Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Connect firewire 400 to macbook pro thunderbolt 3?

I am looking to upgrade my studio mac to the 16 inch macbook pro but, my interface is firewire 400. I did some research and someone laid out a way to do it using 3 different adapters totaling $80. Now being that video is a couple years old, is there a more sufficient way for the same price or cheaper?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trentklein said:

I am looking to upgrade my studio mac to the 16 inch macbook pro but, my interface is firewire 400. I did some research and someone laid out a way to do it using 3 different adapters totaling $80. Now being that video is a couple years old, is there a more sufficient way for the same price or cheaper?

What are you using that still needs FW400?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

What are you using that still needs FW400?

A Focusrite Pro 24

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trentklein said:

I thought so? lol but the video/write up I found says you need: 

  1. An Apple Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adaptor

  2. Apple Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter

  3. Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 USB-C adaptor

That looks like a sure-fire way to have connection issues.

Personally, I'd ask in a dedicated mac forum (or your sounds device thingy forum) as I'm sure you'll get way more knowledgeable people about such things. We have a few Mac guys here, but Mac audiophile/professionals...that might be a trick. I can't recall the main mac guy here, the big fellow with the long hair in the LTT videos, I think he's the resident mac expert, you could try dropping him a line and see what he has to say.

 

Perhaps apple (or someone) makes an external dongle that will do the conversion for you? That way you only need 1 piece of kit, rather than potentially 3.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That looks like a sure-fire way to have connection issues.

Personally, I'd ask in a dedicated mac forum (or your sounds device thingy forum) as I'm sure you'll get way more knowledgeable people about such things. We have a few Mac guys here, but Mac audiophile/professionals...that might be a trick. I can't recall the main mac guy here, the big fellow with the long hair in the LTT videos, I think he's the resident mac expert, you could try dropping him a line and see what he has to say.

 

Perhaps apple (or someone) makes an external dongle that will do the conversion for you? That way you only need 1 piece of kit, rather than potentially 3.

Definitely agree with you on that, thats why I was hesitant haha. Thank you! I may just contact apple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trentklein said:

Definitely agree with you on that, thats why I was hesitant haha. Thank you! I may just contact apple.

Yeah, let us know how it plays out, useful info perhaps for the next guy that needs this

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple years old....

 

Unless you're referring to another video, that is only 9 months old and worked using the same dongle chain although you can cut down the number of dongles by one if you can find a firewire 400 to 800 cable as there would be no compatibility issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×