Zotac gtx 1070 100% fan speed but fan rpm 0 yet fans are spinning slow.

Flipstylin
Go to solution Solved by Flipstylin,
19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah if DDU, reinstalling drivers and also reinstalling Afterburner doesn't fix it you may want to look into fan replacements. 

But what happens if you set the default fancurve, ie don't use Afterburner at all, do the fans spin normally that then? That would be the first troubleshooting step.

I found the solution, I figured out it was the fan connection or the fans themselves, so I took apart my gpu, took the fans out, and cleaned them re applied oil to aid in spinning, there was alot of old grease built up and gunking  it up, after the thorough cleaning, and some testing, I haven't ran into the issue yet,  my fan speed is 79% following a curve on GPU tweak 3 doing 2950rpm solid. Thank you for help with the ddu and driver stuff, I did that incase it was an issue heard alot of problems with the recent nvidia driver 

Hello, my names Davin, new to the forums, but have been helped by many threads,  my issue i have ran into is as follows, Zotac Gtx 1070 while gaming is having problems keeping my fan curve, I'm using Msi afterburner and have my fan speed at 100% (for testing the issue)  it runs normally showing me the rpm of the fans, after an undetermined time as it is random, sometimes 10-20min then occurs or occurs right away,  the sensor for the rpm says 0, the fan speed is still at 100% and when looking at the fan blades they are spinning, but slowly, causing my gpu to heat up past 90c, been trying all sorts of things, anything that can help would be appreciated. I'm kind of thinking it may need a fan replacement,  thanks for your time everyone!

My specs are gpu: zotac gtx 1070

Cpu: intel i5 8400 

Currently inspecting and cleaning the gpu, so I can get bios info later, thank you,  should be up to date, 

yeah if DDU, reinstalling drivers and also reinstalling Afterburner doesn't fix it you may want to look into fan replacements. 

But what happens if you set the default fancurve, ie don't use Afterburner at all, do the fans spin normally that then? That would be the first troubleshooting step.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'll try that now, thank you, 

So far deleting msi afterburner allows the fans to run somewhat normal i think, fans don't spin at all until 60c then spin, with rpm matching, tried gaming, only noticed one time that the rpm dropped to 0 then 300 and raised after to normal 1600rpm+

3 hours ago, Flipstylin said:

I'll try that now, thank you, 

19 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I found the solution, I figured out it was the fan connection or the fans themselves, so I took apart my gpu, took the fans out, and cleaned them re applied oil to aid in spinning, there was alot of old grease built up and gunking  it up, after the thorough cleaning, and some testing, I haven't ran into the issue yet,  my fan speed is 79% following a curve on GPU tweak 3 doing 2950rpm solid. Thank you for help with the ddu and driver stuff, I did that incase it was an issue heard alot of problems with the recent nvidia driver