My BIOS doesn't see my NVMe (500GB) and always boots into BIOS instead of Windows 10.

Zerban
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
5 minutes ago, Zerban said:

So...I built my first PC and stuff. Now whenever I boot my PC (Shut Down, then turn on) it always, always boots into the BIOS rather than Windows 10. I checked my BIOS to check if everything was showing up, etc. And found that my BIOS doesn't see my 500GB Western Digital NVMe M.2 SSD. Not sure if this is why my PC keeps booting into my BIOS but they are both issues I'd like to fix sooner or later...

Which mobo do you have?

Also, do this, remove the nVME M.2 card, then see if the issue persists. If it does, it's not the nVME card, if it doesn't, it *might* be defective.

So...I built my first PC and stuff. Now whenever I boot my PC (Shut Down, then turn on) it always, always boots into the BIOS rather than Windows 10. I checked my BIOS to check if everything was showing up, etc. And found that my BIOS doesn't see my 500GB Western Digital NVMe M.2 SSD. Not sure if this is why my PC keeps booting into my BIOS but they are both issues I'd like to fix sooner or later...

Which mobo do you have?

Also, do this, remove the nVME M.2 card, then see if the issue persists. If it does, it's not the nVME card, if it doesn't, it *might* be defective.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Zerban said:

Booting into bios is normal when there are no bootable devices.

First thing you need to check is your ssd model, is it sata or nvme (wd blue m2 can be both) and then if it is plugged into correct connector (check motherboard manual).

If everything is plugged in correctly the ssd might be broken...

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Which mobo do you have?

I have a MSI B550 PRO-VDH WiFi. I've already removed and reinstalled the NVMe. Windows 10 detects it though. It boots straight to the BIOS but when I leave BIOS it boots into Windows 10. Weird

2 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

Booting into bios is normal when there are no bootable devices.

First thing you need to check is your ssd model, is it sata or nvme (wd blue m2 can be both) and then if it is plugged into correct connector (check motherboard manual).

If everything is plugged in correctly the ssd might be broken...

It can't be broken. Windows 10 sees it.

14 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Which mobo do you have?

The issue is still happening

Have you checked to make sure the SSD has priority in the boot order list?

26 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Which mobo do you have?

I don't know why, but seeing NVMe written as nVME bugs me. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

12 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

Unfortunately, the NVMe doesn't show up in the BIOS. It's working though, because my PC recognizes it when I look at my files (after Windows 10 opens up and boots)

1 minute ago, Zerban said:

Unfortunately, the NVMe doesn't show up in the BIOS. It's working though, because my PC recognizes it when I look at my files (after Windows 10 opens up and boots)

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. I'm not sure then. Have you tried to update your BIOS?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, ProjectBox153 said:

Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. I'm not sure then. Have you tried to update your BIOS?

My bios is up to date. :///

The issue is still happening

What's your boot order look like?

3 minutes ago, pryinglynx_nerve said:

What's your boot order look like?

1. UEFI Hard Disk

2. UEFI CD

3. UEFI USB Hard Disk

(These are more but these are the top 3. And SSD doesn't appear so not an option.)

32 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:

non-Volatile Memory Express.

nVME. 🙂

20 minutes ago, Zerban said:

What I meant was remove it entirely, and see if the system boots normally

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

nVME. 🙂

What I meant was remove it entirely, and see if the system boots normally

WOW! It actually worked! Thanks a ton! Sooooooo much more convenient when your PC boots straight to windows! I guess I put it in wrong or something? 

Just now, Zerban said:

WOW! It actually worked! Thanks a ton! Sooooooo much more convenient when your PC boots straight to windows! I guess I put it in wrong or something? 

Hard to say, but glad it works

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

nVME. 🙂

Except that's the opposite of what it's supposed to be. Oh well.