I think i may have gone overboard a bit.

count_zero99uk
I bought an m.2 drive for the os, but i think i may have gone a  bit overboard.

I bought the Samsung 980 Pro 1tb.  Im now wondering if there may be a better use for this and to use some other drives for the os.

I have a Samsung 850 Evo 250gb and a Samsung 860 Evo 1tb

Is the 250gb large enough for, and not much slower (in real world terms) than the nvme to use that as the boot/os drive.  And then to use the new m.2 nvem and the sata ssd for games storage?

My motherboard has gen 4 pcie so id be getting the most out of the m.2 nvme drive. 

Thanks.

On another note, am i right in thinking SSDs have a limited life due to read/write limits?  What should i look out for if one is starting to fail?

Thanks again
Brian.

Besides the size difference,  for gaming you're looking at basically no  perceivable difference gaming or honestly most tasks 

Also wouldn't worry about drive longevity with quality ssd's 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

IMO.

If you've bought it, why not use it? You probably will not see any significant difference for either os or games compared to older ssd-s, but still if you already have it - just install OS on it and then use extra space left for other things which might theoretically benefit from faster SSD (games?). There is no reason and no real benefit in having dedicated drive for OS when using ssd-s apart from some special cases.

As for write endurance - you can always see % use of what manufacturer guarantee in SMART. That said - do not bother too much, it is very unlikely that you will ever exhaust it. You'll either replace the drive as obsolete or it will fail for unrelated reason before it happens.