Loud "clack" sound when turning off new PSU

Mark Kaine

PSU: Bequiet Straight Power 11 650w 

So everything seems to work fine, except when I turn off the PC (ie shut down) *clack*

Every time. Rather loud. Sounds mechanical, not electrical, even though that's hard to say exactly. 

Old PSU (Bequiet Pure Power 10) didn't do that, it was actually... silent. 

So is this normal or somehow a sign of a dying PSU? Kinda tempted to RMA the longer I think about it - but then I just don't know why it does that and if it's "normal"? 

PS: I don't think it's that, tho it could be...?  because A it's not doing that when turning the PC on, and B, it's not a "click" sound at all more like if someone throws a book on a table or something 

Most of our power supply units (PSUs) have an inrush current bypass relay that makes a *click* noise when the PC turns on and off. This is considered normal and not a defect.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

It's a relay and it's normal. My SP 11 450w does the same.

it does sound like a relay yeah. so is yours doing this when turning on and off, or just off? 

Because mine does it only when turning off apparently. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

PSU: Bequiet Straight Power 11 650w 

So everything seems to work fine, except when I turn off the PC (ie shut down) *clack*

Every time. Rather loud. Sounds mechanical, not electrical, even though that's hard to say exactly. 

So is this normal or somehow a sign of a dying PSU? Kinda tempted to RMA the longer I think about it - but then I just don't know why it does that and if it's "normal"? 

PS: I don't think it's that, tho it could be...?  because A it's not doing that when turning the PC on, and B, it's not a "click" sound at all more like if someone throws a book on a table or something 

And why are you turning off the PSU?

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Only when I close the system in Windows. I never turn off the switch on the back of the psu or pull it out of the wallsocket.

12 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Only when I close the system in Windows. I never turn off the switch on the back of the psu or pull it out of the wallsocket.

yeah that's what I do, just shut down from windows. OK thanks I'm just going to guess it's the inrush current thing... 

now that I think about it my old psu did this but it was basically almost inaudible... 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

11 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

now that I think about it my old psu did this but it was basically almost inaudible... 🤔

The pure power 10 does not have a bypass relay for the NTC thermistor, which is what provides the protection against inrush current. That's why you didn't hear the click of a relay on your old unit. Cheaper power supplies typically don't have the relay.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

That's why you didn't hear the click of a relay on your old unit. Cheaper power supplies typically don't have the relay.

Well it did make some very faint click sounds sometimes but that probably was just from cooling down or whatever, it's definitely a completely different sound - but yes that makes sense (I also couldn't really find info about my old psu, only for the pure power 11)

I was just a bit scared because it's really kinda loud - they should have a "don't panic" section in their manuals for stuff like this. 😄

I'm also still a bit shocked about the Seasonic PRIME GX I ordered recently tbh, which upon plugging it in immediately gave up the ghost with a pretty similar sound (was more like a fuse tho) and I thought "not again..." when I heard this relay sound, but yes everything seems to be working fine! Coulda swear it makes a similar sound when turning it on too btw, just not quite as loud. 🤔

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity