Asus GTX 1660S - Fan speed consistency all over the place below 30%

iamneomax

Hey guys!

So i've got an GTX 1660 Super from Asus, DUAL model (this one) and i noticed some time ago that one or more fans in my system were behaving weirdly. You could hear an intermittent hum noise, but was not sure why and where. I just kept playing and it went away. However, now that i've been using the Desktop for other tasks that do not require high graphics power i noticed where the noise comes from. It comes from the fans of the graphics card!

I started with the updating the drivers (they have been updated more than once since i noticed this) but the issue persists. Then i tried to analyze the at which situations and why this happened. So my conclusions were:

If fan speed is below 30%, the graphic looks like this:

Capture.thumb.PNG.ca46f4cad85958f78cbd43e0121d33fc.PNG

It is constantly spinning up and down, like if you would turn on and off the power at every second. But, as soon as i set the fan speed to something like 30% or above, they start to spin uninterruptedly. Here is the graph:

Capture2.PNG.a4b644ae68170983537bac7f0ec61800.PNG

So the only workaround i have is to set the fan speed at a minimum of 30%, but that is not very ideal. 

I bought the card from Amazon and they offer a full refund, i just didn't because i can't find any replacemente as graphics card stocks are "dead", and wanted to also understand if there is nothing that could be done. 

Do you guys have any suggestion?

Here is the graphics cards info

Capture3.PNG.8e19d077f2f2bd3bd46de991007ed195.PNG

Your GPU when just doing things in the desktop is probably running so cool that the fans will turn off, it will heat up just enough and cause them to turn back on. Setting them to 30% like you did or adjusting the fan curve so it has to heat up more before turning fans on are probably your only options.

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Your GPU when just doing things in the desktop is probably running so cool that the fans will turn off, it will heat up just enough and cause them to turn back on. Setting them to 30% like you did or adjusting the fan curve so it has to heat up more before turning fans on are probably your only options.

I watched the temperatures and they are stable during that up and down, and the interval between the turning on and off is like 1 second only that's why I suspected something wrong. 

I will try to run the fan curve like that some days to see how it goes