Should I wait for a 3300X or pull the Trigger on it just slightly marked up

I found a "deal" on a 3300x for $160 (MSRP around $130 I think). I'm building a secondary computer to keep at my grandpa's place and can afford to wait a few weeks if supply issues are potentially going to be resolved. Should I wait or just take what I can get?

For $40 more, you can get a 3600 and call it a day. Going from 4C/8T to 6C/12T will be a lot better, and also, the 3600 is a great CPU you can buy right now (that's available).

Supply issues may last into 2H of 2021 at the rate we are going.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

For $40 more, you can get a 3600 and call it a day. Going from 4C/8T to 6C/12T will be a lot better, and also, the 3600 is a great CPU you can buy right now (that's available).

Supply issues may last into 2H of 2021 at the rate we are going.

I actually have a 3600 in my main and love it. I was thinking of doing this but it seems like it may be overkill for what I need (the graphics card in this system is an old rx 560 I found on ebay for nothing).

It appears old processors like the R5 1600 are selling for way more than they should right now so maybe you're right and the proper move is to just grab a 3600 and get my money's worth

4 minutes ago, endyc said:

I actually have a 3600 in my main and love it. I was thinking of doing this but it seems like it may be overkill for what I need (the graphics card in this system is an old rx 560 I found on ebay for nothing).

It appears old processors like the R5 1600 are selling for way more than they should right now so maybe you're right and the proper move is to just grab a 3600 and get my money's worth

indeed the budget end of cpus has taken a big hit, particularly for ryzen. maybe get a 10100f or similar?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Just now, VeganJoy said:

indeed the budget end of cpus has taken a big hit, particularly for ryzen. maybe get a 10100f or similar?

Thats a good idea but I wanna take the b450 board out of my current rig for this new computer and replace it with a budget b550 for PCIE 4.0 in my main (since I'm buying new stuff anyway and b550 boards don't seem any more expensive than b450s).

As such I'm looking for something I can plop in a b450 Tomahawk Max.

1 hour ago, endyc said:

It can be but if you rarely are going to use this rig and just need something to get you by for now, then the 3300X may suite you. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"