Why internet upload speed in Canada lags world average

marty_1986

Meh, I think the problem is more on the price of internet in Canada. We don't really get good deals on internet.

I'm sure the US is worse 

Nope, US average speed is about 22mbps, more than Canada's 7. Sure some parts here are particularly bad (I'm looking at you desert regions) but at least we aren't Canada slow.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Meanwhile my country, of which 99% of world population has never heard of, has the 4th fastest internet in the world...

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Nope, US average speed is about 22mbps, more than Canada's 7. Sure some parts here are particularly bad (I'm looking at you desert regions) but at least we aren't Canada slow.

Not according to The Verge. I am not sure where you are getting your information. http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/1/2990469/average-global-internet-speed-drop-us

The LTE on my phone is faster than my home connection. Its about the same down (25mbps) but the upload is like 15mbps compared to my 4 at home

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Meanwhile my country, of which 99% of world population has never heard of, has the 4th fastest internet in the world...

I am sure it's only 90% has never heard of Latvia, 9% has heard of Latvia by name only, and 1% actually knows a little bit about Latvia. :D

Not according to The Verge. I am not sure where you are getting your information. http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/1/2990469/average-global-internet-speed-drop-us

From the very website of the article. I can't look at the verge because their site refuses to load for me, I have no idea why. Also my 7 mbps for Canada was the upload speed, my mistake.

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

From the very website of the article. I can't look at the verge because their site refuses to load for me, I have no idea why. Also my 7 mbps for Canada was the upload speed, my mistake.

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

I dont' believe that website. They are saying that Australia has 14mbps...

I'm sure the US is worse 

Nope! In India the place where I live the best unlimited Internet with no data cap offers me only 1Mbps upto 6GB and after 6GB the speed drops to 0.5 Mbps. The speed remains same for both upload and download. I am sure that even the Open Wi-Fi hotspot in USA would have better speeds. 

I am moving to Bangalore soon where the plans are little better with 4Mbps unlimited at reasonable cost but the upload speed is still 0.5Mbps so very low.

Nope! In India the place where I live the best unlimited Internet with no data cap offers me only 1Mbps upto 6GB and after 6GB the speed drops to 0.5 Mbps. The speed remains same for both upload and download. I am sure that even the Open Wi-Fi hotspot in USA would have better speeds. 

I am moving to Bangalore soon where the plans are little better with 4Mbps unlimited at reasonable cost but the upload speed is still 0.5Mbps so very low.

We're talking about averages. I'm sure there are places in India with Gigabit speeds.

I pay $50/month for 0.5Mbps up.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

We're talking about averages. I'm sure there are places in India with Gigabit speeds.

Gigabit? You've got to be kidding me. The maximum speed I have heard from anyone here is about 10-20 Megabits. That too very rare. Most people rely on Internet speeds below 2Mbps and even a 512Kbps Internet is still advertized as broadband here.

So a gigabit? Of course no. Watching a YouTube video at 1080p or heck even 720p is a dream at most of the places. Heck before this year many people including me relied on 2G EDGE speeds of like 128 Kbit/sec.

So the Internet situation is a lot more worse here in India.

Just for your information the Average Internet speed in India is 1 Megabit/sec which is way less than in the USA. So guys really stop complaining, you guys have got some real good Internet infrastructure and it is continuously evolving by companies like Google.

So I am real tired of USA guys complaining about their Internet. There are many many places where Internet is a lot more worse like India, China, Philippines and all the third world countries. Be thankful for what you have.

I pay $50/month for 0.5Mbps up.

This is what I am talking about. USA has pretty good Internet when compared to other countries, but these guys are gonna keep complaining.

Gigabit? You've got to be kidding me. The maximum speed I have heard from anyone here is about 10-20 Megabits. That too very rare. Most people rely on Internet speeds below 2Mbps and even a 512Kbps Internet is still advertized as broadband here.

So a gigabit? Of course no. Watching a YouTube video at 1080p or heck even 720p is a dream at most of the places. Heck before this year many people including me relied on 2G EDGE speeds of like 128 Kbit/sec.

