YOUR STRIX 3090 WILL FAIL RMA IT NOW (Missing thermal pads,Fan noise,Coil whine)

Zilla

Made this video because i am so angry. So this is the norm now??? why are so many people reporting this, has it happened to your 3090? please tell me because i am lost........... ohhhh great linus please help me 

My rig 

5960x nhd-15 4.4ghz but happens at 3ghz also

32gb ram 2400 oc'ed to 3000hz (changed and nothing)

1tb nvme

5 140mm fans 

hx1200i psu just brought new (used a 1000w none rated 2000w gold)

asus x99-s mobo (old but well looked after and i even clean the vrm now and then)

❤️ you guys and any help we be rewarded with a shiney 3050ti......... picture (my inner scalper)

s-l400.jpg

FYI

1.Capped my fps to 60 in the game menu and 120fps in game

2. turned off speed step and c-states

3. wont coil whine when rendering 8k images but will in games mainly warzone

4. put my cpu to stock and undervolted the 3090

Still there loud af

Coil whine isn't really an issue with .... well anything. It's highly subjective.

Coil whine noise , much like road noise with offroad tires , is pretty normal. I actually had to really turn up my audio and to be honest I can barely hear it in your video.

Coil whine could be perceived as loud by someone who only ever hears silence in their home. While it can be almost non existent to someone who's home has a loud furnace. The card isn't really made to be a card that you use in a library computer. It's made to move a ton of data. If the noise bothers you I'd highly recommend headphones as coil whine itself , can be caused by dozens of different things , none of which are an actual problem.

16 minutes ago, Zilla said:

FYI

1.Capped my fps to 60 in the game menu and 120fps in game

2. turned off speed step and c-states

3. wont coil whine when rendering 8k images but will in games mainly warzone

4. put my cpu to stock and undervolted the 3090

Still there loud af

Possible solutions:

1. I hate to be that guy, but try running DDU and see if it fixes the problem.

2. underCLOCK the 3090 using MSI Afterburner

FYI

coil whine is not a big deal. Its perfectly normal in MANY GPU's, and can barely be heard while playing games. 

20 minutes ago, Zilla said:

So this is the norm now??? why are so many people reporting this

I think people are also generally becoming more sensitive to it, not that it's necessarily becoming a bigger problem. People probably used to dismiss it a lot more as just "computer noise"

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Zilla said:

Made this video because i am so angry. So this is the norm now??? why are so many people reporting this, has it happened to your 3090? please tell me because i am lost........... ohhhh great linus please help me 

My rig 

5960x nhd-15 4.4ghz but happens at 3ghz also

32gb ram 2400 oc'ed to 3000hz (changed and nothing)

1tb nvme

5 140mm fans 

hx1200i psu just brought new (used a 1000w none rated 2000w gold)

asus x99-s mobo (old but well looked after and i even clean the vrm now and then)

❤️ you guys and any help we be rewarded with a shiney 3050ti......... picture (my inner scalper)

s-l400.jpg

impressive rig btw

I have more cards than most and i have had cards that do coil whine when hit with high fps, i do understand how and why it happens but at 60fps in a lobby? so i have to cap my gpu to 60fps with 2 165hz screens?

I would like to remove things so we can find the source, please tell me to do stuff so i can fix this 🙂

@Asez23 i have underclocked the card using gpu tweak, msi afterburner and nothing, maybe 2% 

@ anyone who says "sensitive" let me upload a video when its at 120 fps lol brb

You cannot really do anything about it. Every single GPU whines, to varying degree depending on the GPU model, type of load and so on, and people's sensitivity to such sounds is extremely variable as well. For example I am extremely sensitive to such sounds, and I've seen cards whining so much that I could hear that even through the wall, but I've also shown those same cards to few other people and there were some that couldn't hear a thing even with their ear against the GPU, literally like 20 cm away. And if you look at various build pictures that people post and see how most of them have things set up in a way that the GPU whines strait into their ear, coil whine is probably not a problem for vast majority of users, that's why manufacturers never did anything to address it. 

This was a major problem for me especially since I cannot use headphones. It is not just coil whine, HDDs and pumps for example are not acceptable either. There are basically two ways to get around it:

First and most effective solution to that was to simply keep my PC in a different room. This solves all acoustic issues permanently, and also allows you to max out your cooling. Downside is obviously that you do not have your PC next to you, so you sacrifice the visual aspect of it. 

