RETRO: Any way to remap OG Xbox Controller bindings?

MADagain321

Hi,

Just curious if anyone has ever seen or been able to remap the OG Xbox controller bindings without "Hard Modding" the controller's right analog stick.

The reason I want to remap them or at least remap the right analog stick is due to most games of that era forcing inverted controls onto the player... and like many MANY people I find inverted to be an unpleasant experience or an unplayable experience.

It's not like it is today where games allow you to invert the controls from the menu back then it was either forced inverted without options to revert... inverted, to make normal. I do have a soft modded OG Xbox so shouldn't be an issue but my understanding is without modding the controller or running an emulator with button remapping features I simply can't... I'm aware that some games have ini files that have control bindings in there but that's few and far between.

So I'd be really interested to know if it's possible.

I make YouTube videos... not as cool as Linus'

Intel Core i7 8700k | Asus Z370 TUF - GAMING Pro motherboard | Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X | 1x WD 3TB HDD | 2x Seagate 1TB HDD | 2x Crucial 480GB SSD | EVGA SUPAnova G2 850 PSU

I doubt many people are playing a lot of OG Xbox games on original hardware these days so probably not a lot of demand for anybody to code a fix. It’s like you already said, probably the easiest solution is a modded controller. 

2 minutes ago, doomsriker said:

I doubt many people are playing a lot of OG Xbox games on original hardware these days so probably not a lot of demand for anybody to code a fix. It’s like you already said, probably the easiest solution is a modded controller. 

You'd be surprised how many collectors there are that do mod old systems... you may not know many but there's a bunch of OG Xbox's selling on places like Ebay these days.

If I knew how to solder properly and was able to obtain "Flux" easily in my region... sure but that's not a viable solution... hence the topic 😉

I make YouTube videos... not as cool as Linus'

Intel Core i7 8700k | Asus Z370 TUF - GAMING Pro motherboard | Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X | 1x WD 3TB HDD | 2x Seagate 1TB HDD | 2x Crucial 480GB SSD | EVGA SUPAnova G2 850 PSU

1 minute ago, MADagain321 said:

You'd be surprised how many collectors there are that do mod old systems... you may not know many but there's a bunch of OG Xbox's selling on places like Ebay these days.

If I knew how to solder properly and was able to obtain "Flux" easily in my region... sure but that's not a viable solution... hence the topic 😉

My point was not about retro gaming itself more that most people don’t tend to dig much deeper into the library than like halo, crimson skies etc (the basic stuff that doesn’t prohibit no reverted stick) so they probably don’t run into this problem. I feel for you though not having access to solder and such. You might be able to achieve similar results with tape and wire if you take your time and are carful. You can get a lot of small wires out of a standard Ethernet chord if you have an extra one of those around. Hope somebody else can chime in with a software level fix for you though.