Cinebench R23 crashes with undervolt

JZA
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

CInebench will close if it becomes unstable to avoid a forced shut down, this is normal and means that your undervolt is unstable, best to turn the voltage up a tad and try again.

Hi All,

I'm doing some OC / undervolt testing and using Cinebench R23 as my stress test. I'm using a Ryzen 5 5600X. I'm just testing different configurations to see how PBO, undervolt and other settings affect overall performance, CPU voltage, temps etc. but I have run into a weird problem where Cinebench will close midway through a Multicore run. Windows still keeps running fine but Cinebench closes. I am currently running -30 points undervolt in PBO 2 with PBO limits disabled so it doesn't negate my undervolt. Is it normal for an undervolt to crash software? I thought it would crash the whole computer? Is it possible that something else is at play or is it definitely the undervolt causing Cinebench to crash?

FYI my results so far:

- 10278 Score with completely stock settings. Max voltage that HWinfo observed was 1.394v

- 9998 Score with -20 points undervolt and PBO enabled with +200MHz boost clock (4.85GHz). The max voltage HWinfo observed was 1.444v

- Crash in Cinebench with -30 points undervolt and no other changes. Max voltage observed in HWinfo was 1.237v

Temps never got over 65C with any of these configs using a Noctua NH-U12S.

Thanks in advance.

CInebench will close if it becomes unstable to avoid a forced shut down, this is normal and means that your undervolt is unstable, best to turn the voltage up a tad and try again.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

57 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Awesome, cheers bro. I turned the core voltage up 1 point at a time and ended up with a score of 10804 in Cinebench R23 with -28 points in the Curve Optimiser, average clock across all cores was 4.53 GHz, max clock 4.55 GHz, max voltage observed was 1.231v, max temp 63C. That's about 5.1% improvement over stock just by turning down the voltage. Pretty happy with that! 

• 2 months later...

Hello, I've got the ryzen 7 5800x and before I updated the bios to the last one with the resizable bar option i was doing well with 4.4ghz and 1.2v and cinebench r23 didn't crash. When I updated the bios even if I put 4.4ghz and 1.5v cinebench would crash  for no reason and shut down my pc. Moreover, when I try it on cinebench r20 it goes all right with 4.4ghz 1.25v.

Do you know any reason why is cinebench r23 shutting down my pc? Or why with cinebench r20 I haven't got any problem?

Pc specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x

Rtx 3080 (msi ventus)

32gb ram ddr4 3200mhz (hyperx fury)

Asus rog strix b550-i

1tb ssd samsung 970 evo

750w corsair sf750

case nr200p (coolermaster)