Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU Temp doesn't seem stable.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if this is an issue with either Thermal paste, or CPU Cooler.

Here's what I have for my system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

MB: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite WIFI

Memory: 64GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

AIO: be quiet Cool Loop 280

 

My CPU temp cycles up and down pretty regularly.  I have seen period where it doesn't do it as much as shown.  in other words, it jumps, drops, then runs a straight line for ~30 seconds then repeats.  In this picture it hasn't gotten above 62C, and drops to ~40C.  Most spikes are about 8-10C above the baseline.

CPU_Temp.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mark W said:

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if this is an issue with either Thermal paste, or CPU Cooler.

Here's what I have for my system:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

MB: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite WIFI

Memory: 64GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

AIO: be quiet Cool Loop 280

 

My CPU temp cycles up and down pretty regularly.  I have seen period where it doesn't do it as much as shown.  in other words, it jumps, drops, then runs a straight line for ~30 seconds then repeats.  In this picture it hasn't gotten above 62C, and drops to ~40C.  Most spikes are about 8-10C above the baseline.

CPU_Temp.jpg

Mine is much more consistent, but I don't have anything running and was just letting it idle. Your usage just looks like there were background tasks causing the spikes as the cpu needed to clock up and down to complete them.
image.png.761842c210e8e3f09e1d3eee19f9687b.png
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

Mine is much more consistent, but I don't have anything running and was just letting it idle. Your usage just looks like there were background tasks causing the spikes as the cpu needed to clock up and down to complete them.
image.png.761842c210e8e3f09e1d3eee19f9687b.png
 

Thanks.  Let me look into that. I do have a lot of background processes.  It's my home office PC, although I built it to handle video editing too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Shut down a lot of excess processes.  The Core utilization has gotten lower, but the temps still cycle about 8-10C.  The big spike in the middle is where I'm shutting them down.

CPU_Temp-2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you monitor clock speed as well?
a) Looks a little like it uses the boost clock for a second to handle a certain task and then goes back to regular task. 


b) I have no personal experiences with AIO cooling but could it be some kind of control oscillation?

Like pump goes fast -> cpu cools a lot -> pump slows -> heats up -> pump goes fast again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Shut down a lot of excess processes.  The Core utilization has gotten lower, but the temps still cycle about 8-10C.  The big spike in the middle is where I'm shutting them down.

CPU_Temp-2.jpg

I mean I'm not seeing anything inherently bad. Temps are well below what I consider concerning. The only thing I could see being an issue would be if your fans constant ramp up and down which can be solved via reducing the ramp up time or adjusting the curve at where they ramp so that the subtle temp changes at that range don't effect it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Smartiefox said:

Do you monitor clock speed as well?
a) Looks a little like it uses the boost clock for a second to handle a certain task and then goes back to regular task. 


b) I have no personal experiences with AIO cooling but could it be some kind of control oscillation?

Like pump goes fast -> cpu cools a lot -> pump slows -> heats up -> pump goes fast again. 

The pump runs at a constant speed. it controls the fan speed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I mean I'm not seeing anything inherently bad. Temps are well below what I consider concerning. The only thing I could see being an issue would be if your fans constant ramp up and down which can be solved via reducing the ramp up time or adjusting the curve at where they ramp so that the subtle temp changes at that range don't effect it.

Thank you, I am making a few adjustments to fan speed like that.  We'll see.  It doesn't hit over 80C even running a 10min CineBench test.  I think I've seen it hit 82C once.

CineBench-MultiCore.jpg

CineBench-SingleCore.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×