Apple Mac Mini M1 8GB is it enough for video editing?

Hello guys! I have a quick question. Is the newest Mac Mini M1 equipped with 8 GBs of RAM capable of video editing? I mean is it enough? I don't want to pay extra for another 8 gigs. I just want to switch from PC entirely to macOS. 

to be honest i probably wouldn't use the mini pc's like the mac mini and intel nucs or gigabyte brix for edeting

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

Looking at the reviews looks like it's enough (for now).

If you just making a quick 3 minutes videos for youtube, i think it's okay.

Be aware this is a 1st gen product, and  M1 ram is not upgradeable.

Don't be surprise if Apple decided to have 16gb as the entry level in the next generation laptop.

Because ram chips are basically cheap right now.

5 years ago you can use a laptop comfortably with just 4gb, now it is raised to 8gb.

You can get away with smaller ssd in it, as you can use external drive.

No problem if you plan to use this laptop short term like 2-3 years tops.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 minutes ago, flashiling said:

to be honest i probably wouldn't use the mini pc's like the mac mini and intel nucs or gigabyte brix for edeting

it really depends. I have 8GB and I am doing 720p video editing and I have even tried 1080p and it somewhat works, even with my low end specs. You really need to "know your hardware". Also I don't think you would be able to go haywire with special effects. Try it out and keep an eye on temperatures as apple products from my knowledge like to heat up

i'll make it short: Youtube --> Maxtech.

They did answer exactly that, and showed what's possible and what not.

If you're too lazy: Up to 4k videos with like 10-20 minutes, it's fine, after that 8gb will become a small problem.

Of course, it depends not only the resolution but how complex your videos are.

For pure private-user-stuff, it will be fine.

But if you want to switch completely over, and you plan to keep it as long as possible (instead only 2-3~ years), i highly suggest 16gb Ram - "just to be save".

There is no reason a Mac Mini shouldn't last you longer, than Apple even supports it with Updates.

I've heard 8GB of RAM actually works pretty smoothly for video editing on the M1 Macs, but obviously that can vary depending on the software being used and on many other factors.

I'd go with 16GB just to be sure, but if you feel that it's not a worthwhile expense or if you just can't afford it, it's fine to go with 8GB. Just keep in mind that you cannot upgrade the RAM at all, so you'll be stuck with 8GB.

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux