Fans spin momentarily then nothing

-HYP3RION-

Hi y’all, I just recently(a few days ago) built a new PC and have a had a series of problems I have been mostly able to resolve myself, and I thought by last night I had fixed them all. The PC was working great last night, and this is the first time this problem has occurred. When I got up this morning to do online school, it wouldn’t boot (I have a laptop so I’m still in class at the time of writing). The fans spin for about half a second with no lights and I hear two clicks from my power supply, but no boot. The motherboard seems to be receiving 5V power because the RGB on the ram sticks lights up, but really nothing else. The power supply was used in another computer, and is the only non brand new component, so I think it may be that, however I’m unsure due to it delivering some power to the motherboard. Since I can see obvious responses from both the mobo and the psu in at least one way, that makes me unsure as to what the problem is. I’ll have to wait until after classes to try and fix anything, but suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Update from a little while after I typed the original part: I let the PC sit for a while and it was able to boot all the way into windows before shutting itself off and having the same problem on trying again. This really stumped me and now I have no clue what to think.

Specs:
Ryzen 5800x
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3070
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4-3600
Corsair AXi 1200w (from my brother’s previous system)

50 minutes ago, -HYP3RION- said:

Hi y’all, I just recently(a few days ago) built a new PC and have a had a series of problems I have been mostly able to resolve myself, and I thought by last night I had fixed them all. The PC was working great last night, and this is the first time this problem has occurred. When I got up this morning to do online school, it wouldn’t boot (I have a laptop so I’m still in class at the time of writing). The fans spin for about half a second with no lights and I hear two clicks from my power supply, but no boot. The motherboard seems to be receiving 5V power because the RGB on the ram sticks lights up, but really nothing else. The power supply was used in another computer, and is the only non brand new component, so I think it may be that, however I’m unsure due to it delivering some power to the motherboard. Since I can see obvious responses from both the mobo and the psu in at least one way, that makes me unsure as to what the problem is. I’ll have to wait until after classes to try and fix anything, but suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Update from a little while after I typed the original part: I let the PC sit for a while and it was able to boot all the way into windows before shutting itself off and having the same problem on trying again. This really stumped me and now I have no clue what to think.

Specs:
Ryzen 5800x
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3070
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4-3600
Corsair AXi 1200w (from my brother’s previous system)

I had a similar issure with a similar PSU.

The *edit* resting (not resetting) of the PSU may resettet the overcurrent protection --> it worked again
As soon as the Overcurrent protection got triggered again it turned off again. ( i assume it just turned off, right?)

The clicking is from trying to turn on. It want's to start but gets shut down at the same moment (that why your fans spin for a short time)

I suggest first to check if you have any short circuts (mainboard touching something it shouldn't, some cable, or clibs which are conducitv maybe touching some stuff on the back of the mainboard etc.). It should all be isolated well, but you never know.

the PSU can also allready be broken. Mine (which killed itself and took a cpu along) it behaved like yours. It gave some Power, but couldn't turn on the pc. But i think that, pretty rare and it was DOA, so i would first check for any short circuts, espacially cause the PSU worked in a different system