I'm completely upgrading my PC. EVERYTHING. And I need your help! YES- YOU!

HeyoDylo
Go to solution Solved by HeyoDylo,
2 minutes ago, progamer21 said:

made a pcpp for you you might want to consider a cheaper monitor bcz I couldn't find a good price

are these parts better than what I have currently??

I know some parts of the PC. GPU, CPU, Motherboard, Hard-drive- yada-yada-yada.

However, I'm not too much of a tech-savvy guy. Now, I'm getting some new parts in which I will mention soon, but let's get to the stuff I currently have.

I bought my PC 2 years ago (best buy, yes i bought it there please dont judge me i was a first timer okay) , almost being three years. Some of my parts are starting to get a little worn out from the heavy use of demanding titles, (Fortnite, Apex, Gmod, CS:GO) and from long periods of gaming. 

Currently, I have:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
CPU: AMD FX 6300 Six-Core-Proccessor, 3500 Mhz.
GPU: AMD RX560.
Storage: 900 GB. 

Those are the main parts, I have my PSU in mind, and so as my RAM sticks.

My computer is a good 500-600$ build. Not terrible but somewhat okay. Can run Fortnite at 40 FPS when it has bad connection, and a stable 102 FPS when its having a good day. I need something that will provide me the best performance while not costing me the price of house rent. I'm not that rich guys. 

Monitors, Only one, and only going to use one for a while.
Resolution? 1920 x 1080 75 Hz. (i want 144 hz ;(((((((

US dollars btw

So, here are some of the parts I was considering, also know, that I still need to figure out my RAM sticks, and my PSU, and thats where I need your help, oh dearest of linus technology advice forums.
(PIW means, part i want)
(NI-MSRP means nearly impossible to find at the retail price)

PIW (MOTHERBOARD) : Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

PIW (CPUS: here is some of the stuff i think that could be compatible, and im just seeing which one is the best of the pick) 

AMD Ryzen 3 3300x
AMD Ryzen 3 3100G
AMD Athlon 200GE
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
(or i can just keep my current processor.

PIW (GPU's: here is some of the stuff i think that could be compatible, and im just seeing which one is the best of the pick)
- RTX 3060 TI 
NI-MSRP
- AMD RX 580 NI-MSRP
- AMD RX 570 NI-MSRP

RAM is still an issue, power supply too. That's why I need the fourms' help.

Questions I NEED answered before upgrading.

- First, I watch some videos about replacing a motherboard, and people keep saying to Update the BIOS, or if you want to transfer data to your newly upgraded motherboard, i need to have a boot-drive. What does all of this even mean?! I have literally no idea how to update a BIOS or to even transfer data? Can someone fill me in entirely step by step on how to do this?! (AND DETAILED PLEASE! explain pc parts to me like if I was a 5 year old, like how Oscar explained the left over money to Michael in the office.)

- Second, people say to uninstall your drivers. Do I just use this by the Device Manager? And what do I need to consider before and after uninstalling my drivers?

- Third, I know Linus said to give not too-much, but a good amount of Thermal paste. Just- exactly, visually give me an idea of how much I really need?

- Fourth, What do i need to know if I ever encounter an error? Like a BSOD or a driver failure? What should I do to troubleshoot?

- Fifth, What do I need to know about Static Build-up, and Wattage? 

I am an absolute beginner, like, I have a hard time even understanding what PCI-E x 16 even means. I need help, and hopefully the forums can help me out on this. 

if linus sees this

please, bro

i need the superman of all pc's

thx 😄

-= Topic moved New Builds and Planning =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

8 minutes ago, HeyoDylo said:

- First, I watch some videos about replacing a motherboard, and people keep saying to Update the BIOS, or if you want to transfer data to your newly upgraded motherboard, i need to have a boot-drive. What does all of this even mean?! I have literally no idea how to update a BIOS or to even transfer data? Can someone fill me in entirely step by step on how to do this?! (AND DETAILED PLEASE! explain pc parts to me like if I was a 5 year old, like how Oscar explained the left over money to Michael in the office.)

A boot drive is something to boot off of because you cannot run without a cpu to update the bios

8 minutes ago, HeyoDylo said:

PIW (MOTHERBOARD) : Asus ROG STRIX B450-F

PIW (CPUS: here is some of the stuff i think that could be compatible, and im just seeing which one is the best of the pick) 

AMD Ryzen 3 3300x
AMD Ryzen 3 3100G
AMD Athlon 200GE
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
(or i can just keep my current processor.

