Ryzen 7-2700X Good Budget Workstation CPU?

This is going to be more concise then my other posts 😅:

Ignoring the fact that the 2700X is can only utilise a 400-series chipset and thus limits the upgrade to 3rd-Gen Ryzen in the future, is the aforementioned Ryzen CPU good for a very budget oriented 3D Animation workstation with occasional gaming on the side?

NEW Octane - AMD Ryzen 7-3700X, 32GB DDR4, GeForce RTX 3060, 1TB WD Black NVMe SSD (Fedora Linux), 120GB Kingston V300 SSD (Windows)

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

4 minutes ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

3D Animation workstation

That sort of depends.

If you are building a workstation, I'd look into what the main software platforms you are going to use, have an affinity for (cores, threads or speed) and build for that

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That sort of depends.

If you are building a workstation, I'd look into what the main software platforms you are going to use, have an affinity for (cores, threads or speed) and build for that

That's easy as it's going to be identical to what I'm using now: Under Fedora Linux I'll be using software such as Blender (might upgrade to 2.91 over the 2.83 I'm stuck with), Substance Painter 2019, KDENLive for video editing, Natron 2.15 for compositing. The renderer will depend on the nature of the project, but more times then not it'll probably be EEVEE.

Usually render times is improved with more cores tackling the problem, but that may also be down to the GPU as well...

Edited by Matthew Musselwhite
Missing in the information.

NEW Octane - AMD Ryzen 7-3700X, 32GB DDR4, GeForce RTX 3060, 1TB WD Black NVMe SSD (Fedora Linux), 120GB Kingston V300 SSD (Windows)

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

1 minute ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

That's easy as it's going to be identical to what I'm using now: Under Fedora Linux I'll be using software such as Blender (might upgrade to 2.91 over the 2.83 I'm stuck with), Substance Painter 2019, KDENLive for video editing, Natron 2.15 for compositing. The renderer will depend on the nature of the project, but more times then not it'll probably be EEVEE.

Then if you know what software you will be using, then you will know the specs for them, and if the Ryzen is a good fit, then go for it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then if you know what software you will be using, then you will know the specs for them, and if the Ryzen is a good fit, then go for it.

My question isn't whether Ryzen is a good fit, as I've seen it perform considerably better then my old i7-4790K build straight from the 1st-Gen revision. But rather the 2700X specifically is something I should be considering under a tight budget, or if I should just "suck it up" and save up an additional £300-£400 for a 5th/3rd-Gen Ryzen build... 😅

Just now, Matthew Musselwhite said:

My question isn't whether Ryzen is a good fit, as I've seen it perform considerably better then my old i7-4790K build straight from the 1st-Gen revision. But rather the 2700X specifically is something I should be considering under a tight budget, or if I should just "suck it up" and save up an additional £300-£400 for a 5th/3rd-Gen Ryzen build... 😅

Ah, how long do you wish to use this system? The upgrade path will be limited yes? 

In other words, if you are going to be doing this in a professional manner, then I'd be looking at a better upgrade path and go for that 3rd gen build. If it's just a fun hobby, then 8 core/16 thread is nothing to sneeze at

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Ah, how long do you wish to use this system? The upgrade path will be limited yes? 

In other words, if you are going to be doing this in a professional manner, then I'd be looking at a better upgrade path and go for that 3rd gen build. If it's just a fun hobby, then 8 core/16 thread is nothing to sneeze at

More of a hobby, and I would ideally like this to last 6 years before I need a new build (as that is how old my current workstation is). Hence why I'm so "on the fence" about this.

Just now, Matthew Musselwhite said:

More of a hobby, and I would ideally like this to last 6 years before I need a new build (as that is how old my current workstation is). Hence why I'm so "on the fence" about this.

6 years is a long time for a platform with limited expansion. I can see the dilemma you are facing. 

How much (if anything) are you carrying over from your prior build? 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

6 years is a long time for a platform with limited expansion. I can see the dilemma you are facing. 

How much (if anything) are you carrying over from your prior build? 

Nothing really, it's going be straight new build with 3200MHz DDR4, a more beefier PSU is needed for expansion on that front and maybe a RTX 3060 Ti if I play my cards right when I get the funds to do so... 😅

Partly is due to some plans I have for this old machine when space allows, but also it is a nice "fallback" option if the computer dies within a few weeks...

1 minute ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

RTX 3060 Ti

Ah, well then, unless you have a line on one now, I'd say save as much up as you can, and revisit the budget (and CPU options) when you get the GFX card.

51 minutes ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

This is going to be more concise then my other posts 😅:

Ignoring the fact that the 2700X is can only utilise a 400-series chipset and thus limits the upgrade to 3rd-Gen Ryzen in the future, is the aforementioned Ryzen CPU good for a very budget oriented 3D Animation workstation with occasional gaming on the side?

Zen+ is supported on X570 (but not on B550).

It is a very solid CPU.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!