Asus dual OC 3070 and high temps

maizenblue

I have an Asus Dual oc 3070. Playing battlefield 1 it gets up to 75c with stock settings and fans running at 75 to 80% but has occasionally gotten to 79. 

more concerning is that on two occasions it spiked up past 90c and i had to shut it down as it was like a slide show, with no explanation as to why.  I can still return it i think as its within 2 weeks and im wondering what could be the cause and if i should or could. 

i have a case with great airflow and my 1070ti wouldnt get past 65c at stock. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

I'd hate to see you do an unnecessary RMA, since getting a new one is next to impossible rn. Seeing 75C on stock settings isn't that concerning, I've seen many cards do that exact thing, the actual problem is that it is having to thermal throttle on those two occasions. You did see that the card was having both of the fans spin, correct? If they were both spinning, can you see if this is one of those cards that voids the warranty if you go to take off the cooler? It may be that you had gotten a bad thermal paste application from the factory, and repasting your card would fix that, or at least certainly won't hurt. If both of those aren't working, I would reach out to ASUS support and see if they have gotten any similar complaints for that card, and if they are able to do anything to help mend this issue

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I'd hate to see you do an unnecessary RMA, since getting a new one is next to impossible rn. Seeing 75C on stock settings isn't that concerning, I've seen many cards do that exact thing, the actual problem is that it is having to thermal throttle on those two occasions. You did see that the card was having both of the fans spin, correct? If they were both spinning, can you see if this is one of those cards that voids the warranty if you go to take off the cooler? It may be that you had gotten a bad thermal paste application from the factory, and repasting your card would fix that, or at least certainly won't hurt. If both of those aren't working, I would reach out to ASUS support and see if they have gotten any similar complaints for that card, and if they are able to do anything to help mend this issue

The 75c is only relevant in that all the reviews of this card have it running at 69c on the friggin toaster oven that is Furmark. This thing gets 75 to 79c with like 70% usage in bf1 in a case with fans blowing full speed. Other times it sits at 71c. 

i couldn't tell if fans were spinning when it throttled. Only that i checked after and they spun fine and turn freely when i spin them. Its the inconsistent behavior that has me worried. I wouldnt rma it. Id leave that to microcenter unless they wont accept the return. Im not sure what their policy is if a card is possibly defective. 

id rather be gpuless than wind up with a 650 dollar brick. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

2 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

The 75c is only relevant in that all the reviews of this card have it running at 69c on Furmark. This thing gets 75 to 79c with like 70% usage in bf1 in a case with fans blowing full speed. Other times it sits at 71c. 

i couldn't tell if fans were spinning when it throttled. Only that i checked after and they spun fine and turn freely when i spin them. Its the inconsistent behavior that has me worried. I woukdnt rma it. Id leave that to microcenter unless they wont accept the return. Im not sure what their policy is if a card is possibly defective. 

id rather be gpuless than wind up with a 650 dollar brick. 

Going through the RMA process might be a better option, though. Microcenter has a pretty robust return policy, and if you tell them that the card is defective, they will try to get you a new card. The problem is, that they might not be able to give you a new card, since they've been running on such short supply. If you try doing an RMA, some companies will actually disassemble the card and try to fix it, then send you back a working card. I would at least contact ASUS support to see if they will do anything like that for you. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Going through the RMA process might be a better option, though. Microcenter has a pretty robust return policy, and if you tell them that the card is defective, they will try to get you a new card. The problem is, that they might not be able to give you a new card, since they've been running on such short supply. If you try doing an RMA, some companies will actually disassemble the card and try to fix it, then send you back a working card. I would at least contact ASUS support to see if they will do anything like that for you. 

Have u ever dealt with Asus customer service? In looking at a month of turnover time at least, with a 50/50 chance it doesnt get fixed. I could probably get a card quicker just returning tbh. 

Just now, maizenblue said:

Have u ever dealt with Asus customer service? In looking at a month of turnover time at least, with a 50/50 chance it doesnt get fixed. I could probably get a card quicker just returning tbh. 

True, I've never had to deal with them before, I've mainly stuck with EVGA for their amazing customer support. I'd still try to reach out to them and see if they can offer another solution that I can't think of.