So the Internet situation is a lot more worse here in India.

Just for your information the Average Internet speed in India is 1 Megabit/sec which is way less than in the USA. So guys really stop complaining, you guys have got some real good Internet infrastructure and it is continuously evolving by companies like Google.

So I am real tired of USA guys complaining about their Internet. There are many many places where Internet is a lot more worse like India, China, Philippines and all the third world countries. Be thankful for what you have.

We all complain about the stuff that we have. You complain about your 1Mb/s, I complain about 50Mb/s, the next guy complains about 150Mb/s and so it continues. There are people with worse internet than you who think you should stop complaining.

By the way, India does have Gigabit 

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/gigabit-internet-comes-to-india-at-kochis-startup-village-300295

http://daily.bhaskar.com/article/SCT-NEWS-fastest-internet-connections-india-readies-for-1-gbps-broadband-speed-3891132-NOR.html

It might have had been here in India at like one or two places but it is still a lot far away from succeeding because :

1. The Internet infrastructure in India is mostly copper based.

2. 90% of the hardware currently is limited to 100 Megabit bandwidth capacity because there isn't any faster Internet here, so no one invested that much.

3. The government here sucks. I know this applies to almost every country but in India it really sucks. They are some kind of morons controlling India. Maybe people like Arvind Kejriwal will change that. 

"average upload speed of 5.67 Mbps"

I envy you.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The article reports 7.03 for the US and only 5.67 for Canada, where are you finding these numbers? By the way this is UPLOAD speeds, not DOWNLOAD speeds. For the average user, upload speeds mater even less.

So I'm not sure where the article even gets these numbers. On the east coast of Canada (Nova Scotia) I pay for 80mbps down and 30mbps up... Not sure where and how they get their averages (average people pay for? or average availability?) But we get Fiber here and the upload speeds are all 30mbps for residential (Max of 250mbps download). It's not the fastest by any stretch and it's definitely no google fiber, but it's much much faster than the average for my province. The cheapest is 50 down and 30 up (for fiber). So I would really like to know where they get these numbers

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

The article reports 7.03 for the US and only 5.67 for Canada, where are you finding these numbers? By the way this is UPLOAD speeds, not DOWNLOAD speeds. For the average user, upload speeds mater even less.

So I'm not sure where the article even gets these numbers. On the east coast of Canada (Nova Scotia) I pay for 80mbps down and 30mbps up... Not sure where and how they get their averages (average people pay for? or average availability?) But we get Fiber here and the upload speeds are all 30mbps for residential (Max of 250mbps download). It's not the fastest by any stretch and it's definitely no google fiber, but it's much much faster than the average for my province. The cheapest is 50 down and 30 up (for fiber). So I would really like to know where they get these numbers

The main reason you get better internet connections available in Eastern Canada (Fiber, etc) is because the majority of Canada's population is clustered in the East. Specifically, Ontario, Quebec and the Maritime Provinces cover over 50% of the population, and in a smaller area. 

BC and Alberta (and provinces in between) cover a much larger area with a smaller proportion of the population. 

High speed/capacity internet connections are only viable for residential housing if the population density is high enough. Most places in Canada (being the second largest country) has a very low population density. OneGigabit in Vancouver is in the same position - it's not economically sensible to include Fiber connections to residents all over Vancouver, which is why they're focusing on retrofitting apartment buildings first, and if enough demand arises, they'll open up to residential houses. 

These numbers are based on ordinary copper/cable connections provided by the big ISPs - Shaw, Telus, Rogers, Bell, and a handful of other big names. These are all available pretty much everywhere in Canada (with some exceptions like the Northern provinces or in between Alberta and Ontario). Even Teksavvy, a reputable ISP, doesn't go above 2.5Mbps upload for around $35-40/month. If you want any more than that, the price goes up. A lot. The big names above usually cap at about 2Mbps. These are the types of connections that the average consumer goes for - the ones who don't know or care enough about Fiber to want it. The ones who don't realize that Fiber is necessary due to content becoming digital. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Yes, I realized that in my second post and linked the website that the article used. Read the entire thread next time please.