1660 super or 3060, should I wait ? Dilemma.

chensov

Hi everyone!

Here I am at the cross roads of two different GPUs, building my first PC and this one thing is bothering me.I am not much of a gamer however, would love to get into it. I currently only play counter strike 1.6 since to me nothing beats that game. My wife will use the computer for AutoCad and other fairly heavy programs.

I was looking at 1660 super, however, someone suggested to me not to spend £240 on one (even when they will be in stock) but to wait for 3060 which will be around £300 when we can get them.

so in your opinion what should I do ? Wait or go with 1660 super.

If ‘wait’ is the answer how long do you think it’ll be until normal people can buy them without all this nonsense? 

The system I am building is fairly common and budget around £1000 total. 

CPU- Ryzen 5 3600

Cooling - H100x AIO

RAM - Corsair Vengance 2x8GB 3200

MB - Tomahawk Max b450 

Case - Corsair 4000D airflow

Fans - 3 x Pure Wings 2 120mm

Storage - 500gb m.2 ssd , 1TB 7200 
PSU - Corsair 550W CV550 80+ Bronze 

GPU - Still undecided

Thank you everyone. 

The GTX 1660 Super is a rather underpowered card and at 240 pounds I do feel it's more expensive than it should be... but given the current awful state of the market with shortages all around I understand you find yourself would of choices.

Are you willing to check on used market? Maybe you can find better deal for your money or even just get something much cheaper just to help you get by and later you buy the proper card you want

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

the state of GPUs will be like this for at least another 3-6 months. the release of the 3060 will only make it worse. if you can wait, then wait. but if it is really urgent and you really cannot wait, then go ahead and buy whatever you can find in stock. 

4 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The GTX 1660 Super is a rather underpowered card and at 240 pounds I do feel it's more expensive than it should be... but given the current awful state of the market with shortages all around I understand you find yourself would of choices.

Are you willing to check on used market? Maybe you can find better deal for your money or even just get something much cheaper just to help you get by and later you buy the proper card you want

My common sense is telling me to wait and buy something on the lines of gt 710 just to at least set up the system and not have my PC which I am so eager to build in boxes. And considering that the new 3060 will be around £300 compare to 1660 s which is almost the same price. However, this uncertainty of waiting worries me I don’t know how long ultimately I will have to wait. 

5 minutes ago, The_Vaccine said:

the state of GPUs will be like this for at least another 3-6 months. the release of the 3060 will only make it worse. if you can wait, then wait. but if it is really urgent and you really cannot wait, then go ahead and buy whatever you can find in stock. 

Why do you think it will it make it worse ? I was under the impression that they will release this new GPU and try to meet the demand this time.. or am I just being very naive by trusting Nvidia. I was thinking about a used card but I refuse to overpay by £100 for a GPU especially to scalpers.

40 minutes ago, chensov said:

Why do you think it will it make it worse ? I was under the impression that they will release this new GPU and try to meet the demand this time.. or am I just being very naive by trusting Nvidia. I was thinking about a used card but I refuse to overpay by £100 for a GPU especially to scalpers.

because even more people will be interested in buying a new GPU so the number of people buying increases. so more demand in an already constrained market. also, given that the 3060 has so much vram, miners will pay 2x or even 3x for this kind of GPU. demand will fly through the roof and past the edge of teh universe

12 hours ago, The_Vaccine said:

because even more people will be interested in buying a new GPU so the number of people buying increases. so more demand in an already constrained market. also, given that the 3060 has so much vram, miners will pay 2x or even 3x for this kind of GPU. demand will fly through the roof and past the edge of teh universe

Great explanation, thanks. 

I think you should get the 1660 super if you really need it. I have it paired with a ryzen 5 2600 for more then a year and I am really satisfied, I play almost any game at high settings 60+ fps. Though I paid a little less then you would, 200 pounds converted.

4 hours ago, STRADI said:

I think you should get the 1660 super if you really need it. I have it paired with a ryzen 5 2600 for more then a year and I am really satisfied, I play almost any game at high settings 60+ fps. Though I paid a little less then you would, 200 pounds converted.

Thanks for your response. You see if 3060 wasn’t coming out I would probably too. But would you buy 1660 s for let’s say $200 when next month 3060 is coming out for $300. And of course it will be much more powerful card ? That’s the question is writing and spending an $100 worth it..

2 hours ago, chensov said:

Thanks for your response. You see if 3060 wasn’t coming out I would probably too. But would you buy 1660 s for let’s say $200 when next month 3060 is coming out for $300. And of course it will be much more powerful card ? That’s the question is writing and spending an $100 worth it..

I would personally hold out for the 3060. Yes the 12gb of Vram will make it appealing to some, but it also has a much slower bus rate which hurt that appeal too. I suspect it will be comparable to a 2080 or 2080s in performance which will be a pretty good bump in performance compared to the 1660.

The 1660 Super is a good card but a tad expensive. If you can wait for the 3060 I would but given COVID and the Mining crisis I would expect it might be v hard to get a 3060 in 2021 at all. It's really down to timing for you. I would prob get the Super and use that and then if there are reasonable stock of 3060 in Q4 you could upgrade (You will like still be able to get $150 for the Super) if you need/still want it.