A few questions about my first build

Matt04

Budget (including currency): Max. €1.500 (keyboard + mouse excluded)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: MS Flight Sim 2020 (high/ultra settings); Farming Sim 2019; War Thunder; Minecraft

Other details

I already made a part list (only still need PSU), but since this is my first build I'm not sure about a couple things:

• Is the CPU cooler able too cool my processor good enough? (I'm not planning on overclocking)
  • I'm not sure if the CPU cooler fits in the case (since I have microATX size)
  • Is the CPU cooler blocking the RGB 2x8GB RAM sticks or does it fit correctly?
  • Is the motherboard ok for this build and do all parts i chose fit in there? If not, can you suggest a new mobo?
  • Since the Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti GPU's are currently all out of stock, is it ok if I just buy the rest of the parts already and use the PC for small tasks until I get hold of one?
  • In general, are case, mobo, GPU and CPU cooler all compatible?

All help is appreciated, thank you!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€339.90 @ Azerty) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€81.94 @ Azerty) 
Motherboard: MSI H410M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€103.95 @ Megekko) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€77.95 @ Megekko) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card  (€400.00) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB311L ARGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (€81.95 @ Azerty) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (€119.99 @ NoRRoD.nl) 
Custom: Samsung C24T550FDU (€149.00)
Total: €1354.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-21 20:50 CET+0100

Welcome to the forums!!!

2 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

Is the CPU cooler able too cool my processor good enough? (I'm not planning on overclocking)

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is an excellent air cooler. Its one of two high end air coolers out there (other being Noctua NH-D15). 

4 minutes ago, Matt04 said:
  • I'm not sure if the CPU cooler fits in the case (since I have microATX size)
  • Is the CPU cooler blocking the RGB 2x8GB RAM sticks or does it fit correctly?

This is a combo question really, The max CPU clearance for the case is 166mm. The DRP4 is 162.8mm. That RAM sticks out a bit, but I'd play it safe and go with LPX modules from Corsair or low profile RAM. 

6 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

Is the motherboard ok for this build and do all parts i chose fit in there? If not, can you suggest a new mobo?

That motherboard is an H410 chipset. With an unlocked 10700K, Intel wants you to use a Z490 board for any overclocking potential. If you choose to keep this board, just buy a 10700 locked processor but I'd personally would go with a Z490 mATX motherboard. 

7 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

Since the Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti GPU's are currently all out of stock, is it ok if I just buy the rest of the parts already and use the PC for small tasks until I get hold of one?

The 10700K has an iGPU so it will get you by but don't expect to game with it, unless you lower the resolution and graphical settings and it may be achievable until you get ahold of a 3060 Ti. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Do not pair a h410with a 10700k! At minimum, get a b460 board. If you are not over clocking, you don’t need a z490 motherboard, but if you want to run your RAM at 3200 MHz you will need z490.

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

2 minutes ago, thepoorgamer said:

Do not pair a h410with a 10700k! At minimum, get a b460 board. If you are not over clocking, you don’t need a z490 motherboard, but if you want to run your RAM at 3200 MHz you will need z490.

Ps also you won’t be able to play fs2020 on uhd 630 graphics. With a 1500 budget you might want to aim for a 3070 instead of a 3060ti.

My primary system: Core I7 10700k, 32 gb Trident Z RGB ram@3200mhz, EVGA GTX 970 SSC (will upgrade), NZXT N7 Z490 motherboard (Black), Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB SSD, NZXT C850 PSU, Hyper 212 EVO cooler (getting new water cooler soon), NZXT H510i case. 

My secondary system: Core I7 4820k, 16 gb quad channel 1600mhz ram, GTX 780 reference, Asus PX79LE, SK Hynix GOLD s31 500gb SSD, some 10 yr old Cooler Master 750w psu, Hyper 212, old Cooler Master case.

Laptop: Lenovo l380 yoga I5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd storage)

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is an excellent air cooler. Its one of two high end air coolers out there (other being Noctua NH-D15). 

This is a combo question really, The max CPU clearance for the case is 166mm. The DRP4 is 162.8mm. That RAM sticks out a bit, but I'd play it safe and go with LPX modules from Corsair or low profile RAM. 

That motherboard is an H410 chipset. With an unlocked 10700K, Intel wants you to use a Z490 board for any overclocking potential. If you choose to keep this board, just buy a 10700 locked processor but I'd personally would go with a Z490 mATX motherboard. 

The 10700K has an iGPU so it will get you by but don't expect to game with it, unless you lower the resolution and graphical settings and it may be achievable until you get ahold of a 3060 Ti. 

Great thanks for the quick reply! Things are much more clear now. I've tweaked my list a little bit (changed out the motherboard for a Gigabyte Z490M Micro ATX LGA1200 & changed RAM to Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 (complete updated list: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/TpFmRT).

Please let me know if these changes are correct or maybe what I could improve if you want.

The only thing that concerns me now are these notes that pcpartpicker showed:

image.thumb.png.310b8be07e9b167f7986e002cbc1f20d.png

I don't know exactly what it means and what I could do about it. If you (or anyone else) could help me out, it would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, thepoorgamer said:

Ps also you won’t be able to play fs2020 on uhd 630 graphics. With a 1500 budget you might want to aim for a 3070 instead of a 3060ti.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm indeed not planning to play games on it without dedicated GPU. I just wanted to know if I could do stuff like install OS, drivers etc. without having to wait for the GPU to be in stock again. But I'm probably not gonna do it.

12 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

Great thanks for the quick reply! Things are much more clear now. I've tweaked my list a little bit (changed out the motherboard for a Gigabyte Z490M Micro ATX LGA1200 & changed RAM to Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 (complete updated list: https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/TpFmRT).

