Network card resets randomly once or twice a day resulting in momentary cut off of internet connection.

Tanaz

Okay here's a strange one: Once or twice a day (sometimes once every couple of days) my internet stops momentairily and it's incredibly frustrating because it's almost always happening when I'm playing games. Disconnecting in the middle of a league game is incredibly frustrating especially if it's during an important point in the game.

My motherboard is the X570TUF Gaming Plus and I use it's network card. Windows 10 latest build.

Windows Event Viewer states the following:

The network interface "Realtek Gaming GbE Family Controller" has begun resetting.  There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver detected that its hardware has stopped responding to commands. This network interface has reset 1 time(s) since it was last initialized.

What I've tried:

1. Calling my ISP. They put my connection in monitoring mode and I logged the exact times of day at which it happened. Their response is that there was no connection loss to my router.

2. Installing latest LAN drivers from ASUS's website. AND from Realtek's website.

3. Fully reinstalling Windows. (Yes I went that far)

What I didn't manage to try is test if wifi devices were working (but they most likely were) during this time simply because the connection cuts off for 5-10 seconds which is not enough time for me to get my phone and actually test shit out.

My question is - what makes a network interface reset? Is it my network card dying/other hardware issue or is this normal whenever the internet connection cuts off? Should I simply resort to an external Network card or is there a way to salvage this? If you guys have any questions that I've failed to ask please feel free.

Ada is worse than Ampere which is worse than Fermi, change my mind.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
    2X16GB Kingston Fury 3200mhz
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    Main: ASUS PG27AQDM 240hz 1440p WOLED
    Secondary: Alienware AW2521HF 1080p 240hz
    Third: Samsung C34F791 UltraWide 1440p 100hz
    Fourth: LG 48' C2 OLED TV
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
    Logitech Z906 / Sennheiser 560s / Rode NT-USB
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

Okay here's a strange one: Once or twice a day (sometimes once every couple of days) my internet stops momentairily and it's incredibly frustrating because it's almost always happening when I'm playing games. Disconnecting in the middle of a league game is incredibly frustrating especially if it's during an important point in the game.

My motherboard is the X570TUF Gaming Plus and I use it's network card. Windows 10 latest build.

Windows Event Viewer states the following:

What I've tried:

1. Calling my ISP. They put my connection in monitoring mode and I logged the exact times of day at which it happened. Their response is that there was no connection loss to my router.

2. Installing latest LAN drivers from ASUS's website. AND from Realtek's website.

3. Fully reinstalling Windows. (Yes I went that far)

What I didn't manage to try is test if wifi devices were working (but they most likely were) during this time simply because the connection cuts off for 5-10 seconds which is not enough time for me to get my phone and actually test shit out.

My question is - what makes a network interface reset? Is it my network card dying/other hardware issue or is this normal whenever the internet connection cuts off? Should I simply resort to an external Network card or is there a way to salvage this? If you guys have any questions that I've failed to ask please feel free.

WiFi or Ethernet? What do you mean with network card reseting ?

Bad cables.

Router rebooting.

DHCP expiring ?

Slow internet, somebody else using the internet too.

Bad WiFi coverage  if your are on wireless

Not enough info to go on ... 

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

WiFi or Ethernet? What do you mean with network card reseting ?

Bad cables.

Router rebooting.

DHCP expiring ?

Slow internet, somebody else using the internet too.

Bad WiFi coverage  if your are on wireless

Not enough info to go on ... 

Ethernet cable. I don't have the Wifi version of the board.  Cable is almost brand new ( was installed last year) and it doesn't go under the floor but rather along the wall and there is no pressure on it whatsoever. The Router can't possibly reboot in 10 seconds as whenever I've manually rebooted it it takes between 40 seconds and a minute. I should also mention that the router is provided by the ISP and an optical cable goes in it. Then it transfers the optical signal to normal ethernet standard. The speed is perfectly fine, it's gigabit up and gigabit down. It's just a temporary cutoff in the connection for 5-10 seconds.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

6 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

Ethernet cable. I don't have the Wifi version of the board.  Cable is almost brand new ( was installed last year) and it doesn't go under the floor but rather along the wall and there is no pressure on it whatsoever. The Router can't possibly reboot in 10 seconds as whenever I've manually rebooted it it takes between 40 seconds and a minute. I should also mention that the router is provided by the ISP and an optical cable goes in it. Then it transfers the optical signal to normal ethernet standard. The speed is perfectly fine, it's gigabit up and gigabit down. It's just a temporary cutoff in the connection for 5-10 seconds.

Are you sure your internet is gigabit ? and if your internet is gigabit what is your LAN 10GB ?

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

Are you sure your internet is gigabit ? and if your internet is gigabit what is your LAN 10GB ?

Yes? I am sure. Well it's not "guaranteed" speed so most of the time it hovers around 700mbits up/ down. The router that the ISP gave me is not exactly a "router". It has an optical input (where the internet connection goes in and 4 LAN ports. 1 Of these ports is a gigabit connection and the other 3 are for connecting TV receivers (basically we receive our television through the internet too).

Here's my current speed: ( keep in mind it's peak hours right now so it's at its lowest point)

image.png.844689105055dc9fe329f47b3b2df8f3.png

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

Yes? I am sure. Well it's not "guaranteed" speed so most of the time it hovers around 700mbits up/ down. The router that the ISP gave me is not exactly a "router". It has an optical input (where the internet connection goes in and 4 LAN ports. 1 Of these ports is a gigabit connection and the other 3 are for connecting TV receivers (basically we receive our television through the internet too).

Here's my current speed: ( keep in mind it's peak hours right now so it's at its lowest point)

image.png.844689105055dc9fe329f47b3b2df8f3.png

So your LAN is what ? 10GB ?

2 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

So your LAN is what ? 10GB ?

My network card is the Realtek® L8200A Gigabit. The router itself is 1gigabit too. Whenever a TV is on in the house it pulls around 10-15mbits and whenever something is being used with Wifi it also pulls from the speed. There ain't nothing that is 10gbit in the house.

System:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS X570 TUF
  • RAM
  • GPU
    PowerColor 6950XT
  • Case
    Fractal Torrent
  • Storage
    A lot of SSDs
  • PSU
    Seasonic 1000W Platinum
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
  • Keyboard
    Ducky Shine 7
  • Mouse
    GPX Superlight
  • Sound
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, Tanaz said:

My network card is the Realtek® L8200A Gigabit. The router itself is 1gigabit too. Whenever a TV is on in the house it pulls around 10-15mbits and whenever something is being used with Wifi it also pulls from the speed. There ain't nothing that is 10gbit.

Something does not add up you can not have gigabit internet with gigabit LAN, not enough bandwidth. When you go gigabit internet then Lan is something higher