Any thoughts on the Surface Book 3?

Hey guys. So after considering several laptops including the ROG Zephyrus, the Dell XPS, the HP Envy/Spectre lineups, the Razer Blade 15, the new MacBook Air ,and the LG Gram, I realized that they all have a dealbreaker for me. I'm looking for a super portable laptop with good battery life and powerful enough to handle moderately complex tasks such as coding (including using virtual machines), light video editing, and light gaming. For that matter, I need a discrete GPU.

I would be using it mostly in bed or around the house when I don't want to use my gaming desktop, and on the go, hence the necessity for a good bright display and long battery life. I also need ports.

So the Surface stood out to me because its price is now discounted so the 16GB/256GB model can be found at $1800 on the Microsoft website and $1700 on BestBuy. It comes with a 15W i7 and a 1650Ti. I'm not sure if it's still overpriced but I went on the Apple website and I can see that a 256GB iPad Pro paired with a Magic Keyboard would cost $1450, and that's without the adapters.

So should I go for it or are there better options that I missed.

look into asus zenbook (flip)?

also, last i heard, MS is still having oddities with the surtface book's undocking system's stability... which is not quite nice for a $2k laptop...

55 minutes ago, manikyath said:

look into asus zenbook (flip)?

also, last i heard, MS is still having oddities with the surtface book's undocking system's stability... which is not quite nice for a $2k laptop...

The Flip looks pretty awesome. I was watching the HardwareCannucks review, but then I stopped watching as soon as they mentioned that there was no headphone jack. I mean it's Asus, they are good at screwing up otherwise nice products. I also considered buying tht Zephyrus but that one has no webcam...

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

The Flip looks pretty awesome. I was watching the HardwareCannucks review, but then I stopped watching as soon as they mentioned that there was no headphone jack. I mean it's Asus, they are good at screwing up otherwise nice products. I also considered buying tht Zephyrus but that one has no webcam...

my asus zenbook flip 15 inch has a headphone jack. the only port it's really lacking for me, but it comes with a usb ethernet adapter in the box, so that's close enough i guess.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/ZenBook/ZenBook-Flip-15-UX562/

38 minutes ago, Ninjii said:

The battery isnt replaceable, ms does not have a battery program for the surface, you send them the device and many many monies and they send you another one.

I never had a laptop battery replaced in my life so I can live with that.

29 minutes ago, Ninjii said:

That one is pretty neat but a little bit on the expensive side and kind of bulky too compared to a Razer Blade for instance. I would definitely pick it as a main laptop but right now I would want something more portable.

44 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my asus zenbook flip 15 inch has a headphone jack. the only port it's really lacking for me, but it comes with a usb ethernet adapter in the box, so that's close enough i guess.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/ZenBook/ZenBook-Flip-15-UX562/

Okay it seems like it's just the 2020 version. Asus trying to make a trend by removing randomly a headphone jack or a webcam before they realize next year that it was a stupid idea.

• 1 month later...

Maybe I'm too late but then again maybe I'm not so I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. This is a post i recently made about my experience with a SB 3, and it's all coming from someone who owns and loves a SB1. Enjoy.