Please let me know if these changes are correct or maybe what I could improve if you want.

The only thing that concerns me now are these notes that pcpartpicker showed:

image.thumb.png.310b8be07e9b167f7986e002cbc1f20d.png

I don't know exactly what it means and what I could do about it. If you (or anyone else) could help me out, it would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!

That's looking like a pretty decent system.

For the M.2 Slot#1, you shouldn't worry about it as it was added on the motherboard just in case newer processors support more PCIe lanes. Rocket Lake processors (11th gen Core) will carry 20 PCIe lanes. 

For the M.2 Slot#2, what this is referring to the PCIe lanes set by the chipset on the motherboard will allocate some bandwidth in the chipset that is normally with the SATA 3 ports on the motherboard. This means that one SATA port is disabled as it can not work with a PCIe card, in this case, your SSD. 

EDIT: Also, I'd want to see more power phases on that motherboard just because you are running a high end processor that needs good power delivery. How about a ASRock Z490M Pro4 or a Asus PRIME Z490M-PLUS

image.png.973d7dc8ccd4017d3904ded9a6cd301f.png

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

That's looking like a pretty decent system.

For the M.2 Slot#1, you shouldn't worry about it as it was added on the motherboard just in case newer processors support more PCIe lanes. Rocket Lake processors (11th gen Core) will carry 20 PCIe lanes. 

For the M.2 Slot#2, what this is referring to the PCIe lanes set by the chipset on the motherboard will allocate some bandwidth in the chipset that is normally with the SATA 3 ports on the motherboard. This means that one SATA port is disabled as it can not work with a PCIe card, in this case, your SSD. image.png.973d7dc8ccd4017d3904ded9a6cd301f.png

Ah alright, thanks! So when I put my M.2 SSD in the second slot, the SSD itself works, but the SATA port is disabled. One more question (sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a real newbie) : What's the difference between SATA SSD and PCIe SSD? As far as I can tell, a SATA SSD is connected to the motherboard with a cable, and a PCIe SSD is connected directly into the motherboard (see picture below). I could be completely wrong though..

How to Install an NVMe M.2 SSD Hard Drive and Why You Should

6 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

What's the difference between SATA SSD and PCIe SSD? As far as I can tell, a SATA SSD is connected to the motherboard with a cable, and a PCIe SSD is connected directly into the motherboard (see picture below). I could be completely wrong though..

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

Ah alright, thanks! So when I put my M.2 SSD in the second slot, the SSD itself works, but the SATA port is disabled. One more question (sorry for the dumb questions, I'm a real newbie) : What's the difference between SATA SSD and PCIe SSD? As far as I can tell, a SATA SSD is connected to the motherboard with a cable, and a PCIe SSD is connected directly into the motherboard (see picture below). I could be completely wrong though..

No worries, a SATA SSD is usually a 2.5" SSD that uses the SATA interface, with a SATA power cable from the power supply and SATA data cable going to the motherboard. It's an older interface that has been around for a long time and most modern motherboards today use SATA III, for third generation, with speeds capable of 6Gb/s. PCIe SSDs are small SSDs that use the PCIe interface that you have a connector on the motherboard that is usually flat and runs parallel with the width of the board. 

11 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

No worries, a SATA SSD is usually a 2.5" SSD that uses the SATA interface, with a SATA power cable from the power supply and SATA data cable going to the motherboard. It's an older interface that has been around for a long time and most modern motherboards today use SATA III, for third generation, with speeds capable of 6Gb/s. PCIe SSDs are small SSDs that use the PCIe interface that you have a connector on the motherboard that is usually flat and runs parallel with the width of the board. 

Alright, now I get it. I'm still a little bit confused about the blocking of the SATA port when I insert the SSD, though. What do you normally use that port for, and is it okay if it's blocked?

EDIT: I changed my motherboard to an Asus PRIME Z490M-PLUS. The notes disappeared now.

4 hours ago, Matt04 said:

Alright, now I get it. I'm still a little bit confused about the blocking of the SATA port when I insert the SSD, though. What do you normally use that port for, and is it okay if it's blocked?

EDIT: I changed my motherboard to an Asus PRIME Z490M-PLUS. The notes disappeared now.

You normally use that SATA port for a DVD/CD/Blu-Ray drive, or a 2.5/3.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD. Its ok for it to be blocked when you occupy a M.2 PCIe slot and a majority of the motherboards that you find will have this, mine included.

After all that, it looks like a decent system. If you want to get more storage, you can always get a 1TB HDD in combination with your 500GB SSD, or just get a 1TB SSD. That is all up to you and I don't know if you have a lot of games you'd want on your PC or even other software/programs. 

43 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

You normally use that SATA port for a DVD/CD/Blu-Ray drive, or a 2.5/3.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD. Its ok for it to be blocked when you occupy a M.2 PCIe slot and a majority of the motherboards that you find will have this, mine included.

After all that, it looks like a decent system. If you want to get more storage, you can always get a 1TB HDD in combination with your 500GB SSD, or just get a 1TB SSD. That is all up to you and I don't know if you have a lot of games you'd want on your PC or even other software/programs. 

Thanks for explaining! I'm indeed considering to get a 1 TB HDD for other files I don't touch that often (like photos and such).

For now, thank you for the great advice! Even though English isn't my native language (I'm Dutch), I understood all of it.

47 minutes ago, Matt04 said:

Thanks for explaining! I'm indeed considering to get a 1 TB HDD for other files I don't touch that often (like photos and such).

For now, thank you for the great advice! Even though English isn't my native language (I'm Dutch), I understood all of it.

Anytime!!!