Does my Mobo support NVME SSD's?

Hey Guys,

New user (and noob) here, I came across your really helpful site whilst researching my query and you knowledgeable people sound like you may be able to help! Thanks for having me. 

I find it confusing as to whether my motherboard supports NVME through SSD. The PCIe lanes are particularly confusing to me. The manual lists that the mobo has an M.2 slot and 1 PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot & 2 PCIe 2.0 x 1 slot. I thought M.2. slots had 4 PCIe lanes, so is the M.2 separate to those other PCIe slots or would an SSD using the M.2. have to interface with one of those slots too? If the latter, my desktop has no GPU so presumably it could use some of the 16 slot lanes?

Manual mentions it can support 20 G/S in PCIe mode. What I want to know is whether it can support those juicy >3000 mb/s read speeds of NVME or not (not that I really need it but as there's very little difference in price, I may as well if my system supports it). 

Here's the link to my mobo's manual. I've attached what I assume if the main page of information. Mobo is Asus H110M-A/M.2.

Thanks very much for taking time to read this and thanks in advance for anyone that may be able to help. 

Mobo Connections.jpg

seems like it does

m.2 socket storage devices both PCIE and SATA mode

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

20 gbps converts to exactly 2500 MBps. So no - you will not see speeds over 3000 MBps. Unless the text on the box is wrong and it supports higher speeds.

pcie x4 connection has a theorethical limit of 3940 MBps, which is just shy of 32 gbps. If the motherboard says 20 gbps, then it's probably not the full x4 connection speed.

32 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

20 gbps converts to exactly 2500 MBps. So no - you will not see speeds over 3000 MBps. Unless the text on the box is wrong and it supports higher speeds.

pcie x4 connection has a theorethical limit of 3940 MBps, which is just shy of 32 gbps. If the motherboard says 20 gbps, then it's probably not the full x4 connection speed.

Thanks guys. @Light-Yagami that's a very insightful answer. A few follow up questions:

If I put an NVME capable M.2. SSD in that was say c. 3000Mbps read, would you expect the speed just to cap out at 2500 based on the mobo's limitations? i.e. it shouldn't cause any issues with the SSD's capabilities being higher? 

One of my earlier questions - does the M.2. have it's own PCIe lanes or would the SSD need to borrow from the 3.0 x 16 slot? 

Thanks again. 

7 minutes ago, RapidDevil said:

Thanks guys. @Light-Yagami that's a very insightful answer. A few follow up questions:

If I put an NVME capable M.2. SSD in that was say c. 3000Mbps read, would you expect the speed just to cap out at 2500 based on the mobo's limitations? i.e. it shouldn't cause any issues with the SSD's capabilities being higher? 

One of my earlier questions - does the M.2. have it's own PCIe lanes or would the SSD need to borrow from the 3.0 x 16 slot? 

Thanks again. 

PCIe 16x slot at the top of the slot stack has dedicated lanes to the CPU. Storage lanes are also dedicated to the CPU and to not touch unless stated otherwise  (depends on the board)

As you might know, the vast majority of consumer CPUs support 20 PCIe lanes. 16 for the GPU, 4 for NVME storage. If MB supports more than 1 nvme slot, the bandwidth is often shared and halves if you were to occupy both slots at once.

You don't have to worry about bandwidth sharing, as long as the CPU has 20 available PCIe lanes.

I believe you should see speeds between 2200-2400 MBps (I don't believe in theoretical speeds, 2500MBps in this case). There should be no issues with the drive having more to give.

Thank you for the praise, you're too kind. I try to provide people with useful information and treat them as if they have competency of critical thinking themselves, instead of wasting server space with pointless comments that serve no purpose.

@Light-Yagami thanks again for the detailed reply, now I'm concerned it won't work very well.....

The CPU is very underpowered generally but serves it's purpose, it's a celeron G4600. Because it's good at single threading I've never needed to upgrade it, am I right in thinking it only supports 16 lanes? https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/97453/intel-pentium-processor-g4600-3m-cache-3-60-ghz.html

If so, what would this mean for the overall plan? 

I have no separate GPU, does that make a difference? (integrated graphics) or is that the reason it matters how many lanes the CPU supports in the first place? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, RapidDevil said:

Hey Guys,

New user (and noob) here, I came across your really helpful site whilst researching my query and you knowledgeable people sound like you may be able to help! Thanks for having me. 

I find it confusing as to whether my motherboard supports NVME through SSD. The PCIe lanes are particularly confusing to me. The manual lists that the mobo has an M.2 slot and 1 PCIe 3.0 x 16 slot & 2 PCIe 2.0 x 1 slot. I thought M.2. slots had 4 PCIe lanes, so is the M.2 separate to those other PCIe slots or would an SSD using the M.2. have to interface with one of those slots too? If the latter, my desktop has no GPU so presumably it could use some of the 16 slot lanes?

Manual mentions it can support 20 G/S in PCIe mode. What I want to know is whether it can support those juicy >3000 mb/s read speeds of NVME or not (not that I really need it but as there's very little difference in price, I may as well if my system supports it). 

Here's the link to my mobo's manual. I've attached what I assume if the main page of information. Mobo is Asus H110M-A/M.2.

Thanks very much for taking time to read this and thanks in advance for anyone that may be able to help. 

Mobo Connections.jpg

The NVMe M.2 slot is getting it's bandwidth from the H110 chipset.

Like all of the 100-series Intel motherboard chipsets, they were running at PCI-E 2.0, and not 3.0 or 4.0 like more modern boards.

You are capped at 20 Gb/s (= 2500 MB/s) because of the PCI-E 2.0 speed.

Correct, even if you get a PCI-E 4.0 NVMe drive that is capable of .... say 5000 MB/s, you are limited to 2500 MB/s.

28 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

PCIe 16x slot at the top of the slot stack has dedicated lanes to the CPU. Storage lanes are also dedicated to the CPU and to not touch unless stated otherwise  (depends on the board)

As you might know, the vast majority of consumer CPUs support 20 PCIe lanes. 16 for the GPU, 4 for NVME storage. If MB supports more than 1 nvme slot, the bandwidth is often shared and halves if you were to occupy both slots at once.

You don't have to worry about bandwidth sharing, as long as the CPU has 20 available PCIe lanes.

I believe you should see speeds between 2200-2400 MBps (I don't believe in theoretical speeds, 2500MBps in this case). There should be no issues with the drive having more to give.

Thank you for the praise, you're too kind. I try to provide people with useful information and treat them as if they have competency of critical thinking themselves, instead of wasting server space with pointless comments that serve no purpose.

The 20 lanes only applies to AMD CPUs / chipsets, where it is 16 lanes for GPU, and 4 for storage.

Intel is still limiting it's mainstream to 16 PCI-E lanes .... which is dedicated to the PCI-E X16 or X8 slots for GPUs.

Like for 8th / 9th Gen (or even 10th Gen) Intel for an example, the NVMe slots get their bandwidth from the Z390 / Z490 chipset, which provides the PCI-E 3.0 lanes.

image.png.a4776841c6e941ec034f1fd9d3529755.png

ASUS PRIME Z490-A

image.thumb.png.91ec78c1e35525564731ddb1a7530a0b.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

@-rascal-thanks for that, I'm relieved the 20 lanes is for AMD only! I think you were typing that as I was writing my previous post. 

So in summary, baring in mind I have integrated graphics and not a dedicated GPU (whether it makes a difference or not....?) do you think with my mobo and celeron g4600 CPU I'll be able to go with the M.2 NVME route and get around the 2500 read speeds? 

Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, RapidDevil said:

@-rascal-thanks for that, I'm relieved the 20 lanes is for AMD only! I think you were typing that as I was writing my previous post. 

So in summary, baring in mind I have integrated graphics and not a dedicated GPU (whether it makes a difference or not....?) do you think with my mobo and celeron g4600 CPU I'll be able to go with the M.2 NVME route and get around the 2500 read speeds? 

Thanks. 

G4600 with that motherboard is fine.

The CPU provides it's own PCIE 3.0 16 lanes to the top PCI-E 3.0 X16 slot, and doesn't play a role for the NVMe M.2 slot on the board.

Again, because the little H110 chip underneath the heatsink does that 😁

You are capped to approximately ~2500 MB/s, though.

image.png.92f8b509688570310f1aed20911abf29.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>