ubiquiti Dream machine pro ssd worth it ?

Escapenz

Hey all, hope this is the right place to post this as i guess its network gear haha. About to build my dream network set up. Now I'm wondering if SSD in the dream machine pro and the NVR is worth the extra cost and hit vs normal HDD. Currently I'm looking at get 5x Samsung QVO 2tb drives. Plan is to have a totally of 10 x 1080p and 2x 4k cameras. I imagine the plan back would be nice and snappy vs WD purple drives ? 

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

• 3 months later...

I know it's a old thread. But the answer is yes yes yes yes.

So alot of consensus online seems to be that ssds shouldn't be needed for video storage. However I'm not sure if it's because of how unifi stores clips. But I've seen a significant improvement in clip loading time. Let's say you get a notification for motion. You can click it on ios and once the app opens the clip is loaded within a second on the timestamp of motion.

Before with a Wd red disk, it took a couple seconds. Especially once you have filled up the disk

I've also heard that notifications are being sent out faster. Not tested myself 

I can attest however that for me it gave significant performance improvement in clip loading times and scrubbing through timelines

Another concern you always see is it will destroy you ssd. And yes sure it will, given time. 

For my use case, 4x g4 pro and g4 doorbell at max bitrate it uses around 400gb a day. I'm using a 8tb Samsung qvo. This gives me 20 days of history. 

This disk is rated for 360 writing the whole disk. Meaning I should get according to the rating 19 years out of it. Let's say it's half. 10 years. I'm pretty sure I'd be upgrading by then anyway. 

Just look at the raw numbers