My ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero Motherboard will not power on no matter what I have tried.

Okay, I recently purchased the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero from newegg. I got it installed (it was my first time) and everything seemed to go fine, except the PC wouldn't even power on. No fans, nothing. The only thing that lit up was the insignias on the motherboard itself and its "Start" button. Everything else was dead. I called ASUS customer support and they walked me through the troubleshoot, and they said that it was a defective motherboard. Fast forward 3 weeks, and my replacement motherboard arrived (yesterday). I installed it this morning, I downloaded the recommended BIOS onto the root directory of my flash drive (from ASUS CPU support list, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x), performed the BIOS Flashback, and the thing won't turn on. I called customer support again, and they ran me through the same trouble shooting and low and behold, they said it was defective again and to process another return. Here's the thing, I highly doubt that it is possible to receive 2 defective motherboards, and that is just their "we don't know what's wrong" answer. Can anyone help? This is my first time building a computer, so everything I know is what I have learned online.

Here's what I ran through so far for trouble shooting:
- populate one slot with compatible ram in the recommended slot for a single ram stick (A2).
- try the same thing with a different ram stick, I don't know maybe the Vengeance Pro isn't compatible and the regular Vengeance is (they both are according to pcpartpicker)
- tried clearing the CMOS
- tried a fresh install of the recommended BIOS
- try to ruin safe mode / reset button/ start button / every button on the darn thing that the manual said would possibly help
- checked my CPU for bent pins (they're not bent, the CPU is now back in my older motherboard on the PC I am using to type this)
- checked to make sure everything is seated properly, I even unplugged and re-lugged to make sure.
- disconnected all of my HDD and SSD's, this shouldn't have been a problem but why not try it at this point, right?
- try powering on with my gtx 1060 removed (the first tech said to try this, the second tech said my mobo needed an external gpu to boot, but I figured why not)
- disconnect case fans, obviously left the CPU fan
- switched the plastic sheath from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 on the LN2 port

After all of this, on two different motherboards mind you, the thing is still dead. The only lights that are working are the RGB insignias on the motherboard itself, and its 'start' button. This tells me that my mobo has power, so I just don't understand what is going on here. The only thing I did that I felt was out of the ordinary was connecting a 3 pin case fan to the 4 pin W_PUMP wince it still has the same PWM signal, I figured this didn't matter.

Somebody please help me lol

We don't know how they tested the board. They could have used an Athlon 200ge for all we know, which is the Cpu they ship for bios flashing to support newer processors.

Also, take a picture of the serial number on the board to be sure the same one isn't getting returned to you. (Most likely explanation here)

Without a Gpu, the board will stop during the boot process and the VGA diag light will illuminate. 

You can always try plugging in the little diagnostics speaker. If you don't have one, they are on ebay for like 3 dollars.

What bios did you try to install? Some newer BIOS' might drop support for older processors to make room for the newer ones. And your 2700X is two generations old. I'm not sure if thats what the problem is but its a possibility.

edit: also did you follow this step "rename the BIOS file (C8H.CAP) using BIOSRenamer"

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

We don't know how they tested the board. They could have used an Athlon 200ge for all we know, which is the Cpu they ship for bios flashing to support newer processors.

Also, take a picture of the serial number on the board to be sure the same one isn't getting returned to you. (Most likely explanation here)

Without a Gpu, the board will stop during the boot process and the VGA diag light will illuminate. 

You can always try plugging in the little diagnostics speaker. If you don't have one, they are on ebay for like 3 dollars.

I actually took a picture of the serial number before I sent it back and compared it to the one they sent back and they were different, but that was my immediate suspicion as well.
I don't have one of those, but I may have to purchase one. Is this different than the onboard 'Q-Code' LED that is on my motherboard?

1 hour ago, cm992 said:

What bios did you try to install? Some newer BIOS' might drop support for older processors to make room for the newer ones. And your 2700X is two generations old. I'm not sure if thats what the problem is but its a possibility.

edit: also did you follow this step "rename the BIOS file (C8H.CAP) using BIOSRenamer"

I looked on the ASUS website and it turned out to be the latest beta BIOS which was released 1/14/2021, so it is fairly new, but when I spoke to customer support they had said that the first BIOS update to support my CPU was released back in 2018, so I suspect it came with a compatible BIOS already since it would require a 3 year old BIOS to not be compatible. Also, yes, I used the renamer executable file provided in the BIOS download and it renamed the file and then I copied that to the root directory on my flash drive.

