Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is going to be more concise then my other posts 馃槄:

Ignoring the fact that the 2700X is can only utilise聽a 400-series chipset and thus limits the upgrade to 3rd-Gen Ryzen in the future, is the aforementioned Ryzen CPU good for a very budget oriented 3D Animation workstation with occasional gaming on the side?

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

3D Animation workstation

That sort of depends.

If you are building a workstation, I'd look into what the main software platforms you are going to use, have an affinity for (cores, threads or speed) and build for that

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That sort of depends.

If you are building a workstation, I'd look into what the main software platforms you are going to use, have an affinity for (cores, threads or speed) and build for that

That's easy as it's going to be identical to what I'm using now: Under Fedora Linux I'll be using software such as Blender (might upgrade to 2.91 over the 2.83 I'm stuck with), Substance Painter 2019, KDENLive for video editing, Natron 2.15 for compositing. The renderer will depend on the nature of the project, but more times then not it'll probably be EEVEE.

Usually render times is improved with more cores tackling the problem, but that may also be down to the GPU as well...

Edited by Matthew Musselwhite
Missing in the information.

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

That's easy as it's going to be identical to what I'm using now: Under Fedora Linux I'll be using software such as Blender (might upgrade to 2.91 over the 2.83 I'm stuck with), Substance Painter 2019, KDENLive for video editing, Natron 2.15 for compositing. The renderer will depend on the nature of the project, but more times then not it'll probably be EEVEE.

Then if you know what software you will be using, then you will know the specs for them, and if the Ryzen is a good fit, then go for it.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then if you know what software you will be using, then you will know the specs for them, and if the Ryzen is a good fit, then go for it.

My question isn't whether Ryzen is a good fit, as I've seen it perform considerably聽better then my old i7-4790K build straight from the 1st-Gen revision.聽But rather the 2700X specifically is something I should be considering under a tight聽budget, or if I should just "suck it up" and save up an additional 拢300-拢400 for a 5th/3rd-Gen Ryzen build...聽馃槄

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matthew Musselwhite said:

My question isn't whether Ryzen is a good fit, as I've seen it perform considerably聽better then my old i7-4790K build straight from the 1st-Gen revision.聽But rather the 2700X specifically is something I should be considering under a tight聽budget, or if I should just "suck it up" and save up an additional 拢300-拢400 for a 5th/3rd-Gen Ryzen build...聽馃槄

Ah, how long do you wish to use this system? The upgrade path will be limited yes?聽

In other words, if you are going to be doing this in a professional manner, then I'd be looking at a better upgrade path and go for that 3rd gen build. If it's just a fun hobby, then 8 core/16 thread is nothing to sneeze at

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Ah, how long do you wish to use this system? The upgrade path will be limited yes?聽

In other words, if you are going to be doing this in a professional manner, then I'd be looking at a better upgrade path and go for that 3rd gen build. If it's just a fun hobby, then 8 core/16 thread is nothing to sneeze at

More of a hobby, and I would ideally like this to last 6 years before I need a new build (as that is how old my current workstation is). Hence why I'm so "on the fence" about this.

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Matthew Musselwhite said:

More of a hobby, and I would ideally like this to last 6 years before I need a new build (as that is how old my current workstation is). Hence why I'm so "on the fence" about this.

6 years is a long time for a platform with limited expansion. I can see the dilemma you are facing.聽

How much (if anything) are you carrying over from your prior build?聽

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Radium_Angel said:

6 years is a long time for a platform with limited expansion. I can see the dilemma you are facing.聽

How much (if anything) are you carrying over from your prior build?聽

Nothing really, it's going be straight new build with 3200MHz DDR4, a more beefier PSU is needed for expansion on that front and maybe a RTX 3060 Ti if I play my cards right when I get the funds to do so...聽馃槄

Partly is due to some plans I have for this old machine when space allows, but also it is a nice "fallback" option if the computer dies within a few weeks...

Hackintosh VW - Intel Core i7-4790k, 8GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 970, 480GB Sandisk SSD (macOS), 240GB Kingston A400 SSD (Windows)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

RTX 3060 Ti

Ah, well then, unless you have a line on one now, I'd say save as much up as you can, and revisit the budget (and CPU options) when you get the GFX card.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Matthew Musselwhite said:

This is going to be more concise then my other posts 馃槄:

Ignoring the fact that the 2700X is can only utilise聽a 400-series chipset and thus limits the upgrade to 3rd-Gen Ryzen in the future, is the aforementioned Ryzen CPU good for a very budget oriented 3D Animation workstation with occasional gaming on the side?

Zen+ is supported on X570 (but not on B550).

It is a very solid CPU.

Use the quote聽function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now