Should I get a NVMe SSD without DRAM or a sata SSD with DRAM?

Stark Odinson

I am about to build a PC with a super tight budget, using a 3100 with a 1650/1660/rx570 8gb(the best one I can find in my budget)

And I would have 256/512 gb ssd + 1tb hdd

Where I need you help is deciding which SSD i should choose

Primarily I am going to do coding, medium gaming(Halo MCC, Apex, Doom: Eternal, Forza Horizon 4, Call of Duty, Minecraft, maybe Cyberpunk, etc ), medium video editing, light photo editing and the usual browsing the internet 

Please consider the prices I have given as the final prices and please ignore the prices given on the retail/official websites.

Also please tell me if getting a 250gb 970 evo would be better/not better over getting a 500 gb sata for the exact same price

Thank you

P.S.

I obviously would be making my SSD the boot drive.

I have watched these videos What Are DRAM-less SSDsWhat SSD To Buy As Fast As PossibleDoes a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers? 

and I would try to keep as many games I can on the ssd, this is another area when the nvme with/without dram and smaller capacity vs sata with/without dram with double capacity comes in play.

Also, for eg getting a 970 evo 500 gb would directly affect into getting a 1650 instead of a 1660 and so on

Just now, Stark Odinson said:

I am about to build a PC with a super tight budget, using a 3100 with a 1650/1660/rx570 8gb(the best one I can find in my budget)

And I would have 256/512 gb ssd + 1tb hdd

Where I need you help is deciding which SSD i should choose

Primarily I am going to do coding, medium gaming(Halo MCC, Apex, Doom: Eternal, Forza Horizon 4, Call of Duty, Minecraft, maybe Cyberpunk, etc ), medium video editing, light photo editing and the usual browsing the internet 

Please consider the prices I have given as the final prices and please ignore the prices given on the retail/official websites.

Also please tell me if getting a 250gb 970 evo would be better/not better over getting a 500 gb sata for the exact same price

Thank you

P.S.

I obviously would be making my SSD the boot drive.

I have watched these videos What Are DRAM-less SSDsWhat SSD To Buy As Fast As PossibleDoes a Faster SSD Matter for Gamers? 

and I would try to keep as many games I can on the ssd, this is another area when the nvme with/without dram and smaller capacity vs sata with/without dram with double capacity comes in play. 

sata with dram

Just now, myb54 said:

sata with dram

which one?

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA M.2 or a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 

did you just answer by reading the title?, give the contents also a glance fam

2 minutes ago, Stark Odinson said:

which one?

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA M.2 or a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 

did you just answer by reading the title?, give the contents also a glance fam

860 EVO SATA 2.5" SSD 500GB

IMO from original list MX500 is the most sensible option. Because it is cheap (and you can probably use those money elsewhere) and is still a good SSD. You will not notice any visible difference between 860evo mx500 or even 970evo, not without a stopwatch, especially on budget system.

Id probablay go sn550, normally faster than the sata drives, and you get the lower overhead from nvme.

But really it won't matter much for basic windows use and games. I have used a lot of ssds from optane to dramless sata drives, and there pretty simmilar in day to day use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K1HMMJC/

How about none of the above and get a dram equipped SX8200 Pro nvme drive cheaper than any of the dram sata drives. Ignore the people complaining about the controller swap, yeah it's scummy but realistically the drive is still insanely better value than the low end QLC drives.