Is there ANY privacy with a Google device present?

Jet_ski
Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
9 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Has anyone with a Google Home, Pixel phone, or Chromecast noticed they are receiving targeted marketing mail based on conversations they have had near their devices?

This is happened to us for the third time in the last 12 months. And our Google privacy setting is on “max privacy” if that actually means anything. But I suspect Google to be the culprit, my partner like their devices and all of the marketing mails arrive with her name on them. I checked and every app on her phone seems to have ok privacy policy, and most of them don’t have permission to access the microphone or cameras.

This is just too creepy, it’s one thing to see relevant ads online, it’s an entirely different story to have random companies get your name, address, and whatever else Google sold them.

Some people will swear that their smart devices are targeting ads based on conversations, but there's no real evidence to indicate they're doing this.

Chromecasts don't have always-ready microphones, for starters. And the mics aren't actively recording on your Home or Pixel -- they're just waiting for a wake word before they do anything. Besides, the computational demands on Google's part for always-on ad targeting would be ridiculous. It'd need enough computational power to actively monitor hundreds of millions of Assistant devices around the clock.

More often than not, it's most likely that you've done something else that sparked the targeted advertising, or even that circumstances happened to align. That it only happened three times in a year sounds like evidence Google isn't listening in — you'd think Google would want do to that a lot more often if it had the power to eavesdrop.

Has anyone with a Google Home, Pixel phone, or Chromecast noticed they are receiving targeted marketing mail based on conversations they have had near their devices?

This is happened to us for the third time in the last 12 months. And our Google privacy setting is on “max privacy” if that actually means anything. But I suspect Google to be the culprit, my partner like their devices and all of the marketing mails arrive with her name on them. I checked and every app on her phone seems to have ok privacy policy, and most of them don’t have permission to access the microphone or cameras.

This is just too creepy, it’s one thing to see relevant ads online, it’s an entirely different story to have random companies get your name, address, and whatever else Google sold them.

7 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Haven't noticed that myself but I am sure some folks will chime in saying it is happening…spoiler alert, it is not.

-kp

Seems a little tinfoil hat like, but no, I haven't.

Welcome to the new world. If you don't like it, get a flip phone. Nokia makes some nice ones.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, kpluck said:

Haven't noticed that myself but I am sure some folks will chime in saying it is happening…spoiler alert, it is not.

-kp

Several months ago we were invited to a ski trip in Colorado in a call on a Pixel 3. And within a week we received a letter from Amex about paying for a trip to Colorado using borrowed miles!

And today we received a letter about eye exams after having several conversations over the last few weeks about needing to visit an optometrist.

0ADE24A2-99B1-4CF0-A15A-2572275AB5FF.thumb.jpeg.8d782d784d83e252c611270c6467f310.jpeg

They are just seriously too targeted and too timely. And we don’t get any junk mail, only a handful of marketing offers from places we’ve shopped from or used trial offers.

I’m not picking a few letters out of many that happen to coincide with my conversations.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Seems a little tinfoil hat like, but no, I haven't.

Welcome to the new world. If you don't like it, get a flip phone. Nokia makes some nice ones.

I know how it sounds and I hate it. But then I see articles like this and become uncomfortable with having those devices.

Facebook Tinkers With Users’ Emotions in News Feed Experiment, Stirring Outcry

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/technology/facebook-tinkers-with-users-emotions-in-news-feed-experiment-stirring-outcry.html

Just now, Jet_ski said:

I know how it sounds and I hate it. But then I see articles like this and become uncomfortable with having those devices.

Facebook Tinkers With Users’ Emotions in News Feed Experiment, Stirring Outcry

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/technology/facebook-tinkers-with-users-emotions-in-news-feed-experiment-stirring-outcry.html

Haha, I mean, if you're going to use Facebook of all things...

They're a very well known evil.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have a Google Home in my bedroom, a Google Nest mini in a bathroom, a Lenovo Smart Clock with Google Assistant in my office as well as another Google Home in my kitchen. I have had these devices for years now with no issues. I also have Alexa devices in my home (Echo Dots, Echo Show 5) and haven't had any issues with them either. Granted, I already get tons of junk mail, but it's never anything relevant to anything I've discussed with other people in my home or while on phone calls in my home. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

9 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Some people will swear that their smart devices are targeting ads based on conversations, but there's no real evidence to indicate they're doing this.

Chromecasts don't have always-ready microphones, for starters. And the mics aren't actively recording on your Home or Pixel -- they're just waiting for a wake word before they do anything. Besides, the computational demands on Google's part for always-on ad targeting would be ridiculous. It'd need enough computational power to actively monitor hundreds of millions of Assistant devices around the clock.

More often than not, it's most likely that you've done something else that sparked the targeted advertising, or even that circumstances happened to align. That it only happened three times in a year sounds like evidence Google isn't listening in — you'd think Google would want do to that a lot more often if it had the power to eavesdrop.

26 minutes ago, Commodus said:

... the computational demands on Google's part for always-on ad targeting would be ridiculous. It'd need enough computational power to actively monitor hundreds of millions of Assistant devices around the clock.

Those are very solid points.