Weird problem with TV as second monitor.

Giga0

Hi,

Just bough 10m HDMI cable to connect my TV to PC and weird things are happening. My TV does not recognise deviceand does not display it, my pc see its samsung TV but as soon as i switch to that HDMI signal on TV it starts freaking out. My monitor starts turning on and off, well it looks a lil bit like black screen between changing the resolution. After it will do it couple of times it starts turning off and on my usb ports leading to USB sound all the time nad my mouse not working, and when it starts working it jumps to the middle of screen so i cant even do anything unless i unplug the HDMI cable.

I ruled out damaged cable, used it in other config (switch + tv and PC+monitor) worked fine. 

Ruled out faulty hdmi both on pc and tv.

Ruled out 2 (3 to be precise as i also have vr) display conflict by connecting only hdmi.

My Monitor (connected with display port) is ACER XB240h

TV - Samsung UE55MU7042

Pc - I7-8700, RTX 2070, Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X

Any idea what can be happening? I dont even how to google it as it always point to faulty cables. 

My tv had no problem displaying my pc but it was a few years back and i basicly upgraded my pc completly from that time, but it just shows the tv can recognise device as it evne labled it as pc. 

Had the same problem. I just bought more expensive ACTIVE HDMI cable. Boom, 4k@60Hz over 15meters, no problem.

Its a cheap off brand but it claim its HDMI 2.0  so i figured it would be fine. 

@Edit

Also my screen resolution is 1080p + i switched to 30 fps in nvidia control panel. 

Ok i tried again to go with 30 Hz but also changed color scheme to Nvidia one from custom and it worked. After that i changed back to 60 Hz mode and its still working. 

@Edit

Switched now to custom colors + 100 Hz and its still working...i have no idea what the h is going on and i have thing feeling that tomorrow i will have this problem all over again. Will keep posting with updates if anything changes. 

23 hours ago, Giga0 said:

Ok i tried again to go with 30 Hz but also changed color scheme to Nvidia one from custom and it worked. After that i changed back to 60 Hz mode and its still working. 

@Edit

Switched now to custom colors + 100 Hz and its still working...i have no idea what the h is going on and i have thing feeling that tomorrow i will have this problem all over again. Will keep posting with updates if anything changes. 

Please use "quote" button when replying, else i wont get notification about your updates.

What you are describing is absolutely the same thing that was happening to me. I too was at first trying to mess with display settings, but that didn't help in a long run.
Than my colleague recommended active one-directional cable - about 40€ - and since than no problems.

You can easily find out if the problem is in your devices - just use shorter cable and if there is no problem, than your problem is long cable. Solution? Use shorter or better cable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, Fragment323 said:

Please use "quote" button when replying, else i wont get notification about your updates.

What you are describing is absolutely the same thing that was happening to me. I too was at first trying to mess with display settings, but that didn't help in a long run.
Than my colleague recommended active one-directional cable - about 40€ - and since than no problems.

You can easily find out if the problem is in your devices - just use shorter cable and if there is no problem, than your problem is long cable. Solution? Use shorter or better cable.

No problem at all ever since, long cable was the whole point :). 

• 2 months later...

So my problem is sort of back. I had to reinstall windows and at beginning my TV again did not coop with PC. I went through some options in nvidia display options and set up both pc and tv display to 1080p + 60 fps and it works but only as extended monitor, i cant mirror my image to it and also i cant just use it as the only monitor. Im preaty sure there is something wrong with my tv software. But on same cable and laptop it works good...enough. Any ideas what tv settings should i look into? How to open advanced or dev settings on my tv?