Is Philips Hue still a RIPOFF?

in this video from 2018, Linus talks about the smart bulb world, now that we are in 2021 I would love to hear what the status is now with new competitors like IKEA entering the market. let me hear som thoughts 😄

might be a video idea since i see this video come up everytime i serch anything smart light so world be awsome with an update 😄 

I don't know much about it but a quick glance on their website and it still seems very rip-off worthy to me 😂.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

They’ve settled into the same price category as the rest for the most part.

If you want a microprocessor and wireless data equipment crammed into every lightbulb, prepare to pay more for it than you would a regular lightbulb.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

phillips hue? more like phillips HOE

Dream build:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-10600K | GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS ELITE | Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L| RGB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  16GB (2x8) CL18 3600MHz |

Intel 660P 512GB NVMe | Kingston A400 SSDNow 480GB 2.5" | WD "Caviar" Blue 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" | MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Gaming EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+ | THERMALTAKE RGB H200 USB 3.0 |

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire

Mouse: Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro

Monitors:

(1) LG 27'" 27Gl650F-B 144hz 1ms IPS G-Sync Pivot 3

(2) Acer Predator XB241YUbmiprz 23.8" 144Hz 1ms G-Sync

Headset:

Kingston HyperX HX-HSCSC2-BK-WW Cloud Stinger Core 

The ikda bulbs work in the philips ecosystem. myplayhouse did a video on it

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

Depends.

Do you want a light system that tightly integrates with your Network and can be synced with near anything? Do you want to stick with a company that makes Smart Bulbs of varying sizes that others don't? Then no, as Phillips probably offers the best you can get in this area.

Do you just want lights that can be controlled over WiFi? Then yes, though I probably wouldn't trust anything from Ikea. The biggest problems can be finding a bulb that produces the colors you want and offers varying bulb sizes for things such as ceiling fans.

Home automation is coming along but I still feel it is in the early adopter phase, expect to pay more until they become a more viable alternative. For now know you are an early adopter and pay the money for the decent offering. A budget offering will just have all the useful things cut out to make a quick buck for someone, they do not help to bring the tech into the affordable space other than to apply a little pressure to the quality products to become more affordable sooner to compete.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I've never felt Hue was a rip off.

Of all my "smart" home things my Hue lights have been the most reliable, has the wides usable range of dimming etc. (I don't use that much colored lights as I use Hue stuff mainly for general lighting and I don't want my home to feel like a borthel) 

Personally, I just install some smart switches to control dumb lights. Works great and I can use any type of light I want. Although for lamps I may get Tradfri for the good price and ecosystem. The Yeelight also seems compelling because no hub.