Windows move to one screen after sleep or bootup/monitor completely disconnects

IsmetGS

So i just got a Gigabyte M27Q monitor as my main display accompanied by a acer monitor as a 2nd display. Now usually i have all my hardware monitoring stuff/discord etc on my second display while playing games on my main display, but now after changing to the m27q every time my pc goes to sleep or I boot up my pc all the windows that are on my 2nd display move to my main display, this never happened before, i also notice the windows disconnect sound playing when the monitor turns off, so windows thinks the monitor is being completely disconnected.

I have already DDU'd my drivers and reinstalled yet im still having this issue 馃槙

any help would be appreciated

Congratulations, you've encountered an annoying Windows design behaviour. I've run across variations of these over the years, starting with Win10. Basically there's different levels of "disconnect" a monitor might have in power save modes. If it thinks there is no monitor there, Windows will rearrange聽your windows to whatever is still connected.

The only workaround I ever found for this was to manually edit the registry, as Windows keeps a list of virtual resolutions for displays when inactive. Setting this to a bigger value might overcome it, but I don't have a good description of how to do this.

Connecting the displays using a different method might change things but this is guesswork.

Main system:聽i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU聽24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p聽G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, porina said:

Congratulations, you've encountered an annoying Windows design behaviour. I've run across variations of these over the years, starting with Win10. Basically there's different levels of "disconnect" a monitor might have in power save modes. If it thinks there is no monitor there, Windows will rearrange聽your windows to whatever is still connected.

The only workaround I ever found for this was to manually edit the registry, as Windows keeps a list of virtual resolutions for displays when inactive. Setting this to a bigger value might overcome it, but I don't have a good description of how to do this.

Connecting the displays using a different method might change things but this is guesswork.

This is probably one of the most stupid things I've ever come across, i've seen the registry solution, although i didnt quiet understand it