DO GRAPHIC CARD BACKPLATES REALLY GET HOT?

Aaron1080p

So I been testing and observing my RX 570 and it performs really above my expectation especially when I render my 3dscenes 40mins less now.

And 'Ive been monitoring its temperature too of course. And it doesn't get high above 65c (at least during when I am looking at the numbers).

Then earlier tonight, I touched my case's tempered glass, not expecting too feel warmth. It's new to me since this is my first beefy card so I got a little nervous. I touched the backplate as it was the first thing to touch and it was really hot. 
But when I touched the heatsink it wasn't that hot like the backplate. The heatsink was warm but not comparable to the backplate that I couldnt let my finger stay in there touching it. I touched the motherboard of the card (expecting maybe it's abnormally hot and maybe its frying up the whole card) but it wasn't that hot like the backplate. 

So I researched right away, and backplates do get hot just like heatsinks. But it's really concerning for me. Or should I be? Why is it that it is hotter than the heatsink?

Do I need to buy a case fan to help it? Would it damage my card if I let it get hot like that? 

Thank you in advance as always. 🙂

4 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

But it's really concerning for me. Or should I be?

It all depends on how the card has been designed. If the card has been designed to use the backplate as an additional heatsink, then yes, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

30 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

It all depends on how the card has been designed. If the card has been designed to use the backplate as an additional heatsink, then yes, it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I tried playing The Forest in maxed settings for 10mins and I feel it getting hot. That soon...

10 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

I tried playing The Forest in maxed settings for 10mins and I feel it getting hot. That soon...

And? Heatsinks get hot, that's what they do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

And? Heatsinks get hot, that's what they do.

I'm referring to the backplate. They get hotter than the heatsink. And fast.

53 minutes ago, Aaron1080p said:

Keep in mind that the backplate is basically pressed against the back of the GPU core, and doesn't get much active airflow, so it's going to naturally run pretty warm. It's not something you really need to worry about - if it's not instantly giving you a bad burn, it's not hot enough to damage your components.

Depending on the GPU in question the backplate is often connected to the back of the GPU core or the back of the VRMs. Both get toasty fast, it's normal to feel it getting warm in that amount of time. 

(Some cards have purely aesthetical backplates, those shouldn't get very hot)

On my Vega56 the backplate gets hotter than the normal heatsink, too. Just the VRMs touch the backplate, though they are not well cooled in the first place...

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

A heatsink has a lot more area to dissipate heat. It also has a fan over it (on a GPU) so it is actively moving heat away from it.

A backplate does not.

If it was dangerous for the card, manufacturers would not put backplates on their GPUs. The last thing they want is an RMA because the backplate caused damage to the GPU. That makes no sense economically.

If it's getting hot, it's doing its job; absorbing heat.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

Depends on the card. Most do get hot. Especially with a poor design. 

I had two identical cards, one on air and one on water. Using a sealed backplate like an ek version was very hot. 70-80c

A perforated one like evga sat around 60c. The cards have vram on the back too. Contributes to a lot more heat. 

But all of my cards get hot on the back but that depends on how hot they get as well. Tend to keep mine no hotter than 45c ever. And I keep my builds designed with airflow for all the mobo components anyway, so everything tends to stay cool. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

5 hours ago, Aaron1080p said:

If you are saying it is HOT by feel, then that's not a properly way to measure it.

For human skin, basically anything 50*C+ is hot.

But for a GPU, 50*C is considered COOL; 80*C is warm / hot-ish, 95*C+ is HOT.

80*C for human skin can be hot enough to cause burns.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>