Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Website question wanting to contribute to the school

So like I am making a website for my school and I want to code all of it if possible so like I am looking for a way that I can make  announcements faster that I just input the title of the topic and the content in a input type kind of style then add a picture then it automatically builds a page for me.

 

Do you guys have any idea how?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, hinzwifi said:

So like I am making a website for my school and I want to code all of it if possible so like I am looking for a way that I can make  announcements faster that I just input the title of the topic and the content in a input type kind of style then add a picture then it automatically builds a page for me.

 

Do you guys have any idea how?

Then you don't want to code a website you want to automate content creation correct ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hinzwifi said:

So like I am making a website for my school and I want to code all of it if possible so like I am looking for a way that I can make  announcements faster that I just input the title of the topic and the content in a input type kind of style then add a picture then it automatically builds a page for me.

 

Do you guys have any idea how?

Do you mean something like WordPress?  Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS — WordPress.org

 

Wordpress is free and you can host it yourself, it's quite useful if you want to develop something once and let administrators log into it and use an editor to create posts.  There are many ways you can design it so you can use it for really any basic website nowadays. 

 

The pros of wordpress is that it's really easy to set-up and has many tutorials available,

the cons is that it's often the subject of vulnerabilities and exploits since it's one of the most popular CMS platforms out there (so ensure it ALWAYS stays up to date), users can log into the site, so if your administrators have poor credentials then students may be able to hack into the site, and you need to have a dedicated database for it (I'd suggest setting up a dedicated database server, or using a cloud service). 

 

If you're up for using an alternative to Wordpress there are ones like Ghost Ghost: Turn your audience into a business which can be good, and other alternatives (you can google alternatives to wordpress to get more details). 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Personal advice:

 

I would let your school know of your plans, and ask them to give you an annual budget.  They will need to invest in proper infrastructure for a good service. 

 

You could get a third party hosting platform for Wordpress (like Bluehost).   Or if you want to code it yourself and have it a bit cheaper go with some cloud services:

 

Check this guide out for a guide on setting up Wordpress on Azure: Azure Hosting on Wordpress | Pantheon

 

Azure will be more secure for your school than using a local server.  You should only use local physical servers for internal infrastructure such as AD domains, etc. 

 __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______      _____     ______        __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______  
/\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \    /\  __-.  /\  ___\      /\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \ 
\ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/    \ \ \/\ \ \ \  __\      \ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/ 
 \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\       \ \____-  \ \_____\     \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\   
  \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/        \/____/   \/_____/      \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/   
                                                                                                                                          
      __   __   ___                    __           ___       __   ___           
|__| /  \ |__) |__     |    |  |  /\  /__`    |__| |__  |    |__) |__  |  | |    
|  | \__/ |    |___    |    |/\| /~~\ .__/    |  | |___ |___ |    |    \__/ |___ 
                                                                                 
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Akolyte said:

Do you mean something like WordPress?  Blog Tool, Publishing Platform, and CMS — WordPress.org

 

Wordpress is free and you can host it yourself, it's quite useful if you want to develop something once and let administrators log into it and use an editor to create posts.  There are many ways you can design it so you can use it for really any basic website nowadays. 

 

The pros of wordpress is that it's really easy to set-up and has many tutorials available,

the cons is that it's often the subject of vulnerabilities and exploits since it's one of the most popular CMS platforms out there (so ensure it ALWAYS stays up to date), users can log into the site, so if your administrators have poor credentials then students may be able to hack into the site, and you need to have a dedicated database for it (I'd suggest setting up a dedicated database server, or using a cloud service). 

 

If you're up for using an alternative to Wordpress there are ones like Ghost Ghost: Turn your audience into a business which can be good, and other alternatives (you can google alternatives to wordpress to get more details). 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Personal advice:

 

I would let your school know of your plans, and ask them to give you an annual budget.  They will need to invest in proper infrastructure for a good service. 

 

You could get a third party hosting platform for Wordpress (like Bluehost).   Or if you want to code it yourself and have it a bit cheaper go with some cloud services:

 

Check this guide out for a guide on setting up Wordpress on Azure: Azure Hosting on Wordpress | Pantheon

 

Azure will be more secure for your school than using a local server.  You should only use local physical servers for internal infrastructure such as AD domains, etc. 

I appreciate it but I need to be able to be the one to code and not to rely on a website builder since this would serve as my research project in school.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Then you don't want to code a website you want to automate content creation correct ?

no no like I wanna make like a submission bin in my website and it will automatically build a website or does that not exist and people manually code them for their website without relying in wwebsite bulder?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hinzwifi said:

I appreciate it but I need to be able to be the one to code and not to rely on a website builder since this would serve as my research project in school.

 

You could make your research process developing Wordpress?  

 

It is a whole technology subject, and courses have been made for it because it can become so complicated: How to Become a WordPress Developer (In 6 Steps) - 000webhost Blog

 

In order to create a wordpress blog you need to:

  • Install Wordpress onto a LAMP/LEMP stack or whatever web stack you're using.
  • Configure, Secure and Optimise a database to be used by Wordpress.
  • Learn best web security practices, design a secure network and web stack, pentest your own application. 
  • Use version control systems like Git, and Git repositories like GitHub, GitLab, etc.  Potentially set-up CI/CD for automated code integration and deployment.

It might be a good project to take on, otherwise you could build your own CMS and get it to do pretty much the same kind of things it would just be a lot harder. 

 __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______      _____     ______        __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______  
/\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \    /\  __-.  /\  ___\      /\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \ 
\ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/    \ \ \/\ \ \ \  __\      \ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/ 
 \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\       \ \____-  \ \_____\     \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\   
  \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/        \/____/   \/_____/      \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/   
                                                                                                                                          
      __   __   ___                    __           ___       __   ___           
|__| /  \ |__) |__     |    |  |  /\  /__`    |__| |__  |    |__) |__  |  | |    
|  | \__/ |    |___    |    |/\| /~~\ .__/    |  | |___ |___ |    |    \__/ |___ 
                                                                                 
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Akolyte said:

You could make your research process developing Wordpress?  

 

It is a whole technology subject, and courses have been made for it because it can become so complicated: How to Become a WordPress Developer (In 6 Steps) - 000webhost Blog

 

In order to create a wordpress blog you need to:

  • Install Wordpress onto a LAMP/LEMP stack or whatever web stack you're using.
  • Configure, Secure and Optimise a database to be used by Wordpress.
  • Learn best web security practices, design a secure network and web stack, pentest your own application. 
  • Use version control systems like Git, and Git repositories like GitHub, GitLab, etc.  Potentially set-up CI/CD for automated code integration and deployment.

It might be a good project to take on, otherwise you could build your own CMS and get it to do pretty much the same kind of things it would just be a lot harder. 

Thank you2 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×