Security Camera for DIY Security Camera System (DIY WiFi Security Camera Guide)

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

You can buy the indivual IP cames on their own, ive done this a few time, and it works fine. Then just put a IP camera dvr on a computer, like zoneminder, blueiris and others andyour good to go.

I really liked the idea of the DIY security system in the LTT video (Nest Cams are a BIG RIPOFF - DIY WiFi Security Camera Guide). I am a huge fan of the idea of getting rid of a monthly fee and keeping my security footage secure. I want to do something similar to the video, using a dedicated system with HDD's in a raid array to store the footage and run an open source security software. However I don't want to create my own cameras using Raspberry PI's and 3D printed housing. I would like to get some cameras that I can use outdoors. Just from the research I have done it looks like I would need IP cameras so I can transfer the footage to my NAS over my network. However everything I find seems to already come with a central box that comes with the cameras. Would it just be smarter to find a set of camera's that can transfer footage to my storage server and use the software that comes with the unit or would trying to buy the cameras separately be a cheaper and better approach? If anyone could suggest products for either approach please let me know. 

1 hour ago, LamboLimo said:

I really liked the idea of the DIY security system in the LTT video (Nest Cams are a BIG RIPOFF - DIY WiFi Security Camera Guide). I am a huge fan of the idea of getting rid of a monthly fee and keeping my security footage secure. I want to do something similar to the video, using a dedicated system with HDD's in a raid array to store the footage and run an open source security software. However I don't want to create my own cameras using Raspberry PI's and 3D printed housing. I would like to get some cameras that I can use outdoors. Just from the research I have done it looks like I would need IP cameras so I can transfer the footage to my NAS over my network. However everything I find seems to already come with a central box that comes with the cameras. Would it just be smarter to find a set of camera's that can transfer footage to my storage server and use the software that comes with the unit or would trying to buy the cameras separately be a cheaper and better approach? If anyone could suggest products for either approach please let me know. 

I believe the best solution for DIY are Raspberry PI's. The are also dummy cameras that people get just to scare people off. You can use those as a casing for your PI's

You can buy the indivual IP cames on their own, ive done this a few time, and it works fine. Then just put a IP camera dvr on a computer, like zoneminder, blueiris and others andyour good to go.