Time to revisit the topic of Star Citizen - The game actually WORKS now!

WallacEngineering

DISCLAIMER: I recommend reading entire OP and watching videos before commenting, as assuming without educating yourself on the CURRENT status of this controversial game as of 2021 will simply make you look like an uneducated fanboy or anti-fanboy. Ive provided both positive and negative perspectives while remaining a fan of the game.

SPOILER ALERT! The game is still very much in Alpha state, there are limited missions, tons of bugs everywhere, and even an RTX 3090 will struggle to get anything over 75 FPS even at 1080p thanks to server limitations more than anything plus the EXTREME graphics detail and depth of the game. But luckily I get a decent 45-50 FPS even on my 5700 XT, so it is playable. But, after 9 long years of development, Alpha 3.12 is actually a REAL game, with REAL things to do, everything from mining, to exploring caves, to ship combat, to foot combat, to deliveries is all now possible! There are currently around 30 ships and 5 ground vehicles available for use TODAY, with planning for over 100 vehicles by the game's final release.

If you are new and interested in Star Citizen, DO NOT be intimidated by the website showing you game packages costing hundreds of dollars. EVERY ship currently available CAN be purchased in-game by grinding enough in-game currency. Those options are there for mega-fans to provide the developers (Cloud Imperium Games) with additional backing funds. There are many tutorial videos available on YouTube to help you chose the right ship and get started in the game.

For those of you unaware, Star Citizen is the Open-World, MMORPG Space Simulator (similar to Elite Dangerous but FAR MORE in-depth and technical) game that has been undergoing controversy for many years as it is the largest budget game of all time, even surpassing the recent CyberPunk 2077 and still NOWHERE NEAR being finished in either development OR funding, racking up $320 Million+ USD SO FAR! The reason for all the controversy is those who do not believe in the ability of the developers jump to call the game a "Scam that will never be finished, completely impossible". This is because of the size and scope of the game.

Take Cyberpunk 2077 and multiply its entire game world by about 10,000 times over, and that is how much PLAYABLE area you have in Star Citizen SO FAR, consisting of an entire solar system set in the future year of 2951 (the year always stays 930 years ahead of IRL so in 2022 the game year will be 2952). EVERY SINGLE Planet, asteroid, moon and square inch of space is entirely playable, land-able, and explorable (Minus the Gas Giant and Sun for obvious reasons but the Gas Giant has moons to explore). On planets there can be massive cities, each multiple times the size of CyberPunk 2077's "Night City" where again, every inch is explorable (if you don't mind being shot by security in restricted areas LOL).

Today I will show you a large selection of videos to watch before you get started playing the game. These videos are designed to show you just what playing the game is like, and explain why fans like me are so exited about the game and its latest Alpha. You see, Star Citizen goes WELL above and beyond what current games are technically capable of, offering you basically a "Realistic Life Simulator of the Year 2951". You can do LITERALLY anything you want, anywhere you want, with quite LITERALLY hundreds of thousands of square miles to explore, even on foot! And CIG plans to have several entire solar systems available someday, aiming for the goal of 100 entire, complete, explorable Solar Systems.

Lets start the videos with Fan-Made Trailers. This game is so pretty, anyone can make a cinematic trailer out of gameplay footage thanks to the game's built-in "Pretty Camera Mode", a detachable 3rd person camera with no HUD interference that allows you to take the most pretty shots in real-time as you play. Such a tool allows these fan-made trailers to be possible. ALL three of these trailers are made with footage from ACTUAL players ACTUALLY playing the game and simply using "Pretty Camera Mode" to capture moments. When doing missions, players will often recruit extra players literally JUST to be camera-men and capture moments in a cinematic fashion. THAT is how pretty this game really is. Just watch the trailers, you will see what I mean:

The First Two Trailers focus on a balance of pretty shots and showing you actual gameplay, with the final one focusing on nothing but beauty shots with a wonderful soundtrack, really drawing the viewer into the scenery:

(Very Recent, About a Month Old)

(About a Year Old)

(Very Recent, About A Month Old - Scenery ONLY)

Now, having seen those, I am sure you think the game is very pretty, but you may not quite understand why people love the game so much, or just what makes this game so special, so different and more advanced than any other game currently on the market. That is what these next videos explore. The First video explores the sheer size and scale of Star Citizen. The Second video explains why players love playing the game despite the bugs and issues. The Third video is a Positive Perspective, exploring what this technology could mean for future gaming, while in the background there is unedited gameplay. Finally, the fourth video shows a negative point of view, why so much controversy has surrounded the development of the game and why so many people call it a "Scam".

