Phone *thinks* its Overheating when its not. Shuts itself off.

RainOfPain125

Title. I have an old Samsung Galaxy J320V. I can take the back off and feel every part of the phone - it is not overheating. Yet the OS will say it is, close me out of anything I was in, and then soon after it will turn my phone off.

I did bring the phone with my into a very hot shower, and so I figure some steam could have gotten into the phone near a temperature sensor, and maybe that water is still there and that is messing with the sensor?

If my guess is correct then either

• How do I remove the water *inside* a phone? (lol)
  • or
  • How do I disable the automatic shutdown feature when the phone thinks its "hot"

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, RainOfPain125 said:

Title. I have an old Samsung Galaxy J320V. I can take the back off and feel every part of the phone - it is not overheating. Yet the OS will say it is, close me out of anything I was in, and then soon after it will turn my phone off.

I did bring the phone with my into a very hot shower, and so I figure some steam could have gotten into the phone near a temperature sensor, and maybe that water is still there and that is messing with the sensor?

If my guess is correct then either

• How do I remove the water *inside* a phone? (lol)
  • or
  • How do I disable the automatic shutdown feature when the phone thinks its "hot"

Kind of an older post so not sure if you're still looking for an answer, but I was browsing and thought I'd throw in my two cents. This does sound like a sensor issue and may actually be caused by a failing battery believe it or not. I've seen it before in some phones. Have you swapped the battery before? Clearly the phone's sensors are shot but you can also try a factory reset just to rule out any software glitches. I don't think you can disable automatic shutdown feature, I just tried Googling it and the only articles I could find were from Android Nougat. So I'd say take it to a repair shop if you're partial to it or  find another cheap used phone online.

Or maybe the phone is fixed somehow and everything I just said is now moot.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro