That absolutely works for me.
For eg I wanted to forward the RDP port(3389) to a computer, it would look like this:
image.png.78475ce80af56e8122f97d25ec775a9e.png

(I also selected TCP/UDP since for some odd reason my RDP did not work otherwise)
I dont know if what I am doing is the correct way, but what I know for sure is that it works just fine.

EDIT: Dont forget to click Add!

"Coding skill isn’t about knowing how to make things; It’s about being able to find the right Stack Overflow code to copy paste."

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

4 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

No, what does it do?

It turns the port forwarding rule on.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

No, what does it do?

It turns the settings on. If you just click on "Add", the rules you set up will just be added to the list of port-forwarding rules, but it's not enabled and thus won't do anything. You need to enable the rule for it to actually do something, which is what the checkbox is for.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Update: i've done all these things, but my friend can't connect!

I can connect to my server, but he can't.

7 minutes ago, DudeWhatTheN said:

Update: i've done all these things, but my friend can't connect!

I can connect to my server, but he can't.

Are they trying to connect to the WAN IP-address or the LAN-address? They should be connecting to the WAN-address, not the LAN-address.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Are they trying to connect to the WAN IP-address or the LAN-address? They should be connecting to the WAN-address, not the LAN-address.

he's connecting trough the internal cllient and the wan/lan port (they're the same)

he's connecting trough the internal cllient and the wan/lan port (they're the same)

I did not say anything about port, I said IP-address. Not the same thing.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I did not say anything about port, I said IP-address. Not the same thing.

Sorry, i'm new to this.

Aren't the wan ip address and the lan ip address the same thing?

Precisely not. 

LAN IP address is the one you set up to your server within your network. WAN one is the public IP address your ISP gives you, and that's what someone connecting to you from the outside needs.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Aren't the wan ip address and the lan ip address the same thing?

No, they aren't the same thing. To simplify things, LAN is your local, small-scale network and only devices in LAN are supposed to be able to directly connect to other devices on LAN. WAN is the Internet; you don't want any random computer from the Internet being able to directly access all your devices, which is why LAN and WAN are separate networks and port-forwarding is needed: port-forwarding makes the modem/router transfer traffic from WAN to LAN in a controlled way, without letting everything through.

Use e.g. https://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check your WAN-side IP-address and tell your buddy to connect to that.

No, they aren't the same thing. To simplify things, LAN is your local, small-scale network and only devices in LAN are supposed to be able to directly connect to other devices on LAN. WAN is the Internet; you don't want any random computer from the Internet being able to directly access all your devices, which is why LAN and WAN are separate networks and port-forwarding is needed: port-forwarding makes the modem/router transfer traffic from WAN to LAN in a controlled way, without letting everything through.

Use e.g. https://www.whatsmyip.org/ to check your WAN-side IP-address and tell your buddy to connect to that.

Thank you! It works.

Now we can play in peace!

Thank you! It works.

Now we can play in peace!

Your WAN IP-address may occasionally change, so if your buddy can't connect, check with the service I linked what the new address is.

Other than that, have fun, kids!

Your WAN IP-address may occasionally change, so if your buddy can't connect, check with the service I linked what the new address is.

Other than that, have fun, kids!

Hehe, thanks edit: i'm 15 btw

If you sign up for a free Dynamic IP from a place like Noip.Com, you never have to worry about your Wan Address Changing.. And it will eventually.

You sign up.. install the "duc" program
Pick your sub domain name. IE.. mygameserver.ddns.net
Everyone connects to the domain name instead of your direct Wan Ip..
The only downside is that you have to click a link once a month(sent in email) to keep the domain active but then again.. its free.. 

Inkedmyddns_LI.jpg