Second M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Not Showing in Win/BIOS

zebra67
Go to solution Solved by Convictions,

Try putting your working m.2 in the slot that you're having trouble with. If it shows up, your new drive is bad. If it doesn't... may be the mobo itself.

So, just a quick explanation:

I purchased a 1TB (Crucial) M.2 NVMe SSD (PCI, not SATA) - That is not showing up in Disk Management, Device Manager, or BIOS.

I currently already have a Samsung EVO m.2 installed in the PCIe Gen3 x4 m.2 Slot on my board, with the 2nd (PCIe Gen2 x2 slot) being the one I'm trying to populate with the 1TB m.2 I just bought/installed.

I've triple checked every place that I can remember to check, with no luck whatsoever.

For those who need a reference to what hardware I'm using:

ASrock X470 Master SLI/AC - Mobo (with updated BIOS v1.5)

CT1000P1SSD8 - Model of SSD I'm trying to install.

Please help. Lol

First time I've ever had an issue researching/figuring things out with installing storage.

EDIT:

Crucial's Exec Storage software also does not see the newly installed drive.

2 minutes ago, EpicTomato said:

Is BIOS updated to last version?

BIOS Is updated to a point in which updating further would serve no purpose in this case. The board itself supports out-of-box two m.2 PCIe capable SSDs.

EDIT: But yes, the BIOS has recently been updated - but it was for general performance purposes, nothing to do with non-working hardware.

Just now, Convictions said:

Have you tried reseating the m.2?

A couple times, yes. Even added non-conductive spacer/washer between the screw-head, and SSD board to make sure it was being held down firmly (but not too tight of course)

3 minutes ago, zebra67 said:

BIOS Is updated to a point in which updating further would serve no purpose in this case. The board itself supports out-of-box two m.2 PCIe capable SSDs.

EDIT: But yes, the BIOS has recently been updated - but it was for general performance purposes, nothing to do with non-working hardware.

Maybe SSD is broken, give it back.

I've attached an image that shows the only Storage Setup options available on my Mobo - I rifled through every menu I could trying to find any information related to NVMe/PCIe storage, and found nothing.

Adding to this: I also have a 1TB HDD (SATA) .. so the SATA controllers are necessary in this situation.. though it is only used for storage.

20210120_151720_HDR.jpg

Try putting your working m.2 in the slot that you're having trouble with. If it shows up, your new drive is bad. If it doesn't... may be the mobo itself.

Just now, Convictions said:

Oy-vey................................................................ Will report back soon, I guess. -_-

1 hour ago, Convictions said:

Though, this answer was (THANKFULLY) not the case...

This did lead to the solution; to which I do not understand exactly what caused things to 'click' and work.. but everything is all good, now.

Essentially.. I wanted to see if I could force the PC to look for the SSD while it was the only storage device installed. Unseated the Boot SSD from my main M.2 slot, and unplugged the SATA HDD.

This did exactly nothing. I had a Windows Utility USB installed waiting to format the drive if I could do it that way.. the utility couldn't see it.

This lead me to bringing the new 1TB SSD into the M.2 Ultra slot (where my boot drive is usually/main m.2 slot on my board) .. and boom! I could see the drive now.

This obviously was pretty good news; meaning my new SSD wasn't dead...but led me to believe my secondary M.2 slot was.

Thankfully, again, not the case.

I said "SCREW IT" ..figuratively, and literally lol..

Installed my Boot SSD (Samsung 250GB) into the secondary M.2 slot to see if an already initiated SSD would get picked up by the secondary slot.. and, cha-ching! We're in business.

I could now see both the new 1TB SSD, and my main Boot SSD. From here I tried a couple variations of trying to access the Windows Utility to format the new drive since it was in the main M.2 slot - didn't work.. about this point is where I started getting the dreaded Orange/White lines........

As a last resort after a few different possible fixes to work around my strangely changing issue.. I swapped everything back to normal, cleared the CMOS, and booted it up. This time (after turning on XMP Profile/Turning off Cool'n'Quet), UEFI still listed all drives, including the HDD I enabled/plugged back in... Booted into windows, and directly to the Disk Mgmt. tool; it immediately asked me to initialize! Formatted, and ready to use.

Even though none of us really came up with a solid answer; thank you for accidentally pointing me in the right direction! 🙂

Cheers.

Solved.