AMD G-series for High-res 4k?

Hey peps, gulping for some knowledge about this.

So i still have my old computer that is i think 10 years old now and still going strong funny enough, just true love for it.

I am planning to get a new setup but i rather wanna wait a while longer because i dont really have the need to use a PC, but i still keep going back to .. maybe i should at least get myself started for the main purpose to watch High res 4k content on my CX Oled and then just having a PC at home and not be bothering to bring home to Work-laptop when i want it or going to work from home.

First time i watched from the PC since i got the CX and watching a 50GB Hi-res 4K content it was stuttering from time to time, small frames so it was still watchable but its still there and its probably fine just sending it to and external HDD and input it directly to the CX.

What im thinkin of and would like to know if there are any drawbacks getting an AMD G-series instead of a proper GPU as well as if there are any significance benefits.

Cuz if i go that route i could either get the Ryzen 3 3200G or Ryzen 5 3400G, maybe a cheap 450 board on a small formfactor case and then upgrading these parts later on the line.

Well the APUs are pretty old at this point, with the last being Zen+ architecture. We're presently already 2 generations ahead of that without any APUs in sight.

That said, if it's just for watching videos, the integrated Vega graphics should handle that stuff fine.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Well the APUs are pretty old at this point,

Im using a GTX 670 i think, might be a 680 but cant remember and cant be bothered to check since im currently on the laptop.

So even if the APU is pretty old, it should still kickass compared to the 670 😛

1 minute ago, Drayne said:

Im using a GTX 670 i think, might be a 680 but cant remember and cant be bothered to check since im currently on the laptop.

Will definitely support more modern APIs and handle new stuff better.

Intel chips are a bit cheaper right now, and IIRC (might be mistaken) the Intel HD 630 can handle 4k playback fine. Although I can't speak from personal experience. Might want to look into that.

Vega graphics on the Ryzen APUs are definitely better.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

My laptop has a Ryzen 5 2500U and I've never gave 2160p60 VP9 content a second thought on it... well, at least if YouTube doesn't act temperamental with it. Which is, to say, it played just fine.

Although, if you're going to be streaming from something like Netflix, it might be better to go down the Intel route just because it's less of a pain in the ass to actually watch 4K content on a newer Intel chip.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Drayne said:

No a GTX 670 is much stronger than the Vega 11 graphics found on the Ryzen 3400G. However, I use a 3400G in a tiny home theatre PC and it plays 4K mp4 files without buffering on my 4K TV, same for 4K youtube videos.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Get a 4350G (4 cores) or 4650G (6 cores) on aliexpress.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Although, if you're going to be streaming from something like Netflix, 

That's the thing, the streaming service is compressing the heck out of 4K contents.

I personally haven't had the opportunity to experience it myself but understanding that its a giant difference in quality from streaming compared to a full size 4K content that's well above 40GB in size.

19 minutes ago, cm992 said:

No a GTX 670 is much stronger than the Vega 11 graphics found on the Ryzen 3400G. However, I use a 3400G in a tiny home theatre PC and it plays 4K mp4 files without buffering on my 4K TV, same for 4K youtube videos.

its incredible how efficient video streaming today is

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Arent those laptop-chips?

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

nononononononnoononononononononononono

21 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Might the CPU be the problem?

Just now, Drayne said:

Might the CPU be the problem?

the 670 is a deticated gpu, a apu cant ONLY foucs on 4k, plus once you turn off the pc the cpu would  be on fire

26 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

plus once you turn off the pc the cpu would  be on fire

What do u mean by that?

1 minute ago, Drayne said:

What do u mean by that?

if your watching 3 movies, the apu is on for extensive use, it goes on fire

4 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

its a firgure of speech

Was gonna say, I wasn't aware the FX-9590 had integrated graphics

29 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

if your watching 3 movies, the apu is on for extensive use, it goes on fire

WHAAAAT. so watching content several hours straight will strain the APU a ton (Screaming face)....

3 minutes ago, Drayne said:

WHAAAAT. so watching content several hours straight will strain the APU a ton (Screaming face)....

it willl sure heat up unless watercooled. its still not invinceble, 

1 minute ago, ComputerBuilder said:

it willl sure heat up unless watercooled. its still not invinceble, 

Was thinking that the stock cooler would be fine.

The other option/s i was thinking of was going for a GTX 1050 or 1650, and with that either a B550 or B450 that wont need an upgrade. The price would go up at least another 300 bucks and i dont think i feel it makes sense. What ive can do with the parts that ive replaced is to build media-device for the TV.

Its just so sad that the 3080 cost pretty much the same as the rest of the build combined and its not that i can't get the system now..i just rather wanna wait until the end of the year or 2022.

I sincerely doubt video playback for hours is any more demanding on the APU than playing actual games, which people tend to do for hours on end.

I would not be concerned about heat. This thing is going to be working as intended with the supplied cooler.

2 hours ago, Drayne said:

That's the thing, the streaming service is compressing the heck out of 4K contents.

I personally haven't had the opportunity to experience it myself but understanding that its a giant difference in quality from streaming compared to a full size 4K content that's well above 40GB in size.

Understandable, although I figured I'd mention it even and especially if playing UHD Blu-rays was a goal, too. 

1 hour ago, Drayne said:

Was thinking that the stock cooler would be fine.

The other option/s i was thinking of was going for a GTX 1050 or 1650, and with that either a B550 or B450 that wont need an upgrade. The price would go up at least another 300 bucks and i dont think i feel it makes sense. What ive can do with the parts that ive replaced is to build media-device for the TV.

Its just so sad that the 3080 cost pretty much the same as the rest of the build combined and its not that i can't get the system now..i just rather wanna wait until the end of the year or 2022.

For the love of god, PLEASE do not listen to that dude. Your APU will be just fine on its stock cooler. Even the big daddy OEM 4750G would be just fine on any rational cooler that can cool any old Ryzen 7.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 hours ago, Drayne said:

Arent those laptop-chips?

No, those are desktop chips only sold for OEM / Prebuild.

With some chinese magic, they are available for you to purchase.

Takes a while to ship but it is worth it, especially the 6 cores, you can find the 8 core version too (4750g), but too much for the budget.

Basically the same core as 3rd gen ryzen (not 2nd gen like 3400g) but with vega graphics.

9 hours ago, ComputerBuilder said:

the 670 is a deticated gpu, a apu cant ONLY foucs on 4k, plus once you turn off the pc the cpu would  be on fire

This guy probably never had an APU before.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

19 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Understandable, although I figured I'd mention it even and especially if playing UHD Blu-rays was a goal, too. 

For the love of god, PLEASE do not listen to that dude. Your APU will be just fine on its stock cooler. Even the big daddy OEM 4750G would be just fine on any rational cooler that can cool any old Ryzen 7.

my expiriences, i tried running a game with only intergrated graphics with a noctua, it hit 100 degress C easy, then i turned it off bc i didnt wan tto blow up my pc