Is it safe to add another ram kit?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Yah that will be fine. So long as the timings and whatnot match, which they will if you buy the same kit/part number, then you'll be fine. They could not match but then you'll have your RAM clock the to slowest timings and might cause issues with any XMP/DOCP configs.

Hello LTT community, I'm new here.

I'm sure maybe this has been posted before, but I wanted to clarify by asking in my own words

If I bought a corsair vengeance 2x8gb kit  and discovered I needed more ram, would I have any issues if I installed another vengeance kit with the exact same part number?

I dont know much about ram, I've never had more than 2 sticks
the exact model Ram I have and want to buy another kit of 2 of goes by part number CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Yah that will be fine. So long as the timings and whatnot match, which they will if you buy the same kit/part number, then you'll be fine. They could not match but then you'll have your RAM clock the to slowest timings and might cause issues with any XMP/DOCP configs.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

^^^^^

So long as they're the same clock speeds and types, you're good 🙂 It's when you try to pair say 2800s with 3600s (as an example) or something that you could have issues.

ram generally doesnt create may issues. as already said as long as clock speeds are fairly close (they dont HAVE to be exactly the same) it will work no problem. AXMP and XMP will be auto set at the lower ram speed if the stick are different. you also dont need ram that is the exact same model. you could have 2x8gb vengence and then 2x8gb trident z and as long as the speeds and latencys are pretty close you wont have issues.

27 minutes ago, TotalVirtue said:

Hello LTT community, I'm new here.

I'm sure maybe this has been posted before, but I wanted to clarify by asking in my own words

If I bought a corsair vengeance 2x8gb kit  and discovered I needed more ram, would I have any issues if I installed another vengeance kit with the exact same part number?

I dont know much about ram, I've never had more than 2 sticks
the exact model Ram I have and want to buy another kit of 2 of goes by part number CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

For best compatibility and performance I would strongly advise procuring a kit that has the exact same product number. Other than that if you find another kit that has the same clock speeds, voltage requirements and timings, it should be fine. Mismatching kits generally becomes more of a concern when trying to achieve higher clock speeds.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Not guaranteed to work, but having issues is rare.

One issue that ends up being particularly likely, however, is running 4 dimms at their rated speed. Depending on the CPU, of course, the memory controller might not be able to handle it. 4x8GB at 3200MHz can be an issue for something like a ryzen 5 2600, so you might be looking at a little manual tweaking to overcome that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad