Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can I run Dual Channel/How important is it?

I currently have 2x8gb RAM sticks in my PC. However, it is unfortunately not enough and I am going to save up to buy 2x16gb sticks. If I were to get the exact same RAM (timings, brand, etc) but just with different sizes, and run then together for a total of 48gb RAM, would I still be able to run Dual Channel? If so, how, and if not, how important is it? I don't use integrated graphics or anything, nor is the primary use of my PC gaming. It is more focused towards Orchestral Music writing. Would not having Dual Channel severely impact performance or is it not that important outside of a gaming situation? Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, TheArkhamKnight said:

I currently have 2x8gb RAM sticks in my PC. However, it is unfortunately not enough and I am going to save up to buy 2x16gb sticks. If I were to get the exact same RAM (timings, brand, etc) but just with different sizes, and run then together for a total of 48gb RAM, would I still be able to run Dual Channel? If so, how, and if not, how important is it? I don't use integrated graphics or anything, nor is the primary use of my PC gaming. It is more focused towards Orchestral Music writing. Would not having Dual Channel severely impact performance or is it not that important outside of a gaming situation? Thanks in advance.

Wait do you need 48GB? Would 32 be enough? 

Also while dual channel doesn't give a huge benefit outside of gaming, it does help with rendering and multithreaded tasks.

No you would not be able to run in dual channel with 4 sticks (That  know of) With ryzen dual channel is best for performance!

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <EVGA GTX 770 2GB> <16gb 3200Mhz> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe>  <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <Noctua P12 case fans>

Depends on motherboard and processor.

The amount equal on both channels will work in dual channel mode, and the rest will run in single channel mode.

So you'll want to put equal amount on both channels, 2 x 16 GB sticks in each channel, first slot (for example slots 2 and 4) and 2 x 8 GB sticks in each channel, 2nd slot of each channel (slots 1 and 3)

If you put the 2 16 GB sticks in slots 2 and 4, both of these will be one one channel, and the other will have only 2 x 8 GB ... so then only the amount equal in both channels will run in dual channel (32 GB , 16 GB from each channel x 2 channels)

You will want to double check that the motherboard supports 16 GB sticks, and that it supports more than 32 GB in total. Some motherboards don't support more than 32 GB.

Dual channel is important, it will give a few percent (up to 5-10%) increase, and in some applications (especially when using processors with integrated graphics) you can get weird random stutters or "hiccups" when in single channel mode.

In theory you can have dual channel with different capacity ram on each channel. Worth trying for as this is easy performance to get (or keep).

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If you put the 2 16 GB sticks in slots 2 and 4, both of these will be one one channel, and the other will have only 2 x 8 GB ... so then only the amount equal in both channels will run in dual channel (32 GB , 16 GB from each channel x 2 channels)

I think there is some confusion in there. One channel is slots 1+2, the other channel is slots 3+4. A typical two stick configuration for dual channel is using slots 2+4. So put the same capacity modules in those. Put the other capacity pair in the remaining slots.

So with a pair of 8GB modules and 16GB modules, I'd probably try the following:

Slot 1: 8GB

Slot 2: 16GB

Slot 3: 8GB

Slot 4: 16GB

Both channels then have 24GB with modules arranged in the same order.

You will want to double check that the motherboard supports 16 GB sticks, and that it supports more than 32 GB in total. Some motherboards don't support more than 32 GB.

16GB modules should be pretty safe in anything made in the last 5 years or so. It's 32GB modules that are more questionable.

Dual channel is important, it will give a few percent (up to 5-10%) increase, and in some applications (especially when using processors with integrated graphics) you can get weird random stutters or "hiccups" when in single channel mode.

I'd go even further and say ram bandwidth is an often overlooked factor to system performance. CPU execution potential has been increasing far faster than ram bandwidth for multiple generations. Bigger on-CPU caches help out somewhat but you still have to get the data in and out at some point. To me having dual channel ram in any system that supports it is a basic requirement and not difficult to meet.

Desktop Gaming system: Asrock Z370 Pro4, i7-8086k, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 4x16GB, Gigabyte 2070, NZXT E850 PSU, Cooler Master MasterBox 5, Optane 900p 280GB, Crucial MX200 1TB, Sandisk 960GB, Acer Predator XB241YU 1440p144 G-sync
TV Gaming system: Gigabyte Z490 Elite AC, i5-10600k, Noctua D15, Kingston HyperX RGB 4000@3600 2x8GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Corsair 230T, Crucial P1 1TB + MX500 1TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Asus Strix 1080Ti, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Former Main system: Asus Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700k, Noctua D14, G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 2x8GB, GTX 980Ti FE, Corsair HX750i, In Win 303 NVIDIA, Samsung SM951 512GB, WD Blue 1TB, Acer RT280k 4k60 FreeSync [link]
Gaming laptop: Asus FX503VD, i5-7300HQ, DDR4 2133 2x8GB, GTX 1050, Sandisk 256GB + 480GB SSD [link]

49 minutes ago, Downkey said:

Wait do you need 48GB? Would 32 be enough? 

Also while dual channel doesn't give a huge benefit outside of gaming, it does help with rendering and multithreaded tasks.

I don't necessarily need 48gb RAM always, but it's good to have the option, especially because some instruments I use take up a Gigabyte of RAM by themselves. So it's more of a case of giving me the option rather than always using it.

48 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The amount equal on both channels will work in dual channel mode, and the rest will run in single channel mode.

So you'll want to put equal amount on both channels, 2 x 16 GB sticks in each channel, first slot (for example slots 2 and 4) and 2 x 8 GB sticks in each channel, 2nd slot of each channel (slots 1 and 3)

I know that my motherboard supports up to 128gb total, I don't know about the module size. Will check know, thanks.

50 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Thanks, I've just check my motherboards memory support, and it can definitely handle up to 128gb, but I don't know about individual sizes. Does this make any sense to you?

3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors

4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 4400(O.C)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel Memory Architecture

ECC Memory (ECC mode) support varies by CPU.

* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

* The maximum memory frequency supported varies by processor.