dual error- Optical Drive not being recognized & Black BIOS screen, but has the mouse cursor

Arisaka

Greetings all,

I have a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3 mobo, and when I attempt to get into UEFI, I get a black screen, but the mouse cursor does show up and can be moved around.  I reset the CMOS, but this didn't help.
It has a nvme boot drive, 5 SATA HHD, and 1 optical blurray player.

I wanted to get into the BIOS to see why after adding the 5th HHD, the optical drive wasn't being recognized.  Swapping SATA ports doesn't seem to help, once the 5th HHD is added, the optical drive goes away.

Thank you all!

Two things:

1. It's HDD, not HHD.

2. Does the optical drive show up when you have your M.2 drive disconnected?

elephants

6 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Two things:

1. It's HDD, not HHD.

2. Does the optical drive show up when you have your M.2 drive disconnected?

the M.2 is the boot drive, so no way to test that, but for the sake discussion, what if it did, or didn't?

Well, your optical drive should be detectable in the BIOS.

So disconnect it and then it should show up for this reason:

Typically, M.2 slots and SATA ports share chipset bandwidth, and M.2 devices take priority. So when an M.2 device is installed, 1 or 2 SATA ports will be disabled.

Has this system worked with all devices working before or no?

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Well, your optical drive should be detectable in the BIOS.

So disconnect it and then it should show up for this reason:

Typically, M.2 slots and SATA ports share chipset bandwidth, and M.2 devices take priority. So when an M.2 device is installed, 1 or 2 SATA ports will be disabled.

Has this system worked with all devices working before or no?

before the 5th HDD was put in place, I didn't go into the BIOS for months, of not over a year, so I have no idea if the UEFI was working or not.

I pulled off all SATA devices, and still cant into the UEFI; still black with the cursor.

Just now, Arisaka said:

before the 5th HDD was put in place, I didn't go into the BIOS for months, of not over a year, so I have no idea if the UEFI was working or not.

I pulled off all SATA devices, and still cant into the UEFI; still black with the cursor.

Do you have a DisplayPort monitor plugged in?
If so, unplug it.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Do you have a DisplayPort monitor plugged in?
If so, unplug it.

no, it's an HDMI screen.  Before, I thought it was a monitor problem and switched the HDMI port.

Just now, Arisaka said:

no, it's an HDMI screen.  Before, I thought it was a monitor problem and switched the HDMI port.

I'm out of ideas. If anyone else wants to chime in: go ahead - I can't figure it out.

elephants

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I'm out of ideas. If anyone else wants to chime in: go ahead - I can't figure it out.

thinking it might be a display issue, I found out that Gigabyte UEFI can have resolution issues with certain displays.  I noticed that text was being cut off at the initial boot, then I remembered the last time I went into the BIOS was on a different monitor, so I plugged it into a different monitors.  It's OK.
 Problem was the monitor, thankfully 🙂