(A Look into the Scale and Scope of Star Citizen - Very Recent)

(5 Reasons to Love Star Citizen - Very Recent)

(Positive Point of View - Discussing Star Citizen and Future Gaming Technologies - Very Recent) 

(Negative Point of View - Why Star Citizen is a Scam - Very Recent)

Finally, I had one last video I wanted to share - just what kind of fun can you have with ship combat? Well, a massive army of 50 players took on the hardest challenge of the 3.12 update. Taking down the first ever implemented Capital-Class Enemy Ship in the game. Now in the video, they state that CIG has now made the enemy invincible, but this video is over half a year old, and since then, the questline concerning the ship has been implemented and players can take on the ship once again. Anyways, I would love to hear your thoughts on the game, let me know if you have tried it out!

(Star Citizen Gameplay - Massive Raid VS the "Idris" Capital Ship - About Half a Year Old)

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

7 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

and even an RTX 3090 will struggle to get anything over 75 FPS even at 1080p thanks to server limitations more than anything plus the EXTREME graphics detail and depth of the game

I've never seen a game where frame rates were affected by the server, care to elaborate on that? 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I am sorry but you already lost me at the first sentence.

1 minute ago, WallacEngineering said:

SPOILER ALERT! The game is still very much in Alpha state, there are limited missions, tons of bugs everywhere, and even an RTX 3090 will struggle to get anything over 75 FPS even at 1080p thanks to server limitations more than anything plus the EXTREME graphics detail and depth of the game.

I am glad it is worth downloading if you already have it, but to me it still is not a game I would even consider buying. 

5 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

CyberPunk 2077 and still NOWHERE NEAR being finished in either development OR funding, racking up $320 Million+ USD SO FAR! The reason for all the controversy is those who do not believe in the ability of the developers jump to call the game a "Scam that will never be finished, completely impossible". This is because of the size and scope of the game.

Game is still a scam and will be forever in development. This game was extremely hyped (thanks linus) and is in a worse state than CP2077 despite being the most expensive game project ever because in the end CP2077 will be fixed and complete by the end of this year, can you say that for Star Citizen? I believe games should start with a reasonable scope then expand that with additional funding (also talking to you CDPR). For the first 3(not sure about the exact time) game was nothing but a walking simulator. Ability of the developers is something else than ability of the company to the pay them to continue working on it for longer. Anyways, good to see atleast someone is enjoying the game despite being a massive development hell.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I've never seen a game where frame rates were affected by the server, care to elaborate on that? 

Its literally just how many people have to populate so many objects in the universe that between all the players and procedural generation combined, the servers just can't pysically handle it. At least thats how I understand it.

Current Build Thread:

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am sorry but you already lost me at the first sentence.

I am glad it is worth downloading if you already have it, but to me it still is not a game I would even consider buying. 

Game is still a scam and will be forever in development. This game was extremely hyped (thanks linus) and is in a worse state than CP2077 despite being the most expensive game project ever because in the end CP2077 will be fixed and complete by the end of this year, can you say that for Star Citizen? I believe games should start with a reasonable scope then expand that with additional funding (also talking to you CDPR). For the first 3(not sure about the exact time) game was nothing but a walking simulator. Ability of the developers is something else than ability of the company to the pay them to continue working on it for longer. Anyways, good to see atleast someone is enjoying the game despite being a massive development hell.

Watch the videos before jumping to conclusions. At this point, the game works, any theory of a scam is already debunked. There are plenty of games out there still in Alpha that are fantastic. Ever played 7 Days to Die or From the Depths? Both in Alpha many many years and still are, both are not scams either.

Watch the negative point of view video, he explains why the game turned out like this. Chris Roberts LITERALLY asked the community once the initial goals were hit if they wanted to continue, and 90+% of backers said yes, so that was that, the never-ending development was born just like so many games. However, just like 7 Days to Die, Star Citizen is basically a finished product at this point, the only reason they keep it "Alpha" status is because of the bugs and poor performance plus the want to add more systems.

