Is my PSU faulty/dead?

hei3327
Go to solution Solved by Longsh07,
21 minutes ago, hei3327 said:

I tested the PSU with paper clip, the fan spins momentarily then stops.

As long as the PSU doesn't have a 'silent mode' where the fan is off at low loads (doesn't look it from Cooler Masters website) then I think you can be pretty confident the PSU is faulty. RMA it, they may want you to do further tests but it sounds to me like you've done everything you can聽馃憤

Hey, First time PC builder here and I wanna ask if I have a faulty PSU so I could RMA it.

The thing is, when I try to push the front power button, it made a static noise and the fans (cpu and psu fans) spins for a bit then stop.

I don't know about hardware but I want to try building it first hand so I could experience building my own PC.

I am using CoolerMaster V650X SFX PSU.

Dunno if聽 it's just for me.

But I can't hear any sound in that video.

It seems fine, I mean, it's lighting up your RAM, which means it is supplying power. What are you expecting to happen that isn't happening? From what I could see and hear, that was totally normal.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X聽@ 4.0聽GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

10 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Dunno if聽 it's just for me.

But I can't hear any sound in that video.

Another clip

I have uploaded a clip with audible sound.

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

It seems fine, I mean, it's lighting up your RAM, which means it is supplying power. What are you expecting to happen that isn't happening? From what I could see and hear, that was totally normal.

My FUMA2 cooler, GPU and case fans acted like their about to spin then few seconds it stop. Also had a static clicking sound.

Just now, hei3327 said:

My FUMA2 cooler, GPU and case fans acted like their about to spin then few seconds it stop. Also had a static clicking sound.

I mean, if the PSU turns on/off, a single click is not unexpected. If it is constantly clicking, that is a problem (but I couldn't hear that).聽

More importantly, though, what are you expecting to happen when you hit the power button? Is your build finished, and you're expecting it to boot to the BIOS? If so, I suggest looking at the POST code if your motherboard has one, or the debug LEDs if it has those. They should give some indication as to what part of the bootup is failing.聽

If those aren't present on your board, or you're not even getting to the point where they light up, I'd check your power connectors and make sure they are all properly connected. An easy thing to mess up, but it is more likely than a DOA PSU

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X聽@ 4.0聽GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

I mean, if the PSU turns on/off, a single click is not unexpected. If it is constantly clicking, that is a problem (but I couldn't hear that).聽

More importantly, though, what are you expecting to happen when you hit the power button? Is your build finished, and you're expecting it to boot to the BIOS? If so, I suggest looking at the POST code if your motherboard has one, or the debug LEDs if it has those. They should give some indication as to what part of the bootup is failing.聽

If those aren't present on your board, or you're not even getting to the point where they light up, I'd check your power connectors and make sure they are all properly connected. An easy thing to mess up, but it is more likely than a DOA PSU

Previously I was finish building my PC and testing it in a monitor, but the just didn't display and the case fans and tower cooler doesn't spin their fans compare to some youtube videos I watch, right after they install the PSU and push the power button, the fans are spinning.

I follow the guide on my motherboard manual and double checked each psu cables and still it does not display.

My motherboard doesn't have any Debug LEDs

On 1/23/2021 at 5:15 PM, --SID-- said:

Maybe a short somewhere. Test the system outside the case.

Hi, I tried to test the system outside the case but the result is the same.

Could be a faulty PSU as I've seen this behaviour before. I assume you don't have another PSU available to test with?

its obvious and I doubt the issue but I'd start by double checking that the cable for the power switch is connected to the right header. I suspect it is but rule that one out first just to be safe. Then perhaps try powering up with only the bare minimum connected. IE remove your GPU and any storage devices you have so that you are left with just the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and cooler. If things start spinning up in that config then reconnect things one at a time until you find the culprit.

12 hours ago, Longsh07 said:

Could be a faulty PSU as I've seen this behaviour before. I assume you don't have another PSU available to test with?

its obvious and I doubt the issue but I'd start by double checking that the cable for the power switch is connected to the right header. I suspect it is but rule that one out first just to be safe. Then perhaps try powering up with only the bare minimum connected. IE remove your GPU and any storage devices you have so that you are left with just the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and cooler. If things start spinning up in that config then reconnect things one at a time until you find the culprit.

Unfortunately I don't have any extra PSU to test with.

Currently I just connected only the 24pins cable so I could isolate the problem, only the tower cooler, ram, m.2 are currently installed but the result is still the same.

I also tested the system outside the case and it also fail.

12 hours ago, Longsh07 said:

May I know, what power switch are you talking about. Is it the cable together with front panel USB and audio?

8 hours ago, hei3327 said:

Unfortunately I don't have any extra PSU to test with.

Currently I just connected only the 24pins cable so I could isolate the problem, only the tower cooler, ram, m.2 are currently installed but the result is still the same.

I also tested the system outside the case and it also fail.

OK, good to know. What motherboard do you have? There should be a 4 or 8 pin connector (usually top left corner on motherboard). Make sure that is connected too.

7 hours ago, hei3327 said:

May I know, what power switch are you talking about. Is it the cable together with front panel USB and audio?

That's the one, the case power button. Just check it's on the right header.聽

3 hours ago, Longsh07 said:

OK, good to know. What motherboard do you have? There should be a 4 or 8 pin connector (usually top left corner on motherboard). Make sure that is connected too.

I'm using B550i Aorus Pro AX and yes I connected the 8 pin CPU cable near the tower cooler fan pin.

3 hours ago, Longsh07 said:

That's the one, the case power button. Just check it's on the right header.聽

Already checked and its on the right header based on the motherboard manual.

21 minutes ago, hei3327 said:

As long as the PSU doesn't have a 'silent mode' where the fan is off at low loads (doesn't look it from Cooler Masters website) then I think you can be pretty confident the PSU is faulty. RMA it, they may want you to do further tests but it sounds to me like you've done everything you can聽馃憤