Second and less effective one is to use very enclosed case and external watercooling, and obviously not to keep your PC next to your ear. This is what I am using now, PC over 2 meters away in very enclosed case that still let's you the components (In Win 805 in my case), and entire cooling is in a different room. The direction in which the cards are facing is very important too, ideally you want the side and the back of the case to face away from you, because this is where the most sound comes out of. With this method you can have silence, cooling and visuals in one. I have two 2080 Tis and my power draw under full load is close to 1000W, so coil whine is definitely a thing, but with all the precautions and surround speakers it gets lost in the background and doesn't bother me. Having a system under load without speakers running quite loudly is still not possible though, that's why this is not a definite solution.

So if you don't care much about the visual aspect of having your PC in your room/on your desk then just keep it outside and have this problem solved permanently and without any real cost, just few cables. And if you want it inside, keep if few meters away, use very enclosed case and use external watercooling. There is no solution to coil whine itself that you could use. It does vary a lot from GPU to GPU because different models use different components and are set up differently, so replacing the card with something else may still help even if it won't solve the issue entirely. 

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

23 minutes ago, Zilla said:

I would like to remove things so we can find the source, please tell me to do stuff so i can fix this

replace every single component in the machine with a different make and model , do not replace it with the same part. then plug the machine into a different transformer (into a different building)

After you have built a new machine and used a different transformer to provide power the likely hood that there will be coil whine is still high. Those are the diagnostic steps for coil whine. Without hiring an electrical engineer the issue isn't solvable as far as stopping the current hardware from doing it. Though the engineer would say it's normal and to ignore it.

23 minutes ago, Krzych said:

First and most effective solution to that was to simply keep my PC in a different room. This solves all acoustic issues permanently

That's actually what I do as well. Instantly make any computer more quiet then the most expensive "silent" pc's that exist. lol

You can always increase the case fans to make it louder than the coil whine. As others have mentioned, you can't really do much for coil whine as its a natural phenomenon. 

43 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I think people are also generally becoming more sensitive to it, not that it's necessarily becoming a bigger problem. People probably used to dismiss it a lot more as just "computer noise"

I'd personally would rather hear HDDs ticking away when reading/writing than coil whine. 🙃

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Thank you guys, will do all you said. Means a lot your helping ❤️

Yes i think i bloody found it guys 🙂 F you asus and your crappy thermal pads making me think i am crazy (all cards have small coil whine but this is a special kind of coil whine that's hard to get across until it happens to you)

The smoking gun is this picture and the sound is coming right from it, i think its a gddr6 chip that is vibrating. Wont be the cause of natural coil whine but might be causing it too be louder than normal) what do you think?

So RMA time then GG, 1 pissed off customer, 1 card almost working and a butt ton of time wasted because you cant cut pads right???

Asus smoking gun.jpg

I should check for more pads.

5 hours ago, Zilla said:

The smoking gun is this picture and the sound is coming right from it, i think its a gddr6 chip that is vibrating. Wont be the cause of natural coil whine but might be causing it too be louder than normal) what do you think?

Coil whine happens more on an inductor/transformer, not a solid state chip like a GDDR6 memory chip. Although, that looks like a crappy job and QC was missed with cutting/applying the correct size thermal pad on a +$1900 graphics card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

Coil whine happens more on an inductor/transformer, not a solid state chip like a GDDR6 memory chip. Although, that looks like a crappy job and QC was missed with cutting/applying the correct size thermal pad on a +$1900 graphics card. 

Took the words out of my mouth. On the subject of the ram chip,  i have seen chips that vibrate like this and even owned a 2080 that died from the same issue. They use crappy solder and now poor thermal pads, the BGA will fail at some point and the more we tell people about this the better and just say "ohhh deal with the coil whine" its just not right for nobody to be picking this story up and screaming at asus and other brands to fix these very real issues

Thank you for your time spider ❤️ 

2 minutes ago, Zilla said:

Took the words out of my mouth. On the subject of the ram chip,  i have seen chips that vibrate like this and even owned a 2080 that died from the same issue. They use crappy solder and now poor thermal pads, the BGA will fail at some point and the more we tell people about this the better and just say "ohhh deal with the coil whine" its just not right for nobody to be picking this story up and screaming at asus and other brands to fix these very real issues

Thank you for your time spider ❤️ 

Wow, never even heard that one before with crappy solder being at fault for coil whine. Learn something new every day. 😉

Its not coil whine, its the ram chip vibrating making the coil whine seem worse than it is. when it gets hot the BGA will oscillate until it falls off or loses contact with the pcb, if you look at the picture you can see one side is lower than the other.