Current Build Thread:

27 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Its literally just how many people have to populate so many objects in the universe that between all the players and procedural generation combined, the servers just can't pysically handle it. At least thats how I understand it.

I find it...curious, that after all this time and money they have made selling in-game items, that they couldn't spring for a few more servers and bandwidth. I remain skeptical of this explanation (not of you, you are simply pointing out what others have said and I respect this)

Nonetheless, it is in the realm of possibility but I dunno...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I find it...curious, that after all this time and money they have made selling in-game items, that they couldn't spring for a few more servers and bandwidth. I remain skeptical of this explanation (not of you, you are simply pointing out what others have said and I respect this)

Nonetheless, it is in the realm of possibility but I dunno...

Thats just what I have been told in game when I asked. Basically, as of now, all PCs of a decent caliber or above all perform very closely to one another and thats just how it is. An RTX 3070 will get about the same frame rate at the same settings as an RTX 3090 or very close to, with the performance difference maybe being 5-10%.

CIG keeps a great deal of secrets close to their hearts and are only so transparent with general development topics these days because of the "Negative Nancy" people who began spreading false rumors that the game is a scam. Chris Roberts is simply a guy obsessed with creating the greatest space sim ever made. The funny thing is he is passionate to a fault. The game already far exceeds the capabilities and detail of Elite Dangerous or Eve Online and yet he wants to keep going, on and on forever into the void because he asked the people and the people said "Yes, make my dreams come true!" This game is already the game of my dreams I had as a child, even in its current state.

What I think is ridiculous is that he wants 100 systems all the same size and scale as the one currently playable, that took nearly a decade to complete. I say just finish it now, maybe copy-paste the basic layout to another system or two, change the look of some planets, add a couple unique missions and more standard missions, then release the Persistent Universe as a completed game. Honestly its just as good as Elite Dangerous already, so Squadron42 can just be a sequel in the future, kind of like the differences between Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series, going from single player games to MMOs, only in the opposite direction.

Current Build Thread:

If you guys ask me, Star Citizen is more of a game already than CyberPunk 2077. Not only is CyberPunk just as buggy as Star Citizen, so broken that you can't even play the game on older gen consoles, but sometimes missions are bugged literally FOREVER! I played the game on this PC. A mission bugged so badly that I can never complete it, I had to defeat a group of enemies and I guess one didn't spawn, I spent hours searching and nothing, so I gave up on the side mission and finished all others and beat the main story line.

Even having gotten the game THE DAY IT CAME OUT, to this day I cannot complete the side quest. At least if a mission bugs in Star Citizen, because its an MMO you can simply delete the quest and then obtain it again, where as this is not possible in CyberPunk. If I wanted to complete the mission, I would have to delete my game, start over entirely, and look carefully for the bug when I come to the same area again, saving both before and after the area works, something I wish I had known the first time!

By the way, CD Project also completely lied about how long the game is. I completed the game on Very Hard with all side missions excluding the bugged one to the point where the only thing I can do is replay the ending of the game or do random criminal events, in under 50 hours as recorded by Steam. I have the most expensive car in the game, the fastest car, the biggest truck, the most powerful weapons, super over-powered Cyberware where I can literally just reset and knock out an enemy by hacking them, and nearly maxed out my level. And I never even looked up any YouTube videos. I even got the best ending with Panam all on my own.

But look at that, already spent 100+ hours on Star Citizen over the years and nowhere near even the biggest ships. I played CyberPunk for less than a month and then completely stopped caring about the game at all, yet Star Citizen can keep my attention for years. Which one seems like more of a game to you? Its just as endless as Elite Dangerous. I expected way more out of CyberPunk, I couldn't even compare it to old Fallout games, it was fun while it lasted but looking at it from an outside perspective at this point, CyberPunk was kind of a really bad joke...

Current Build Thread:

18 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Not only is CyberPunk just as buggy as Star Citizen

That's called whataboutism and it's not a justification for your fav game being a buggy mess, don't fall into that logic trap.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's called whataboutism and it's not a justification for your fav game being a buggy mess, don't fall into that logic trap.

