27" WQHD monitor for gaming and side monitor for work

PancakeFrenzy

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about doing 2x 27" monitors side by side. Computer will be used 50/50 for working and gaming. So the idea is to have UHD as main work monitor and WQHD as gaming monitor. By putting both of them on ergotron lx arm I could easily center one or the other on the desk, depending on the use case.

So I've already got LG 27GN950-B as the main UHD monitor (could be used for gaming in lighter titles). But I can't decide on the side WQHD gaming monitor. I was thinking about 27" Samsung G7 but will this be acceptable with the curve when used as a side monitor during work? As a second option I'm considering MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD.

What do you think will be a better choice?

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X

Cooling: Arctic Freezer II 360

GPU: PowerColor Radeon 6900 XT (reference edition)

motherboard: Gigabyte Master X570

RAM: 4x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz CL16

Power supply: Seasonic Prime TX 1000W 80 Plus Titanium

Lol you make it sound like the 27GN950 is not a good gaming monitor. It's as good as it gets. I'd just go with something cheaper as a 2nd montor. But on the other hand my OCD would probably lead me to buy a 2nd 27GN950 so i have matched panels 😄

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

34 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Lol you make it sound like the 27GN950 is not a good gaming monitor. It's as good as it gets. I'd just go with something cheaper as a 2nd montor. But on the other hand my OCD would probably lead me to buy a 2nd 27GN950 so i have matched panels 😄

The reason I want WQHD  is that in most graphic heavy titles I won't get 4k, 144Hz on ultra settings. So I'd have to crank something down, resolution, settings or accept 60Hz. I'd be fine with that on budget PC. It's like that joke with a car. If I paid for the whole speedometer I'm gonna use whole speedometer 😄 And yes, I was considering both 27GN950 😀

EDIT

If 2k resolution would look the same on native 4k and 2k monitors then it wouldn't be a problem and I could have one monitor that does it all but as I understand it PC needs to do interpolation to display 2k on 4k monitor because difference between those resolutions is a fraction instead of an integer

14 minutes ago, PancakeFrenzy said:

EDIT

If 2k resolution would look the same on native 4k and 2k monitors then it wouldn't be a problem and I could have one monitor that does it all but as I understand it PC needs to do interpolation to display 2k on 4k monitor because difference between those resolutions is a fraction instead of an integer

Afaik 1440p should still look better on a 4K panel than on a native 1440p panel when you let the screen do the scaling. So turning down the resolution is still a thing you can do. Idk if it's wildly different with TVs, but when i use 1440p on my 4K TV to get more FPS it almost looks as good as running the games at native 4K. Certainly better than 1440p.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Afaik 1440p should still look better on a 4K panel than on a native 1440p panel when you let the screen do the scaling. So turning down the resolution is still a thing you can do. Idk if it's wildly different with TVs, but when i use 1440p on my 4K TV to get more FPS it almost looks as good as running the games at native 4K. Certainly better than 1440p.

I'm still waiting for motherboard shipment so can't test it at this moment but you know what, I'll borrow a 2k 27" and do a side by side comparison, scaled down 2k on 4k and 2k on 2k. If that'll be the case that there's no difference or it even looks better on 4k then I guess it'll be another GN950 for me as a side monitor for smooth 144Hz browser scrolling 😃