Why do manufactures and AMD say 1gen ryzen isn't compatible on 570 when it is??

Npiet1

So recently I had to update a Bios on a x570, even though it was 3000 series ready on the box, the 3200g didn't work, however the Ryzen 1400 did. The 1st gen Ryzen's where never compatible with the 570 chipset according to any of the manufacturers or even AMD, so why is it and why say it's not? 

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what motherboard?

asus prime x570-pro but there's other threads and news articles with multiple manufactures like gigabyte and MSI all running 1st gen on a 570.  

I think it depends on the motherboard manufacturer and there bios chip sizes

some manufacturers had to stop supporting Gen 1 as there wasn't enough space on the bios for gen 1 to gen 3 

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

There's two different questions at play here.

1, does it work at all?

2, does it officially work and is supported?

You have have a working system but not one that is officially supported. If anything goes wrong, there is NO support. You're on your own. This is like the ECC capability of AM4 Ryzen. It's there, it can be enabled, but if it works correctly or not, who knows. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

There's two different questions at play here.

1, does it work at all?

2, does it officially work and is supported?

You have have a working system but not one that is officially supported. If anything goes wrong, there is NO support. You're on your own. This is like the ECC capability of AM4 Ryzen. It's there, it can be enabled, but if it works correctly or not, who knows. 

1. Yeah it does, got into the bios updated no longer works. 

2. I get you, will it support all the features of the 570? like being able to use the pci 4 at it's fullest (I don't think it can from what I remember due to the lanes of the cpu.) 

23 minutes ago, Npiet1 said:

2. I get you, will it support all the features of the 570? like being able to use the pci 4 at it's fullest (I don't think it can from what I remember due to the lanes of the cpu.) 

Still not quite right. Older CPUs wont support PCIe 4.0 regardless of the chipset. My answer was purely looking at the CPU. Even if the CPU appears to work, there is no guarantee it will work correctly.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

Still not quite right. Older CPUs wont support PCIe 4.0 regardless of the chipset. My answer was purely looking at the CPU. Even if the CPU appears to work, there is no guarantee it will work correctly.

But wouldn't it still be ideal to mention you could use it for flashing bios for new CPU's?

1st reason the bios memory on many boards is too small to guarantee compatibility with all Ryzen chips

2nd reason they want to sell motherboads

basically the same reasons why x370 doesn't support 4th gen Ryzen

fun fact Ryzen is an SoC and doesn't even require a chipset to work

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler