Friend built new PC and reused windows

Kanna

My friend reused his windows install for his new PC because he didn't have any USB or isn't any technical how many issues would he run into and how many is avoidable?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Many to none. Totally depends on luck really as windows is genuinely random with this. Can get issues down the line where the machine gets crippled, have performance issues,.. who knows. It;s always best to just go and start from 0

Just now, jaslion said:

Many to none. Totally depends on luck really as windows is genuinely random with this. Can get issues down the line where the machine gets crippled, have performance issues,.. who knows. It;s always best to just go and start from 0

What can I do to prevent as many issues as possible?

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Just now, Kanna said:

What can I do to prevent as many issues as possible?

Do a fresh copy of windows. You can't prevent this stuff. It's windows getting broken at it's core due to mismatching drivers, hardware,... basically the moment you plug in a drive from one system to another it can start a cascade effect even if you return the install things might still get wonky as now windows knows 2 sets of hardware.

Just now, jaslion said:

Do a fresh copy of windows. You can't prevent this stuff. It's windows getting broken at it's core due to mismatching drivers, hardware,... basically the moment you plug in a drive from one system to another it can start a cascade effect even if you return the install things might still get wonky as now windows knows 2 sets of hardware.

How would I reinstall windows then?

Reminder⚠️

2 minutes ago, Kanna said:

How would I reinstall windows then?

Get a usb. A generic 8gb usb should be dirt cheap. Make the bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and boom go from there.

Just now, jaslion said:

Get a usb. A generic 8gb usb should be dirt cheap. Make the bootable usb with the windows media creation tool and boom go from there.

A few problems 1 lockdown n shit 2 my friend isn't really technical

Reminder⚠️

7 minutes ago, Kanna said:

A few problems 1 lockdown n shit 2 my friend isn't really technical

Order one? Get one from a grocery store when grocery shopping? Many options that are no risk to no increased risk. That and literally just sit in a videocall with them. I've done this so many times and if people just blindly follow your instructions it's as easy as can be. Just be specific and keep it as simple as possible.

Example: you now need to wipe your drive so select one of the things called disk 0 and then click delete. Do this for all the others one by one labelled disk 0. After you did that you will see there is something called unallocated space. Select that and click on next.

They don't need to know what it does or anything just perform a simple task so keep the technical stuff as low as possible and just be patient.

40 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Example: you now need to wipe your drive so select one of the things called disk 0 and then click delete. Do this for all the others one by one labelled disk 0. After you did that you will see there is something called unallocated space. Select that and click on next.

I wonder if I can use this example for something.... hmmm... I wonder...

🙂Midnight.GG. Do you want a prize?

- order any USB drive you can get that is atleast 8GB (preferably 16GB or larger) and USB 3.0 for faster read/write

- make a bootable USB install drive (you can find instructions on Microsoft's official website)
- have atleast the latest GPU driver included in your USB drive

- install windows on your PC (but don't connect it to the internet yet because Windows Update is shit until you get a handle on things)
- install your latest GPU driver
- connect to the internet

- update your Windows to the latest build

- buy a Windows Activation Key from reputable sellers to activate your WIndows

*note: it's always better to install fresh Windows because the random bugs in the software that occur from having random drivers from your previous PC that the new one doesn't need will almost always bite you down the line* 

6 minutes ago, YoMz said:

- order any USB drive you can get that is atleast 8GB (preferably 16GB or larger) and USB 3.0 for faster read/write

- make a bootable USB install drive (you can find instructions on Microsoft's official website)
- have atleast the latest GPU driver included in your USB drive

- install windows on your PC (but don't connect it to the internet yet because Windows Update is shit until you get a handle on things)
- install your latest GPU driver
- connect to the internet

- update your Windows to the latest build

- buy a Windows Activation Key from reputable sellers to activate your WIndows

*note: it's always better to install fresh Windows because the random bugs in the software that occur from having random drivers from your previous PC that the new one doesn't need will almost always bite you down the line* 

Can't I reuse the previously activated windows?

Reminder⚠️

1 minute ago, Kanna said:

Can't I reuse the previously activated windows?

I don't think you can (assuming you have totally different parts for your PC) because even if you call in for the phone line support from Windows, you can't really say that it's just an upgrade if all of the parts are totally different from your previous one... it was common practice to call in support when there was an installation issue when upgrading individual parts for your PC, yes I am old 😟

1 minute ago, YoMz said:

I don't think you can (assuming you have totally different parts for your PC) because even if you call in for the phone line support from Windows, you can't really say that it's just an upgrade if all of the parts are totally different from your previous one... it was common practice to call in support when there was an installation issue when upgrading individual parts for your PC, yes I am old 😟

But it says rn windows is activated

Reminder⚠️

@YoMzcan I use the reset function inside windows?

Reminder⚠️

49 minutes ago, Kanna said:

@YoMzcan I use the reset function inside windows?

the "Reset this PC" function from windows only functions as basically a "restore" point to the base build of WIndows 10... but I've never personally tried that when swapping out components... if you don't really want to buy a new license then you can do pretty much whatever you want (ofcourse there are risks with this, so tread lightly) I still stand by my original suggestions, though...

Just now, YoMz said:

the "Reset this PC" function from windows only functions as basically a "restore" point to the base build of WIndows 10... but I've never personally tried that when swapping out components... if you don't really want to buy a new license then you can do pretty much whatever you want (ofcourse there are risks with this, so tread lightly) I still stand by my original suggestions, though...

Yeah we used the reset function and as I said the windows seems to be activated

Reminder⚠️