PIW (GPU's: here is some of the stuff i think that could be compatible, and im just seeing which one is the best of the pick)
- RTX 3060 TI 
NI-MSRP
- AMD RX 580 NI-MSRP
- AMD RX 570 NI-MSRP

the motherboard is good choice but u might want to go cheaper and upgrade other things 
I would get a 3600 with the money you saved with the mobo

I would choose the 3060ti or 3060 NON TI for a cheaper option 

You also might want to consider upgrading your RAM later down the line so you utilize your processor to its full potential, I would recommend something  like this https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-28800-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07RM39V5F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ISBO8VVCXECL&dchild=1&keywords=corsair+lpx+16gb+3600mhz&qid=1611379315&s=electronics&sprefix=corsar+lpx+%2Celectronics%2C229&sr=1-1 

its a pretty high price right now but later I am sure it will drop in price

hope this helps! 

Just now, progamer21 said:

You also might want to consider upgrading your RAM later down the line so you utilize your processor to its full potential, I would recommend something  like this https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-PC4-28800-Desktop-Memory/dp/B07RM39V5F/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3ISBO8VVCXECL&dchild=1&keywords=corsair+lpx+16gb+3600mhz&qid=1611379315&s=electronics&sprefix=corsar+lpx+%2Celectronics%2C229&sr=1-1 

its a pretty high price right now but later I am sure it will drop in price

hope this helps! 

Yea, I don't mind spending 80 bucks on some RAM, I think it'll be good. Thanks!!!

Just now, HeyoDylo said:

Yea, I don't mind spending 80 bucks on some RAM, I think it'll be good. Thanks!!!

wait is that sarcastic

wait is that sarcastic

no not really, i dont mind buying 80 bucks of RAM, does RAM usually not cost that much??

Could you give me your exact budget so I could make a parts list for you?

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Just now, HeyoDylo said:

no not really, i dont mind buying 80 bucks of RAM, does RAM usually not cost that much??

i mean this is a type of ram where you get the BEST possible performance for the price, the reason I say you should look for price changes is because I bought it for my pc for 60$

made a pcpp for you you might want to consider a cheaper monitor bcz I couldn't find a good price

3 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Could you give me your exact budget so I could make a parts list for you?

I cannot give you an exact price. But can you just say whats on your mind so I can get an overall idea of what I'm spending? Like- visually speaking, Mid-Tier but Good preforming parts at around.. 100-200 bucks USD.

tysm ill take a look

2 minutes ago, progamer21 said:

Just now, HeyoDylo said:

yes im assuming you already have a case psu and ssd though

1 minute ago, progamer21 said:

yes im assuming you already have a case psu and ssd though

yes

1 minute ago, HeyoDylo said:

I cannot give you an exact price. But can you just say whats on your mind so I can get an overall idea of what I'm spending? Like- visually speaking, Mid-Tier but Good preforming parts at around.. 100-200 bucks USD.

A 100-200 USD for a full build is impossible. This is a good build you can get now.

If you want to save your current GPU and hope to get a better deal on a 3060 later:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.99 @ B&H
Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $67.98 @ Amazon
Memory OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $46.99 @ Adorama
Case Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.98 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $506.92
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $496.92
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-23 00:37 EST-0500  

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

Just now, Prodigy_Smit said:

A 100-200 USD for a full build is impossible. This is a good build you can get now.

If you want to save your current GPU and hope to get a better deal on a 3060 later:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.99 @ B&H
Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $67.98 @ Amazon
Memory OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $61.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $46.99 @ Adorama
Case Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $69.98 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $506.92
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $496.92
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-23 00:37 EST-0500  

I mean, referring to the parts for the price OF 200 bucks lol, ik a 200 build is impossible

Everyone, I already have 900 GB, so I really just need a good PSU, RAM, GPU, MOTHERBOARD, and CPU

no monitor or case, ill be fine on this

(well.. depending on the size)

3 minutes ago, HeyoDylo said:

I already have 900 GB,

Is this an SSD or a HDD?

Desktop :

Laptop :

1 minute ago, HeyoDylo said:

HDD

Oh my god. If you want your system to feel like twice as fast get an SSD now and save your money and get a better system later.

Desktop :

Laptop :

I mean he's got a pretty decent parts list, but if you have a bigger budget I would get a B550 board and a B tier PSU. Your also gonna want an SSD for your OS, its makes a big difference in the responsiveness of the computer. Personally I recommend turning to Ebay for a used GPUs. I manage to snag a 1070 2 years ago for $200 and you can still sometimes find them for close to that.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ B&H) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($61.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($46.99 @ Adorama) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $558.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-23 00:45 EST-0500

4 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Oh my god. If you want your system to feel like twice as fast get an SSD now and save your money and get a better system later.

-visible confusion- ok dont get mad at me, but why?

200.gif

Just now, HeyoDylo said:

-visible confusion- ok dont get mad at me, but why?

200.gif

Well upgrading from a HDD provides huge system responsiveness benefits due to the faster speeds and more importantly the latency improvements, almost feels like a new system.

Desktop :

Laptop :