Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Way to Set up Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 R7000P

So I'm reading a lot of stuff online and its making me really confused. I thought setting up this AC2300 was going to be as simple as plugging in the ethernet cable to my modem and logging into the router settings and voila all done.... apparently that's not the case.

 

So I have a Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100. Do I just need to plug the ethernet cable into the port labeled "internet" on the nighthawk, and the other end of the ethernet cable into the "WAN" port on the g1100? Then proceed with using the setup genie for the nighthawk?

 

I'm also confused because I'm reading now that I could use the nighthawk in either AP or bridge mode? Is one better than the other? My main concern is that I just want the nighthawk to be my primary router for the extended range benefits compared to verizon's g1100 since I'm not getting internet service on one side of my house with it. I've tried understanding the difference between AP and bridge mode and I can't seem to wrap my head around the concepts.

 

Can anyone provide me clear and concise directions for setting up this router? I'm starting to worry that I spent $150 for no apparent reason. I feel like I'm over contemplating things but I just want to ensure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

 

Thanks for the help!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So plug your new router wan's into the lan ports on the g1100(or the ont if you can directly). If you hae to connect the g1100 between them, put it in bridge mode, and leave your netgear router in the normal mode.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So plug your new router wan's into the lan ports on the g1100(or the ont if you can directly). If you hae to connect the g1100 between them, put it in bridge mode, and leave your netgear router in the normal mode.

So I think I was reading that I need to connect the nighthawk with the g1100 because the g1100 is connected to the OTN via coax. If so, should I follow the steps found on this website?  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Primary

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SheevaBlaster said:

So I think I was reading that I need to connect the nighthawk with the g1100 because the g1100 is connected to the OTN via coax. If so, should I follow the steps found on this website?  https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Primary

The g1100 shouldn't use coax to connect to the ONT, that should be over ethernet.

 

Yea setup bridge mode on the g1100 if you can't connect to the ont directly(try plugging the ont into the wan port on your router)

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The g1100 shouldn't use coax to connect to the ONT, that should be over ethernet.

 

Yea setup bridge mode on the g1100 if you can't connect to the ont directly(try plugging the ont into the wan port on your router)

What's the easiest way to tell whether my g1100 is connected to the ONT either by ethernet or coax? Because im sitting next to the g1100 right now and there's indeed a coax cable plugged into that port on the router.... as for ethernet cables, I have 3 plugged into the router.... one for my computer, one for my xbox, and the third is for a tv downstairs.

 

I'm sorry now I'm just ultra confused

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SheevaBlaster said:

What's the easiest way to tell whether my g1100 is connected to the ONT either by ethernet or coax? Because im sitting next to the g1100 right now and there's indeed a coax cable plugged into that port on the router.... as for ethernet cables, I have 3 plugged into the router.... one for my computer, one for my xbox, and the third is for a tv downstairs.

 

I'm sorry now I'm just ultra confused

the g1100 is connected to the ont via ethernet, they don't use coax for fios. The coax port is for Moca. But you can unplug it if you want.

 

plug all the ethernet devices into your netgear rotuer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

the g1100 is connected to the ont via ethernet, they don't use coax for fios. The coax port is for Moca. But you can unplug it if you want.

 

plug all the ethernet devices into your netgear rotuer.

So I unplugged the coax cable from the g1100 and I lost internet connection....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SheevaBlaster said:

So I unplugged the coax cable from the g1100 and I lost internet connection....

You probably have internet over the coax then.

 

Id probably try to use your own modem, but if you can't, setup the g1100 in bridge mode, and plug your routers wan port into the lan ports on the g1100

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×