How to remap [`] key with [ʻ] sign?

Blurrybob
Go to solution Solved by DJ46,
2 hours ago, Blurrybob said:

And how to do that? Do I install a software or make registry changes? 

It's been a while since I've last made a script using it but I downloaded it and made the one you wanted just to make sure I can tell you how.

First, you want to download AutoHotkey from the official website and install it. To make it easier, just select the express installation and when it is done, click on "Exit".

Then you want to right-click on your Desktop, go to "New" and select "AutoHotkey Script" from the menu that pops up.

It will create a new file - give it whatever name you want, but that will become the name of your little program, so make sure you can easily tell what it is (for example ReverseApostrophe or 02BB_typer or whatever you can think of). Press Enter to set the file name.

Right-click on that same file and choose "Edit Script". It will open in a text editor (most likely Notepad).

It will already contain a few lines which you can leave alone. The change you want to achieve only requires 2 short lines:

Spoiler

`::ʻ  ; type the ʻ symbol when the ` key is pressed
return

The first line tells it that you want it to type the ʻ symbol whenever you press the ` key. The part after ; is a comment and it is good practice to use them.

I am honestly not sure whether the return line is necessary, but it works with it and I don't feel like testing it without it, it seems to be a part of every AutoHotkey function.

The whole script on my machine looks like this:

Spoiler

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

`::ʻ  ; type the ʻ symbol when the ` key is pressed
return

Save the changes as you normally would in Notepad (or the editor you prefer) and close the file.

You can now double-click on the file and you can notice an AutoHotkey icon appear in the system tray on the right of the Task panel. You can right-click this icon and click on "Exit" to stop the script, otherwise it will keep running in the background. The resource usage is basically non-existent - I've been running a similar tiny script on my machine for years (to launch a specific utility with just one key) without noticing any slowdown whatsoever.

The script will now work on any machine that has AutoHotkey installed on it. Feel free to play with AutoHotkey and create some more helpful little scripts (or expand the one you already have with more features).

If you want to run it on other machines or uninstall AutoHotkey, you will first want to right-click on the file again and choose "Compile Script".

This option will create a .exe file that runs the same script, just without needing AutoHotkey to be installed at all. After this step, you can uninstall AutoHotkey.

You can also copy this .exe into the Startup folder on your machine and never have to worry about launching it again. This is what I chose to do with the script I made for myself. I've tranferred it several times when I've moved onto a different computer and I don't even remember what I wrote into it, just that it works like I want it to (just checked, the file creation date is literally the 17th of September 2017, no wonder I can't remember exactly what it contains ha).

Just don't forget that you use it before you start to wonder why you can't type the ` symbol.

Hi everyone. Due to my language's requirement I always have to use this sign [ʻ] (like reverse apostrophe, character code in Microsoft word: 02BB. So can I make so that whenever I press [`] button (just under Esc button on QWERTY keyboards), the [ʻ] sign shows up?

1 minute ago, Blurrybob said:

Hi everyone. Due to my language's requirement I always have to use this sign [ʻ] (like reverse apostrophe, character code in Microsoft word: 02BB. So can I make so that whenever I press [`] button (just under Esc button on QWERTY keyboards), the [ʻ] sign shows up?

Yes, if you have a midrange - high end keyboard then it will come with a software that can help you do that.

And if you don't, you can make a super simple AutoHotkey script and run it whenever you need that character / set it to start on boot.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

22 minutes ago, Blurrybob said:

I always have to use this sign [ʻ]

Word usually converts single-quotes ['] to matching directional quotes automatically, does it not?

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, DJ46 said:

And if you don't, you can make a super simple AutoHotkey script and run it whenever you need that character / set it to start on boot.

2 hours ago, Blurrybob said:

It's been a while since I've last made a script using it but I downloaded it and made the one you wanted just to make sure I can tell you how.

First, you want to download AutoHotkey from the official website and install it. To make it easier, just select the express installation and when it is done, click on "Exit".

Then you want to right-click on your Desktop, go to "New" and select "AutoHotkey Script" from the menu that pops up.

It will create a new file - give it whatever name you want, but that will become the name of your little program, so make sure you can easily tell what it is (for example ReverseApostrophe or 02BB_typer or whatever you can think of). Press Enter to set the file name.

Right-click on that same file and choose "Edit Script". It will open in a text editor (most likely Notepad).

It will already contain a few lines which you can leave alone. The change you want to achieve only requires 2 short lines:

Spoiler

return

The first line tells it that you want it to type the ʻ symbol whenever you press the ` key. The part after ; is a comment and it is good practice to use them.

I am honestly not sure whether the return line is necessary, but it works with it and I don't feel like testing it without it, it seems to be a part of every AutoHotkey function.

Spoiler

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.

return

Save the changes as you normally would in Notepad (or the editor you prefer) and close the file.

You can now double-click on the file and you can notice an AutoHotkey icon appear in the system tray on the right of the Task panel. You can right-click this icon and click on "Exit" to stop the script, otherwise it will keep running in the background. The resource usage is basically non-existent - I've been running a similar tiny script on my machine for years (to launch a specific utility with just one key) without noticing any slowdown whatsoever.

The script will now work on any machine that has AutoHotkey installed on it. Feel free to play with AutoHotkey and create some more helpful little scripts (or expand the one you already have with more features).

If you want to run it on other machines or uninstall AutoHotkey, you will first want to right-click on the file again and choose "Compile Script".

This option will create a .exe file that runs the same script, just without needing AutoHotkey to be installed at all. After this step, you can uninstall AutoHotkey.

You can also copy this .exe into the Startup folder on your machine and never have to worry about launching it again. This is what I chose to do with the script I made for myself. I've tranferred it several times when I've moved onto a different computer and I don't even remember what I wrote into it, just that it works like I want it to (just checked, the file creation date is literally the 17th of September 2017, no wonder I can't remember exactly what it contains ha).

Just don't forget that you use it before you start to wonder why you can't type the ` symbol.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

7 hours ago, DJ46 said:

Reveal hidden contents

return

Reveal hidden contents

return

Thank you sir or madam! People like you make the world a wonderful place to live in.

5 hours ago, Blurrybob said:

Thank you sir or madam! People like you make the world a wonderful place to live in.

Thank you, your response honestly means a lot to me.

I hope the possibilities AutoHotkey offers will give you other ideas for simple automation and improve your PC experience 🙂