If they send me another one and it still does not work, I think you are right about it possibly being the CPU. Though, I'm not sure why it works on the computer I'm using right now and not in the new motherboard, but I don't know enough to speculate, so this is a good possibility.

39 minutes ago, iNebula said:

I looked on the ASUS website and it turned out to be the latest beta BIOS which was released 1/14/2021, so it is fairly new, but when I spoke to customer support they had said that the first BIOS update to support my CPU was released back in 2018, so I suspect it came with a compatible BIOS already since it would require a 3 year old BIOS to not be compatible. Also, yes, I used the renamer executable file provided in the BIOS download and it renamed the file and then I copied that to the root directory on my flash drive.

If they send me another one and it still does not work, I think you are right about it possibly being the CPU. Though, I'm not sure why it works on the computer I'm using right now and not in the new motherboard, but I don't know enough to speculate, so this is a good possibility.

I explained why. Some newer BIOS' might drop support for older processors to make room for the newer ones. So try the earliest BIOS that lists compatibility with your 2700X and that is version 0702.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

On 1/22/2021 at 5:58 PM, cm992 said:

I explained why. Some newer BIOS' might drop support for older processors to make room for the newer ones. So try the earliest BIOS that lists compatibility with your 2700X and that is version 0702.

Aha, I see what you mean. That is a good idea, thank you!

On 1/22/2021 at 4:25 PM, iNebula said:

Okay, I recently purchased the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero from newegg. I got it installed (it was my first time) and everything seemed to go fine, except the PC wouldn't even power on. No fans, nothing. The only thing that lit up was the insignias on the motherboard itself and its "Start" button. Everything else was dead. I called ASUS customer support and they walked me through the troubleshoot, and they said that it was a defective motherboard. Fast forward 3 weeks, and my replacement motherboard arrived (yesterday). I installed it this morning, I downloaded the recommended BIOS onto the root directory of my flash drive (from ASUS CPU support list, I have a Ryzen 7 2700x), performed the BIOS Flashback, and the thing won't turn on. I called customer support again, and they ran me through the same trouble shooting and low and behold, they said it was defective again and to process another return. Here's the thing, I highly doubt that it is possible to receive 2 defective motherboards, and that is just their "we don't know what's wrong" answer. Can anyone help? This is my first time building a computer, so everything I know is what I have learned online.

Here's what I ran through so far for trouble shooting:
- populate one slot with compatible ram in the recommended slot for a single ram stick (A2).
- try the same thing with a different ram stick, I don't know maybe the Vengeance Pro isn't compatible and the regular Vengeance is (they both are according to pcpartpicker)
- tried clearing the CMOS
- tried a fresh install of the recommended BIOS
- try to ruin safe mode / reset button/ start button / every button on the darn thing that the manual said would possibly help
- checked my CPU for bent pins (they're not bent, the CPU is now back in my older motherboard on the PC I am using to type this)
- checked to make sure everything is seated properly, I even unplugged and re-lugged to make sure.
- disconnected all of my HDD and SSD's, this shouldn't have been a problem but why not try it at this point, right?
- try powering on with my gtx 1060 removed (the first tech said to try this, the second tech said my mobo needed an external gpu to boot, but I figured why not)
- disconnect case fans, obviously left the CPU fan
- switched the plastic sheath from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 on the LN2 port

After all of this, on two different motherboards mind you, the thing is still dead. The only lights that are working are the RGB insignias on the motherboard itself, and its 'start' button. This tells me that my mobo has power, so I just don't understand what is going on here. The only thing I did that I felt was out of the ordinary was connecting a 3 pin case fan to the 4 pin W_PUMP wince it still has the same PWM signal, I figured this didn't matter.

Somebody please help me lol

I had this exact problem and I had to get a replacement. Now it works fine and just feels more stable.

My replacement also shipped with a 5000 series compatible BIOS