Eh very true, but Star Citizen is ALMOST my favorite game as of now, with the lack of mission diversity at the moment, I've actually been playing more Fallout 4 and 7 Days to Die than Star Citizen lately, but thats only because Ive already done most of the missions possible in the game in its current state, where as Ive never fully finished the DLC content on Fallout 4 because the game is so ridiculously long lol, but that is the true testament of a real game, many years down the line I am replaying through good old Fallout 4 good old-fashioned vanilla, no mods. Where as honestly I can't ever see myself playing CyberPunk ever again.

I thought CyberPunk would be a futuristic GTA 5, and while the overall story may revolve around being a criminal just like it, it doesn't come anywhere close. Its not about the bugs, its about how quickly the game gets old, no longer fun to play. I spent years on GTA 5 and then revisited years later, even considering firing it back up now for the new island or whatever they put in. CyberPunk just isn't what I had hoped it to be.

Current Build Thread:

Since I mentioned 7 Days to Die earlier I figured I would simply share a gameplay playlist with you. Alpha 19 is fully stable at this point but these guys played when Alpha 19 was unofficial and start having issues in the later stages of the game with frame rate.

This playlist is still a good example of what the game has to offer, a brilliant blend of Zombie Apocalypse Survival, intense realistic survival with hunger and thirst, plus s Minecraft-like building element only FAR more in depth with so many more possibilities.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi0S8hZejysEj0GBSTjvP69LnNdR1F2L_

Current Build Thread:

Sorry guys, I know its been a bit, just been busy playing the actual game lol, finally earned enough credits for my first large ship - the RSI Constellation Andromeda. Surprisingly nimble for such a big ship. Easily gets my recommendation if you want your first larger-style gun ship, multi-crew thing.

The extra-player operated turrets are broken on this model in this Alpha, but I hear it is to be fixed within 2 weeks from today. For now if you want to operate a turret on a milti-crew ship, I suggest literally any other large ship. Most work just fine. If you see anyone in a ship called the "HammerHead" ask them if you can tag along. Its the largest, highest DPS ship players can buy in the game right now fitting a crew of up to 10 players with 6 player-operated turrets, turns out like 25K DPS when fully manned lol.

The HammerHead is how you will experience the hardest missions in the game. I even tried to take down the Idris Capitol ship last night with some buddies. Sadly we failed. You probably need 3-4 HammerHeads to destroy it without much risk, all we had was our HammerHead and me in my Andromeda. We just didn't have the firepower.

Then when the Idris charged its rail cannon we knew we were screwed and it one-shot us both lol. I can see why 50 player fleets have been assembled to take it down lol 🤣

In other news, if you are interested in playing, beware of this scam going around eBay, you WILL LOSE your IRL money if you purchase from these people, because the game is currently ALPHA and we are running on ALPHA currency in game which WILL BE WIPED for final release. The only ship you will have when the full game launches is the one you bought with your game package or other stand-alone ships you bought SPECIFICALLY on the RSI website with your IRL money. There is currently NO WAY to permanently buy a ship for final release using in-game currency.

This is because of the fact that a number of exploits that exist, where you can earn millions of credits in just a few hours, so CIG has simply decided that until the final game is released and balanced, your purchases in game are TEMPORARY. For example, I now own 4 ships in the game, however when the game launches fully, those other 3 ships will be GONE and I will only have my Aegis Avenger Titan starter ship again because the game package I selected and bought with REAL money is the Titan Avenger game package (which by the way is a great choice as its inexpensive and a great starter ship thats good at trading, running packages, and combat with its high DPS loadout, decent health and good manuverability as a light fighter/courier multi-role starter ship). Be sure to watch this video and pay attention to what he is saying: 

Current Build Thread:

• 2 weeks later...

Final update to this thread. So update 3.12.1 just hit, its a great time to join the game, it includes a massive server-wide mission/event available to all players in each server where you actually take down several Idris capital ships that are honing in on a friendly Javelin capital ship. You make money in game playing the mission no matter what, with bonuses for extra kills or landing a kill shot on an Idris. CIG also made the right call to reduce maximum players per server from 50 to 40 to drastically improve the performance of the game, and quite a lot of major bugs were wiped out with this update as well. I've already done the mission several times and killed probably a dozen Idris's myself using the largest missiles in the game which basically deliver the damage of a miniature nuclear warhead. There has never been a better time to play, take a look:

Current Build Thread: