is there something better than B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

If you're looking for a cheaper board, then yes The Giga B450-I pro is ok. Not sure how it would do with a 5800X though. Probably scary lol.

I have a ROG B450-I Gaming. Top notch board, bought mine used in an OC forum I frequent. I use it with a lidless 2700X and it handles it flawlessly. Blue tooth and wifi built in, which most boards don't come with the BT, and nice RGB. I think NewEgg has them around 165$ For me it was a good investment, I OCed on it a bit on the bench (sub zero) and then put it in my HTPC case in the living room. Sweet with that built in blue tooth makes file transfer from phone super easy.

My GF build is kinda a mess right now. going to be doing some mods and painting to spice it up. but i think i'll do a side grade/upgrade to her motherboard. (needs to be mini or micro to fit in her 280x).

current specs

r5 1600

ASUS TUF B350M-PLUS GAMING

zotac mini 1070 (modded with 2x 120mm fans(OG fans died LULZ)

2x8 16gb ram

1x 512gb ssd

1x 256gb ssd

1x 1tb hdd

1x 2tb hdd

Looking to switch to something with

better stability

integrated wifi 

better integrated  BT over her dongle

rgb support for both 5v and 12v

cpu is not being upgraded right now, but want to make sure there is a decent upgrade path for the cpu.

currently looking at the

B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI

pros:

supports 1000,2000,3000, and 5000 series cpus ( yes i know it wont have many of the b550/x570 features for a 5000 series cpu, but they are needed for her use case.)

a/c wifi

BT 5.0

5v and 12 rgb headers

cons:

only 2 fan headers

less USB on the i/o

Weak vrm ( her most demanding task is probably gaming so i think i would be fine even if it had something like a r7 5800x in it.)

This board is only 110$ US on amazon while 50+$ else where i think it would be a decent choice

Thoughts and other recommendation..?

If you're looking for a cheaper board, then yes The Giga B450-I pro is ok. Not sure how it would do with a 5800X though. Probably scary lol.

I have a ROG B450-I Gaming. Top notch board, bought mine used in an OC forum I frequent. I use it with a lidless 2700X and it handles it flawlessly. Blue tooth and wifi built in, which most boards don't come with the BT, and nice RGB. I think NewEgg has them around 165$ For me it was a good investment, I OCed on it a bit on the bench (sub zero) and then put it in my HTPC case in the living room. Sweet with that built in blue tooth makes file transfer from phone super easy.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not sure how it would do with a 5800X though. Probably scary lol.

yea all the reviews i read showed a 5800x throttling because the vrms got to hot. however it was only in prime95 and her use case will never push nowhere that hard.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

your board does have a much stronger vrm, 1 additional fan/pump header, thermal sensor headers, but BT 4.2. where as the MB i'm looking at has BT 5. i will defiantly be considering it. 

thanks

p.s

I'm guessing OC.net. i use to be over there for while. I'm rarely active there since about the time they change website and had a bunch bugs with their UI.

7 hours ago, narrdarr said:

thanks

p.s

I'm guessing OC.net. i use to be over there for while. I'm rarely active there since about the time they change website and had a bunch bugs with their UI.

Welcome.

OCN. Is one of many places I've been. 

Warp9-systems is current team after ClassicPlatforms closed some years back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

After thinking about it. Your board recommendation was a very good one, but I went with the gigabyte b450 aorous I pro wifi.

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

After thinking about it. Your board recommendation was a very good one, but I went with the gigabyte b450 aorous I pro wifi.

I can only lead you to the door knob. I cannot make you turn it. 😉 

37 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I can only lead you to the door knob. I cannot make you turn it. 😉 

Yea just couldn't part with the BT 5.0.  Ive always had problems with dongles. As far as the workload she's not going to be able to push the vrm that hard so... Yea

10 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Yea just couldn't part with the BT 5.0.  Ive always had problems with dongles. As far as the workload she's not going to be able to push the vrm that hard so... Yea

I'm sure itll be fine. CPU sounds like major over kill for the board and her needs though XD

20 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm sure itll be fine. CPU sounds like major over kill for the board and her needs though XD

first gen ryzen ipc is kinda crap. so a r5 1600 is ok. i'll throw in a 5600x or 5800x in 2 to 3 year. it is overkill but if she decide to do more with it she'll have what she needs. after that it will gpu upgrades rtx 4000 or whatever and 4k displays. i need to figure out what to do with my b450 as i got it right before b450 max was released. so i only have a 16-bit cut down bios for my 3600. it a great mobo just no support for 5000 series. i could make a different thread, but do you know if msi will still do exchanges to max versions?

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

first gen ryzen ipc is kinda crap. so a r5 1600 is ok. i'll throw in a 5600x or 5800x in 2 to 3 year. it is overkill but if she decide to do more with it she'll have what she needs. after that it will gpu upgrades rtx 4000 or whatever and 4k displays. i need to figure out what to do with my b450 as i got it right before b450 max was released. so i only have a 16-bit cut down bios for my 3600. it a great mobo just no support for 5000 series. i could make a different thread, but do you know if msi will still do exchanges to max versions?

The Tomahawk non max supports 5000 series chips. Check the list again. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The Tomahawk non max supports 5000 series chips. Check the list again. 

i have a msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac. but after checking again it looks like they release a bios last month to support 5000 series. Sweet.

Just now, narrdarr said:

i have a msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac. but after checking again it looks like they release a bios last month to support 5000 series. Sweet.

I wondered the same about my cheapy B450M-A. It also supports Ryzen 5000 series chips. And it will probably never see one lol.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I wondered the same about my cheapy B450M-A. It also supports Ryzen 5000 series chips. And it will probably never see one lol.

i think after a 2-3 years with a price drop throwing in a 5000 series chip will be very appealing. even tho its only gain would be with the ipc. the only way i don't, is if the next gen motherboard supports a bunch of generations of cpus. Or.... if future gpu's actually require pcie 4 to get its full potential.