23 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

What gets me is people saying "nothing you can do about it..."

When I had this all I did was changing out my pcie cables and it went away as it came... 

And also... you can just exchange the gpu (or psu) and you at least have a chance... Basically lottery, and of course manufacturers would say this isn't a "defect" like they do with a dead pixel or something - which very much is a defect and certainly not as advertised. 

7 hours ago, Zilla said:

Its not coil whine, its the ram chip vibrating making the coil whine seem worse than it is. when it gets hot the BGA will oscillate until it falls off or loses contact with the pcb, if you look at the picture you can see one side is lower than the other.

So you're going to RMA?  It's possible they don't have cards... (and are unable or unwilling to fix yours) you know...?  (for real btw) 

Wouldn't it be better to just replace the pad(s) *if* this doesn't void the warranty of course. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

38 minutes ago, emosun said:

i just zip tied my pcb to my heatsink when i noticed it had flex in it , it's not like the next one they send me wouldnt have flex lol

That's why i just brought a RADEON RX 6800 PULSE for £700 and i know sapphire know how to use stickers lol. Easy rma for the 3090 with half pads, i wanted to open it up but it can cause so many issues with returns that this is my choice. 

If this guy whistles in the wind then i dont know what i will do but opening a £700 card ain't the same as a £1850 card.

Will report back when its all done and thank you guys for any feedback, i spent a ton of time going over your replies ❤️ @Mark Kaine rly hit home what you said

GX39DSP_269219_750x750.jpg

GX39DSP_269222_750x750.jpg

GX39DSP_269224_750x750.jpg

On 1/22/2021 at 11:10 PM, emosun said:

replace every single component in the machine with a different make and model , do not replace it with the same part. then plug the machine into a different transformer (into a different building)

After you have built a new machine and used a different transformer to provide power the likely hood that there will be coil whine is still high. Those are the diagnostic steps for coil whine. Without hiring an electrical engineer the issue isn't solvable as far as stopping the current hardware from doing it. Though the engineer would say it's normal and to ignore it.

It's funny, even though everyone says that coil whine is normal, I've never had it in all my gaming computers. I don't think atleast that level the OP has is acceptable, and he should just suck it up, because it's "normal". Glad the OP found the cause for it, though. But yeah, I think it's bad advice to tell the guy to just "suck it up" when the noise it makes is that loud. And that's not even normal coil whine, but a defective thermal pad! That's not acceptable, even less when the GPU costs almost 2k. Why even tell him that there's nothing he can do and just accept it? Just my 2 cents.

I don't think its an attack on you @emosun, i think if you had mild coil whine then i would agree with what you said. Its just hard to get across the pitch of the sound in the video, it rly is invasive. I should post a video at 165hz so you guys can judge for yourself.

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

If you have a problem then contact a moderator

I just think you gave bad advice. That's all.

This guys 3rd card

This guys ASUS 3090 sounds like a wood chipper and i think its his second

The coil whine is louder than the game

So a water block does not help?

Normal coil whine?

Just seems to be normal for Asus cards i guess

The cover could also cause coil whine like noise

Loudest yet i think

Would you keep this card with this noise? 

Asus needs to do better than this 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faulty-RTX-3090-ASUS-ROG-STRIX-OC-24GB-RTX-3090-Faulty/254838843149?hash=item3b5594270d:g:KRoAAOSw1ARgBujM

Only after you see it laid out like this can you see how big the issue with the cards is, its SUPER OC ULTRA TI KINGPIN EDITION coil whine and if i knew before purchase i would not have brought one with this level of noise. Thermal pads need to die and someone needs to come up with a better idea for direct cooling them, locking them in place might really help those coils to stop echoing. 

Cant wait to report back about the RMA process and the new RX 6000 

❤️ nerds lol if you play all the videos at once it sounds like a jet taking off...... maybe the lights on the side could be used as a audio waveform to show how crappy your card is?