m.2 NVME detected as SATA

Go to solution Solved by Aleks K.,

Never mind, I'm really happy to say that I found something called Compatibility Support Module (CSM) in BIOS. It did the trick and allowed me to enter my other OS even though almost every part of this PC is different than the ones it's used to and it needed to install some things in order to work with the new parts.

I want to say Thank You to everyone for the replies !!! Both my issues were resolved!

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my rig. Along with my MB, CPU and PSU I bought a new SSD. The old one is Samsung's 850 EVO NVME m.2. It works excellent, I don't have any complains.

So here's the problem.. When I got my new MB (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero) I installed the new SSD (Samsung 980 PRO) to the first m.2 slot and my 850 EVO to the second. I installed Windows to the 980 and everything works fine. In windows I can see the 850 EVO and I can access it. I can also see my 2 HDDs. The problem is that my MBs BIOS detects the 850 EVO as a SATA drive and I can't find any way to "tell" the BIOS that this is a second m.2 NVME drive. What is worse is that I have a completely working Windows with all kinds of settings and everything on that 850 EVO and I want to access it, I want to be able to log in both OS-es on both drives (just for a while so I could get some software settings etc.).

So in short. I have 2 m.2 NVMEs but the BIOS detects only one and the other is marked as SATA AHCI drive. Also the BIOS can't detect that there's an OS on the wrongly labeled drive and I can't log on it.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

MB: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi

CPU: Ryzen 5900X

GPU: AORUS Xtreme Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (installed on the 1st PCI slot)

Your 850 EVO is a SATA drive. It's showing up exactly how it should. It's not an NVMe drive. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Your issue with booting to the second drive has nothing to do with how it is detected. You need to update the boot loader using bcdedit to add the other OS as a choice. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

OMG, I'm really sorry, I feel so stupid for not checking the whole 850 EVO situation.. As for the booting - I looked it up but can't find a direct answer to how exactly to update the boot loader. I did find the commands to delete and to create a new one, however I'm not really sure how to proceed with this and would really appreciate if you could give me some more information on how to update.

Thank you all for the help so far !!!

Never mind, I'm really happy to say that I found something called Compatibility Support Module (CSM) in BIOS. It did the trick and allowed me to enter my other OS even though almost every part of this PC is different than the ones it's used to and it needed to install some things in order to work with the new parts.

I want to say Thank You to everyone for the replies !!! Both my issues were resolved!