Ok, my headset mic broke. What now?

pipnina

I bought my ASUS vulcan ANC just over a year ago. The audio quality is good and so was the microphones, that is, until the microphone started crackling and eventually stopped working altogether.

This is a (very) large inconvenience as I am almost permanently on skype with people or using voice chat in-game. (or, on semi-rare occasions, recording gameplay with my friend)

But now that my present one has gone all the way up to cloud cuckoo land. I am confused as to what will be a suitable replacement.

I'm not after anything audiophile grade, (probably £40 and not much more). And it has to be directional so that it won't pick up my brother (who is in the same room).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

~pipnina

RMA it, or if you can't, buy a modmic.com

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

Buy a Blue Snowball

RMA it, or if you can't, buy a modmic.com

good choices but this is a way cheaper and faster fix 

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

But a zalman clip on, a modmic, or a desktop mic as a replacment. ASUS customer service is pretty horrible and this would be a must faster solution as long as you don't mind actually buying something.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

But a zalman clip on, a modmic, or a desktop mic as a replacment. ASUS customer service is pretty horrible and this would be a must faster solution as long as you don't mind actually buying something.

Yup clip on or modmic. Modmic is if you want quality. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

What kind of desk microphone could I get?

Again, I live in the UK and my budget is £40,

Help is, again, appreciated!

I don't think you're gonna find many directional options for your budget. A shotgun mic (like this) might work, but I'm not sure how exactly you'd mount it at a desk. Best thing to do with a low budget is get a cheap mic, turn the gain down, and get it close to your mouth (pretty much what a headset does). Here's a nifty neck-band mic that should work for that purpose: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamic-Headset-Microphone-Elastic-Headband/dp/B000KHDZ64/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1395368240&sr=8-47&keywords=microphone

modmic is something good and easy to set up. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

sounds like the soldering wore off internally. Personally, I'd crank it open and resolder it, but not everyone has a soldering iron. 

Get a modmic if you can find a directional one, if not, find something else. There are many options.