RX 580 won't switch to compute mode

Hi everyone, i'm trying to switch my rx 580 to compute mode (for f@h and some mining tests) but it simply won't switch. I change it, the driver restart and it simply stay in "Graphics". The driver are up to date (20.11.2), and i'm on windows 10. What can i try? Thanks in advance.

If you open a mining program like phoenix miner and use the -acm in the line will enable AMD compute mode. I dont know of any way to change the mode for things like F@H

I tried it on phoenixminer, i put:

PhoenixMiner.exe -pool eu1.ethermine.org:4444 -wal *mywallet* -worker pc -epsw x -mode 1 -coin eth -acm

but it doesn't seems to work, i'm getting 9/9.5 MH/s at 1411/2200 (core/mem) when i should get something around 30 MH/s. It's an 8 GB card so no problem with the dag size.

23 hours ago, Critaek said:

I tried it on phoenixminer, i put:

PhoenixMiner.exe -pool eu1.ethermine.org:4444 -wal *mywallet* -worker pc -epsw x -mode 1 -coin eth -acm

but it doesn't seems to work, i'm getting 9/9.5 MH/s at 1411/2200 (core/mem) when i should get something around 30 MH/s. It's an 8 GB card so no problem with the dag size.

when you open phoenix miner the box should open with all kinds of info. usually when you first enable compute mode it says "compute mode will be enabled after a reboot". or if there is any errors they will pop up in the first few moments of it being opened. if you could please take a few screenshots of the miner as it boots up and post it here so i can see if there is anything odd.

Cattura.PNG.0faa9b1ae2c7ea9d891e348b59fe2247.PNG

I hope this is good enogh, tried to switch to compute mode while mining as well, but nothing, it restart and stays on Graphics, tried a tool i found on another forum that claims to switch all the gpu's (1 in my case) to compute but nothing happened. While searching on the internet i didn't really find anything. Something strange is happening, it should be a simple and easy thing. Thanks!

PS: Tried to stop the autotuning clicking g, nothing happens, still the same hash/s, i'll try letting him go. (edit: still the same)

damn 6 pools you got some serious backups listed on there most people run with 2 pools.

the auto tune is fine it's better to let it do it that way after the newest epoch.

odd there is no errors or anything.

can you show your config file? If you don't want to share your address you can redact that but with no errors popping up there has to be something wrong with your config.

also you have a very new driver 20.11.2 that is not listed as a good driver. good drivers are 18.12.1.1 through 19.7.5 and 19.12.2 through 20.8.1 so also try and do a DDU then install one of these listed drivers. you're gonna have to find them on google as AMD doesn't always list older drivers for download.

Ok, in the ethermine file i have these options:

PhoenixMiner.exe -pool eu1.ethermine.org:4444 -wal **mywallet** -worker pc -epsw x -mode 1 -coin eth -acm

In the eppols.txt file (first time opening it, so it is as i downloaded it), this is the config:

#
# PhoenixMiner ethash pools list (you MUST rename this files to epools.txt in order to use it)
#
# The pools specified in this file will be added to the pools specified with the PhoenixMiner's
# command-line options (see -pool and -pool2 command line options).
#
# Alternatively, you can omit the -pool option on the command-line and use only the pools in
# epools.txt file. This will give you the ability to specify more than two pools, and to change
# the pools without restarting the miner by using the 'r' key in the PhoenixMiner console to
# reload the epools.txt file.
#
# You must put one pool per line as specified in the examples below
# If the line starts with '#' it will be ignored as comment
#
# NOTE: PhoenixMiner also "understands" the epools.txt files from Claymore's dual Ethereum miner
#
# IMPORTANT: Replace the ETH address with your own ETH wallet address in the WAL: option (Rig001 is the name of the rig)
#

# These are examples for ETC pools

POOL: eu1-etc.ethermine.org:4444, WAL: 0x73066e0D58bccBA84f7A8045507903afB6F2a7eC.Rig001, COIN: etc
POOL: eu1-etc.ethermine.org:4444, WAL: 0x73066e0D58bccBA84f7A8045507903afB6F2a7eC.Rig001, COIN: etc
POOL: eu.emcd.io:7878, WALLET: gpf.worker, PSW: x, ESM: 0, ALLPOOLS: 0
POOL: eu.emcd.io:7878, WALLET: gpf.worker, PSW: x, ESM: 2, ALLPOOLS: 0
POOL: etc-eu1.nanopool.org:19999, WAL: 0x73066e0D58bccBA84f7A8045507903afB6F2a7eC.Rig001, COIN: etc

# The following line shows all possible pool options. The values for each option must follow the
# same rules as these specified in the Readme.txt file for the -pool, -wal, -pass, -worker,
# -proto, -coin, and -stales command-line options

As i stated before this is as i downloaded it, what should i change? Btw for the driver part, i think something is wrong in my pc, i switched to windows 10 just a year or so ago for the compute mode (for f@h) but it never worked, tried some different driver versions, in the end i just installed the newest one and didn't really care. Now i just want to do some mining test, thanks a lot for the effort! Tell me if you need some more info.

Here is my config file below. Try and copy that just change to your address.

Make the whole damn thing look like that because your file is hot garbage 🤷‍♂️🤣

P_20210128_144011.thumb.jpg.5b9796599b7531b1ee0d6c1c79123a54.jpg

Oh i'm sorry that was the epools.txt file, i changed the configs but nothing works, it's like the gpu decided to stay in graphics mode no matter what 🤣

I think i mught just continue to fold and play games, thanks a lot by the way!

18 hours ago, Critaek said:

Oh i'm sorry that was the epools.txt file, i changed the configs but nothing works, it's like the gpu decided to stay in graphics mode no matter what 🤣

I think i mught just continue to fold and play games, thanks a lot by the way!

You have what is called an EBCAK problem, its the only logical explanation

What file are you opening to start the miner? because in your screenshot you show CMD.EXE when it should say Phoenix Miner.exe i have shown in this pic what i'm talking about so you see.

This is what your config file should look like

#
# PhoenixMiner configuration file
#
# If there are no command-line parameters when PhoenixMiner is started, it will search
# for config.txt file in the current directory and will read all command-line options from it
#
# You can put one or more command-line parameters on each line (separate them with spaces)
# If the line starts with '#' it will be ignored as comment
#
# NOTE. PhoenixMiner also "understands" the config.txt files of Claymore's dual Ethereum miner
# (but some of its options are not supported and will be ignored)
#

-pool  us2.ethermine.org:4444 -pool2  us1.ethermine.org:4444 -worker desktop -wal YOUR ADDRESS -proto 3 -gt 0 -acm

# Uncomment this to force the miner to read the dual-mining pools from the dpools.txt file
# instead of the command-line
#-dcoin blake2s 

Untitled.jpg.902f3a081f17cdffed658a1e91f0bef2.jpg

Recently had this issue as well. Everytime I switched to "compute" mode, it would restart and still be in gaming. All I had to do to fix this was then restart my PC as well. Once I booted up again it was in compute mode. Seems like a bug in the Radeon drivers, but I had this issue as well as a friend and restarting the PC got it to switch no problem.

8 hours ago, TheBahrbarian said:

Recently had this issue as well. Everytime I switched to "compute" mode, it would restart and still be in gaming. All I had to do to fix this was then restart my PC as well. Once I booted up again it was in compute mode. Seems like a bug in the Radeon drivers, but I had this issue as well as a friend and restarting the PC got it to switch no problem.

I mean sounds kinda logical to me that you have to restart your computer after "switching modes" but if that's the case it's baffling it still didn't work for the OP, you'd think they'd restarted their pc at least once... 🤔

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 8 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 10:38 AM, airborne spoon said:

If you open a mining program like phoenix miner and use the -acm in the line will enable AMD compute mode. I dont know of any way to change the mode for things like F@H

Where do you enter this command?